Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Honestly, odds are that someone on the Bulls will break down between now and the playoffs and while the Bulls have been winning, they've been looking rough

I think they are better than the Wiz but I'm a firm believer in bogey teams and the Wizards are the Bulls' example of that.

Toronto vs DC would be fun to watch Wall vs Derozan but it would be horrible to watch basketball wise. Raptors don't play any freaking defense at all

And I didn't even mean to post in this thread lol. Woke up and thought this was the general NBA thread

Yeah but we're headed in opposite directions. We stagnated and regressed this season while the Bulls cohered and got better. Mirotic and Gasol make Chicago a different series than last season, plus Rose will be an X factor. They're playing better basketball than us and I think they probably beat us in the end. Especially since Nene has been rough.

Toronto, OTOH, cratered at the same time we did. Like us, they're not playing great basketball any more. And they also aren't the playoff tested squad Chicago is. I don't think they'll be any tougher than Chicago would be. If we actually had a coach that didn't suck and would go small and start Pierce at the 4, I think we could beat Toronto.

Yeah I hear you Steve. I know the Bulls got better but we just can't seem to beat the Raptors. I want no part of them.
  • Like 1

Yeah I hear you Steve. I know the Bulls got better but we just can't seem to beat the Raptors. I want no part of them.

We're not as tough or resilient as either team but if Beal and Nene pick up their game, we can certainly compete with both.

I'm just SO conflicted right now, fellas.  I think I've expressed it before, but as much as I want this team to win in the playoffs....I REALLY fear that any sustained run is going to result in both Wittman and EG being brought back.  I honestly feel that we're a legit coach away from being a consistent 50+ win team.  I've never had this feeling before as a fan of any of the teams that I follow, but I hope that a lesson is learned from watching Ovechkin and how many of his prime years were wasted due to inept coaching and front office decisions.  Wall and Beal aren't the transcendent talent(s) like Ovechkin is, but they are young enough that we still have a lot of time with them here in the city where they can make their mark in the league.  Let's hope that we can get someone in here who can elevate their games and REALLY put DC basketball on the map. 

• Like 3

A good coach definitely has us over 50 wins this season. I honestly think Randy cost us at least 8 wins and that kind of handicap is about what we can expect from him each season. Randy is our biggest weakness. Unless we win the ****ing championship, firing Randy should be the first and most obvious decision made this offseason. But I don't have faith in Ted to do it. Nor do I have faith in him and Ernie to find a legitimately good coach to replace him. If they actually do fire Wittman, I can see them half-assing the search and bringing in another mediocre coach.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 5

A good coach definitely has us over 50 wins this season. I honestly think Randy cost us at least 8 wins and that kind of handicap is about what we can expect from him each season. Randy is our biggest weakness. Unless we win the ****ing championship, firing Randy should be the first and most obvious decision made this offseason. But I don't have faith in Ted to do it. Nor do I have faith in him and Ernie to find a legitimately good coach to replace him. If they actually do fire Wittman, I can see them half-assing the search and bringing in another mediocre coach.

I feel as though we are almost at the exact point where the Warriors were last season before Jackson was fired. 

I've brought him up before, but I would LOVE to have Mike D'Antoni as coach next season. 

Randy must go, but it will be for naught if EG is around. He can't build a team competently for the long term and has no eye for coaching. The sooner Ted realizes that, the sooner the franchise moves forward. I abhor Randy as a coach, but EG is even worse. The local media needs to rip EG for his decade of baboonery.

Local media, IMO, has treated EG with kid gloves.  Same can be said of Wittman.  Not sure why, but neither guy has faced any sort of criticism/heat outside of our fanbase or NATIONAL media. 

The national NBA bloggers seem to be up on Wittman being terrible. Why the national NBA reporters are behind is a mystery.

Everytime I hear the national media mention Grunfeld, he gets full credit for the turnaround, but none of the blame for causing the mess that needed to be cleaned up.

He is ****ing teflon and I have no idea why. Must be a pretty likable fella when he's not managing a team with sole objective of keeping his job one more year.

Edited by StillUnknown

The national NBA bloggers seem to be up on Wittman being terrible. Why the national NBA reporters are behind is a mystery.

Everytime I hear the national media mention Grunfeld, he gets full credit for the turnaround, but none of the blame for causing the mess that needed to be cleaned up.

He is ****ing teflon and I have no idea why. Must be a pretty likable fella when he's not managing a team with sole objective of keeping his job one more year.

Grunfeld has a terrible track record...it's crazy to me, that with how the NBA is evolving, the Wizards haven't gotten with the times and made an overhaul of the front office. 

And going back to coaching, look at the job Brad Stevens is doing.  C's were supposed to be lottery bound, and they're on the verge of making the playoffs. 

Grunfeld has a terrible track record...it's crazy to me, that with how the NBA is evolving, the Wizards haven't gotten with the times and made an overhaul of the front office. 

And going back to coaching, look at the job Brad Stevens is doing.  C's were supposed to be lottery bound, and they're on the verge of making the playoffs. 

Brad Stevens was on my list forever, knew that was a pipe dream though.

I think Grunfeld made friends in the media going back to even before the NY days.  And I think he has an instinctive knack for keeping plausible scapegoats around.

For all the bad stuff that's happened on his watch--The total failure of the Arenas contract, Gungate, Andray Blatche, #5 for Mike Miller and Randy Foye, the 2011 draft, 5 straight years of top six draft picks--he's gotten remarkably little criticism outside the fan base.  Now it's like nothing before 2010 even happened.

2012 was probably the closest he came to getting fired.  Actually not fired.  Just not extended.  And I remember some fairly quiet talk around the league about how "Grunfeld couldn't possibly be extended, could he?"  But even that kind of talk was pretty muted.  It's really just the fan base that seems to notice how bad he is.

Its rare that everyone vehemently agrees that they both have to go... even in the midst of the best season in almost 30 YEARS!

Shouldnt that say something?

We'll win somewhere around 47 games.  What's depressing is that that qualifies as our best season in 30 years.  Just really hammers home the bleak gulf between our organization and the ones that are actually good.

• Like 1

Its rare that everyone vehemently agrees that they both have to go... even in the midst of the best season in almost 30 YEARS!

Shouldnt that say something?

To be fair, we're all nba fans so we know that despite the success by wizards standards, this team isn't what it should be. Also, it's hard to look at Grunfeld's draft record and not want to break things. 48 wins isn't going hide that burning dumpster.

Local media, IMO, has treated EG with kid gloves.  Same can be said of Wittman.  Not sure why, but neither guy has faced any sort of criticism/heat outside of our fanbase or NATIONAL media. 

Local media refuses to blame either of them for their mistakes, even after they've made them over and over. They are more than willing to claim the players aren't playing hard enough or not understanding this basic ass offense though. 

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12690080/washington-wizards-paul-pierce-speaks-truth

The Wizards plugged in former No. 3 pick Otto Porter Jr. in Pierce's place and he responded by averaging 13.6 points and nearly seven rebounds a game over past four outings.

"Otto is another one who just doesn't understand how good he is,'' Pierce said. "He can shoot, he's a slasher, he can defend, I'm just not sure how badly he wants it every day.

"That kid just needs to get mad. If he came to practice ticked off and to the games ticked off, he'd be fine. But it's hard to get Otto mad. I should punch him one day just to get him riled up.''

I hate that knock on Porter. Its very hard to "grow" aggression, you either have it or you don't.

there's a lot more info that link, but that Otto nugget stood out.

Edited by StillUnknown