Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

This pisses me off. This was a winnable game if just basic adjustments had been made. What the hell is the use of having such a versatile and deep roster if you don't ever make a damn adjustment?

Beal was just horrible down the stretch. Defense has also been sub par last two games.

He was playing with five fouls and a packed paint for a loooong time.

Terrible game by us. But how in the hell is PHX a .500 team.

Should they have more or less?

I think .500 in the West is about right for them. They're exceptionally well coached over achievers, but they don't have the talent to match the legit good teams in the West.

Let this be an important lesson to us on WC style basketball. If they're running a stretch four making his shots all night, then we need to find a way to match up. We didn't. We played slow and let them drive downhill all second half and they basically dictated the course of the game the whole way. They played the defense they wanted to and forced us into awful offensive possessions. They beat us on the boards. And they outworked and out-executed us on both ends.

They earned the win. But given just how superior their level of execution was, it's not a great sign that we were still in that game late. They don't have any top end offensive talent to work with.

Washington got punked tonight. Wall has nice assist numbers but he was irrelevant in the second half. Beal was awful in the second half.

Phoenix did what every team that kills Randy's offense does. They tried to force the ball out of Wall's hands, succeeded in the 2nd half, and played physical against the rest. When that happens the ball stops moving and we take contested jumpers all night.

(The Pacers did this to us many many times last season)

Edited by Destino

This pisses me off. This was a winnable game if just basic adjustments had been made. What the hell is the use of having such a versatile and deep roster if you don't ever make a damn adjustment?

He was playing with five fouls and a packed paint for a loooong time.

Randy waits until the damage is done.  That's the biggest issue.

What really pisses me off is how many points they got on junk fast break possessions and easy drives to the basket after our PnR defense got screwed up on the switches.

Bledsoe got straight to the rim on one on twos and one on threes multiple times! We were ****ing dragging ass, just pathetic effort.

The team has been flat out complacent the past several games and a solid team finally made them pay for it. They embarrassed us.

Also I wanted to draft Len. I still think he'll become a decent NBA big. Interesting that they run absolutely no pick and pop with him being that he can shoot it. He's better defensively than I expected. Still has a ways to go though he doesn't look like the game has slowed down for him yet.

What pisses me off is not losing...it's losing with an extra nights rest on our home court. Phoenix played last night. If the game was in Phoenix and we had the extra nights rest and the Suns played at home the night before, I could live with that. But we slept in our own beds while they traveled after playing the night before. Gotta protect home court better.

This team is due for a losing streak. I don't like our chances against Chicago. But unlike in seasons past I'm fully confident that we're going to be fine. I think the next month is going to suck but that the wizards will be better in the second half of the season than the first.

As Beal starts to reach his leap, and it's coming, this team will start to look more like a playoff contender. Also Nene is quietly improving even if the stats don't show it. His limited minutes and bench role have helped, he's attacking around the basket like he used to again.

Edited by Destino
  • Like 2

Yeah I think the team will be better in the second half of the season too. Our gaudy record so far has been propped up by the weak schedule. We're on pace to win like 60 games, we ain't keeping that up. I think just below 70% wins is a more realistic expectation, particularly after our schedule toughens and we take a dip in January.

There aren't many serious flaws with this team. We are vulnerable to a Toronto/Phoenix. But most of our problems are correctable without having to make any trades. All we need is time.

Josh Smith released by Pistons

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/12/22/7434377/pistons-release-josh-smith

Not saying the Wizards should sign him, but would he fit on the team? I honestly don't know and would love to know how you all would think he would fit.

He's the physical manifestation of what the wizards are when they lose. He can't hit a free throw, can't hit a jump shot but still takes a ton, but can at least be relied on to at defense. No thanks.

Personally I'm hoping he signs in LA. If love to see Kobe, Nick Young, and JSmoov on the court at the same time. Imagine the look on their faces as they all jealously try to get shots up.

• Like 1

He could fit here if he'd accept a role as the fifth option on offense. We could use an athletic defensive stud at the four. Another PnR finisher would be nice too. But I have a hard time seeing him accept such a limited offensive role. And I don't think we can really afford him. Plus we're doing pretty well with the Humphries/Nene minutes share at PF.