Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Bob Finnan @BobCavsinsider

#Cavs guard Dion Waiters on Wizards guard Bradley Beal's assertion that Washington has top backcourt in NBA: "That's nonsense."

Sam Amico @SamAmicoFSO

Cavs' Dion Waiters on Bradley Beal saying Wizards have NBA's best backcourt: "He's supposed to say that. But deep down ..."

Dave McMenamin        

After Dion Waiters shot back about Beal/Wall he left the scrum with a smirk and added, "You already knew I was going to say that"

Cavs fans all over the internet are delusional about Waiters/Beal. Waiters is ok, but he hasn't nearly had the consistency or the workload that Beal has to shoulder.

We literally put Beal in the starting lineup from Day 1 and asked him to handle the primary perimeter scoring duties. It is remarkable that he didn't fold and become Jordan Crawford 2.0.

Bob Finnan @BobCavsinsider

#Cavs guard Dion Waiters on Wizards guard Bradley Beal's assertion that Washington has top backcourt in NBA: "That's nonsense."

Sam Amico @SamAmicoFSO

Cavs' Dion Waiters on Bradley Beal saying Wizards have NBA's best backcourt: "He's supposed to say that. But deep down ..."

Dave McMenamin        

After Dion Waiters shot back about Beal/Wall he left the scrum with a smirk and added, "You already knew I was going to say that"

Unless Waiters was insinuating that Wall/Beal are behind guys like Thompson/Curry or maybe a push w/ Dragic/Bledsoe, then he has no reason to even remotely think that him and Irving are a better backcourt.  Those bammas are lucky they have Lebron and Love to ball with this year. 

Man, I hope the Cavs fail.  I really do.  Not so much for Lebron, because I like the guy.  But the rest of the team can go kick some ****ing rocks. 

NBA Courtside

‏@NBACourtside_

John Wall on Dion Waiters' "nonsense" remark: "you gotta win a playoff game first before you can talk. You gotta be a starter first."

I must repeat what I said a couple of months ago, I am somewhat ashamed of what I would do to secure the Wizards knocking the Cavs out of the playoffs this year.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 3

Unless Waiters was insinuating that Wall/Beal are behind guys like Thompson/Curry or maybe a push w/ Dragic/Bledsoe, then he has no reason to even remotely think that him and Irving are a better backcourt.  Those bammas are lucky they have Lebron and Love to ball with this year. 

Man, I hope the Cavs fail.  I really do.  Not so much for Lebron, because I like the guy.  But the rest of the team can go kick some ****ing rocks. 

Waiters says Wall/Beal are behind HIMSELF AND Irving.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11618576/dion-waiters-cleveland-cavaliers-says-kyrie-irving-nba-best-backcourt?ex_cid=espnapi_public

"That's nonsense," Waiters said after practice Tuesday. "(Beal is) supposed to say that, but I know deep down, he's not messing with me and Ky (Kyrie Irving). I think me and Ky are the best backcourt, young backcourt. That's all.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I owned these. That is an awful lot of red in restrospect.

Red was the flashy accent color in the 80s and early 90s with kids shoes. Go watch 10 year olds playing ball today, red is the new gray. Shoes are now as bright as possible and boys are much more likely to have bright pink shoes than simple black and white.

Same thing happened in soccer. Black cleats? Unthinkable.

NBA Courtside

‏@NBACourtside_

John Wall on Dion Waiters' "nonsense" remark: "you gotta win a playoff game first before you can talk. You gotta be a starter first."

I must repeat what I said a couple of months ago, I am somewhat ashamed of what I would do to secure the Wizards knocking the Cavs out of the playoffs this year.

LMAO! Owned.

• Like 1

Cavs fans all over the internet are delusional about Waiters/Beal. Waiters is ok, but he hasn't nearly had the consistency or the workload that Beal has to shoulder.

We literally put Beal in the starting lineup from Day 1 and asked him to handle the primary perimeter scoring duties. It is remarkable that he didn't fold and become Jordan Crawford 2.0.

Dion, eat a Snickers...

You guys are going to be so mad when the Cavs sweep the Wizards in the Eastern Semis.

I won't be. The Cavs are loaded and the feature the league's best player. They are essentially the Heat with less defense and much better offense. I'm fine with being a playoff team that can win a first round series for now. Considering how bad the team was two seasons ago and how dreadful the Redskins are, a fun to watch playoff team is a gift I will cherish.

im still holding out hope for KD in 2016. You guys catch his latest interview where he got frustrated by the questions? He refused to say yes or no, and said that he was taking his time in OKC day by day. Before his last contract he was clear that he was staying and signed early. I like our chances if the Wizards can stay competitive in the East.

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

Love that this chatter is already starting. Waiters is the weak link of that starting 5 IMO. Thompson/Curry are the best backcourt and it's not even close. Wiz-Cavs should be great this year

I don't think Waiters is bad and I'm starting to think im the only guy on the planet that does. I don't think he's a great fit with Kyrie but as a young SG he's been productive. The difference for me is defense. Wall and Beal are better defenders than Kyrie and Waiters. Thompson is the best defender of the six discussed (terrific shooter too) and Curry is the best offensive player, kind of makes them an easy choice as the best duo.

Waiters would be good on a team without a ball dominant PG that likes to shoot. I think he'd shine as a role player on the Clippers for instance.

You guys are going to be so mad when the Cavs sweep the Wizards in the Eastern Semis.

Maybe, but I want them to win, so I'll be a little sore about it.  I won't take it as hard with a 50+ win season and a trip to the conference finals.  As long as they build on it for the next season and try to get to the finals.

I won't be. The Cavs are loaded and the feature the league's best player. They are essentially the Heat with less defense and much better offense. I'm fine with being a playoff team that can win a first round series for now. Considering how bad the team was two seasons ago and how dreadful the Redskins are, a fun to watch playoff team is a gift I will cherish.

im still holding out hope for KD in 2016. You guys catch his latest interview where he got frustrated by the questions? He refused to say yes or no, and said that he was taking his time in OKC day by day. Before his last contract he was clear that he was staying and signed early. I like our chances if the Wizards can stay competitive in the East.

Really?  Because if I want to root for a DC to team to win one round I'd pick the Capitals who can't seem to win a 1st round.

I don't get this "settling" for a first round win.  We had that last year.  The team is better built.  Anything less than getting to the ECF is a wasted season with the roster we have. My goal as a fan of the Wizards is how I've always been.  I want 50 win seasons and competing for championships.  I know we can't win it every year, but I just want to be one of those teams that is always favored.  I'm holding out hope for 2016 myself, but I'm not counting on it.

Really?  Because if I want to root for a DC to team to win one round I'd pick the Capitals who can't seem to win a 1st round.

I don't get this "settling" for a first round win.  We had that last year.  The team is better built.  Anything less than getting to the ECF is a wasted season with the roster we have. My goal as a fan of the Wizards is how I've always been.  I want 50 win seasons and competing for championships.  I know we can't win it every year, but I just want to be one of those teams that is always favored.  I'm holding out hope for 2016 myself, but I'm not counting on it.

Well, I don't know how old you are or if you're originally from the DMV.  But those of us that remember the Glory Days of Redskins Football also remember the loooong 30-year nuclear winter of NBA basketball in DC.  Sure, Jordan hung up the nikes here & there was that 0 fella for a few years...but the Washington Bullets were so bad they had to change their name.  And still nobody cared.

Then, these Wizards come along with this amazing backcourt & its like "WAIT, WE HAVE AN NBA TEAM?!?"

Thing is, I just didn't really follow the NBA all that closely since Jordan....untill now.  I caught on to this team around December (and yes, The Skins had something to do with it) and was pleasantly shocked at how good they were.  And even more, I was enthused that it wasn't a fluke.  These guys are actually going to be good, and relevant, for a while.  Well whaddiya know?  We do have an NBA team!

Pj, I'm not saying that you're wrong.  It's just - well, I can completely appreciate where Destino's coming from, because that's how I feel.  My deal with the Wiz is, let's just enjoy being good for awhile.  Because the truth is, it's been awhile.

Edited by Diehard Otis

Wall was not done with the Cavs and took a subtle jab at Kyrie Irving.

“This is how I see it: I have never been healthy most of my career. The first three years I don’t make the playoffs. ‘I’m not a point guard, I can’t lead my team.’ You have other guys who haven’t seen the playoffs yet but have individual goals, like I said, they get all the praise.”

He was later asked about why he believes that he is continually overlooked.

“I have no idea why I am overlooked. I am not a great shooter, but I’ve improved. You can’t tell me every year that I haven’t improved. When I was healthy, I improved. I am one of the most complete point guards in the league. I rebound, assist, play defense, steal, score. I don’t know why I am overlooked. I am still trying to figure it out.”

Wall emphasized that true accolades in NBA are earned by team success.

“If you are picking talent off of individual play, then it is good to be considered that, but I am person that cares about team play. The main thing is that I want to win. That is how you get known as a point guard … is winning.”

The NBA is a league that requires teams wait for their turn. 5th year Wall and 3rd year Beal are still very young to be competing for an NBA title, especially this year with Otto expected to get a lot of minutes. The Wizards need to get a good seed and win in the first round. After that it's about who they get. I don't think they are better than a healthy Bulls or the Lebron/Love/Kyrie Cavs in a playoff series yet. I think a fully healthy Pacers would have roughed them up too.

I want them to show that they are above that second group of teams like the Hornets, Raptors, and Nets.