Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Ugh. UA has some ugly basketball shoes... But 30 Million is 30 Million. *shrugs*

They do but I like the ua anatomix spawn because they feel great on the court. No blisters when I broke them in. Not as comfortable as my Kobe 8's (not sure that's possible) but they have better cushioning. I had one of KDs earlier models and it was horrible. Haven't had either of the last two. Hopefully whatever UA comes up with for him is good. Edited by Destino

Click on the link to read the rest,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2014/08/13/a-more-efficient-kris-humphries-to-provide-frontcourt-depth-for-the-wizards/

A more efficient Kris Humphries to provide frontcourt depth for the Wizards

Kris Humphries was unsure of his role last year when the Nets, a contender, shipped him to the rebuilding Celtics as part of a package to land Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. Previous experience informed him franchises in rebuilding mode usually opted to play young players over veterans.

But Humphries was surprised to find playing time. The team was dismal, finishing with 57 losses, yet he used the year to improve under first-year head coach Brad Stevens.

“I talked to Brad all the time and it’s just one of those things where, ‘Man, you got me a lot better,’” Humphries, 29, recalled in a conference call Wednesday afternoon. “Handling the ball, making plays, things like that.

Shooting. I’m grateful for that. I’m grateful for the opportunity to keep playing in a lot of situations like the one I was in.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

They do but I like the ua anatomix spawn because they feel great on the court. No blisters when I broke them in. Not as comfortable as my Kobe 8's (not sure that's possible) but they have better cushioning. I had one of KDs earlier models and it was horrible. Haven't had either of the last two. Hopefully whatever UA comes up with for him is good.

I haven't had any KDs before. They don't make them in my size (18) But if I did I probably wouldn't play in then because they are low cut.

The Wizards' offense should look different this season

ke any team lacking in an elite scorer, the Wizards offensive philosophy was simple: share the ball and get out in transition as much as possible. They had the shooters to make it work and the type of point guard that raises his teammates' shooting percentages just with his style of play. And yet, they couldn't net a league-average offensive rating.

It stands to reason that they should improve with their new offseason additions. Paul Pierce brings an entirely new dynamic to the frontcourt -- a player still capable of exploiting mismatches -- while Kris Humphries and DeJuan Blair round out a big man rotation that was in flux for much of last season.

The talent on this roster has unquestionably been upgraded. Now, it's a matter of putting all the pieces together.

That requires some obvious tweaking to the playbook from Randy Wittman such as less standing around on the perimeter from the wings, but that should have been the case already. The more dire concerns have been in front of him the whole time. Can the Wizards field an above-average offense while maintaining their identity as a drive-and-kick team?

Our offense was solid last season. Not great by any means, but solid against most teams. The real measure of an offense isn't so much about efficiency. It's: can they score against a set defense? You can balloon your offense's efficiency numbers by running a three-point-chucking-and-flopping-dependent-constant-fast-break gimmick that can't do **** against a Chicago Bulls or Indiana Pacers or Memphis Grizzlies or San Antonio Spurs for seven games.

We are NOT a transition reliant team. We have never been a fast break team in the Wall era. Feels weird because it's John, but we're always below average in pace. We're a half court offense that relies on John to do something when he's in, or somebody else is chucking a shot of varying quality. The only one that consistently keeps up with John on a fast break is John. When we're actually scoring in transition, it's usually him against numbers.

The only difference between now and the beginning of John's tenure is we actually have good finishers instead of a team full of career back ups and wash outs. And we've got the glimmer of Beal's potential as a true offensive stud to partner with Wall. Nene is the only other player Wall's played with the past four years that can actually create a look for himself or another player at a quality level. And come on, Nene is not close to LaMarcus Aldridge or Dirk Nowitzki or Blake Griffin or even Kevin Love. Nene can beat a good defensive big a handful of times a game but he's not getting a double and he is not a work horse offensive player.

Nevertheless, we did have five starting players that could score in various ways last season. And thus, we could score on the Chicago Bulls. Your offense is at least solid when that's true. The offense should be better this year too, since Paul Pierce is a damn sight better offensive player than Trevor Ariza and Wall and Beal will get better. Beal particularly so.

But this offense won't truly take the leap into excellence until Beal is a dynamic offensive player at least on caliber with Wall, giving us a true two-dimensional attack. You can't have just one guy on offense. Not unless that guy is a Dirk or a Hakeem All Time Great caliber offensive genius. You need two AS caliber offensive studs.

• Like 1

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2014/08/20/wizards-otto-porter-and-glen-rice-jr-will-compete-for-playing-time-after-shining-in-summer-league-together/

Wizards’ Otto Porter and Glen Rice Jr. will compete for playing time after shining in summer league together

For one month earlier this summer, Wizards forwards Otto Porter Jr. andGlen Rice Jr. spent a couple of hours a day working on the Verizon Center practice floor. They hustled through ball-handling, shooting and defensive drills with oversight from former Wizards assistant coach Ryan Saunders and David Adkins, hired later in the summer to serve as the Wizards’ player development assistant.

It was the beginning of a crucial offseason for Porter and Rice. Both registered limited playing time during their rookie campaigns, unable to crack the Wizards’ rotation as the team soared to the second round of the playoffs for the first time since the 2004-05 season. They will compete against each other to become the primary three-man off the bench this season, but they first envisioned forming a potent tag team in the Las Vegas summer league.

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2014/08/14/dejuan-blair-says-joining-the-wizards-is-a-dream-come-true/

DeJuan Blair says joining the Wizards is ‘a dream come true’

There was a point last season when basketball was no longer fun for new Wizard DeJuan Blair. Known for his bright smile and intensity, the burly forward-center was in his first season with the Mavericks after spending his first four NBA seasons as a contributor for the perennially successful Spurs, and the game just wasn’t the same.

“It was just a lot of things I wasn’t into at the time,” Blair said.

That changed during the first round of the playoffs, when Dallas took on the top-seeded Spurs. Heavy underdogs, the eighth-seeded Mavericks pushed the eventual champions to the brink, falling in seven games. Blair was a key cog, posting two double-doubles against his former teammates. And he had fun doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like KD is staying with Nike, still gets a huge payday. Win/Win for him.

UA should offer more, KD would put them on the map, and unlike Reebok and Adidas they have enough brand respect and recognition to challenge nike in basketball. That's why Nike is putting so much up to stop him leaving.

Edited by Destino