Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/wake-call-wizards-want-lighten-load-starters-spurs

Wake-up call: Wizards want to lighten load on starters -- like Spurs

Why is so much depth being accrued by the Wizards going into the 2014-15 season, with contingencies for contingencies? They're aiming high to improve on a 44-win season, with dreams of Kevin Durant in 2016 and looking to the San Antonio Spurs' dynasty for guidance on how to build for the future.

Last season, coach Randy Wittman relied heavily on starters John Wall and Bradley Beal in the backcourt. Nene was unreliable as he missed 29 games because of foot and knee injuries. He only started 37 games as he faced a minutes restriction, part of which was self-imposed. Beal played 34.7 minutes per game but that number was significantly reduced (he was averaging more than 40 at one point) because of a minutes restriction, too, for a recurring stress reaction in his lower right leg.

The emergence of Glen Rice, MVP of the Las Vegas summer league, should assist in keeping down Beal's minutes. Otto Porter, who joined Rice on the all-tournament first team, should allow Wittman to keep Paul Pierce's minutes in check. This was the plan all along, even before summer league began July 11, to give the rising second-year players more time if they could earn it.

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/powerrankings/07/21/summer2014/index.html

Washington (44-38) 
Pace: 95.5 (19), OffRtg: 103.3 (18), DefRtg: 102.4 (10), NetRtg: +0.9 (15) 
Key addition(s): The Truth 
Key question: How quickly before Paul Pierce fits in? 
Pierce should give the Wizards more offensively than Trevor Ariza did, but it took him a while to find his way in Brooklyn last season, and Ariza had great chemistry with John Wall, leading the league with 81 corner threes. Pierce attempted just 22. Either way, this is one of the deepest teams in the league.

I'm not seeing the wizards as a safe bet like some of you. Otto could fall on his face. Rice could too. That's our depth at the 2 and 3 until Webster is back. Wall and Beal could be much better or they could be mostly the same. Nene is likely to be a year slower and less interested.

Depth has improved but so has the amount of teams in the east that aren't bad.

I'm thinking 6th seed or better is a good year. This year is largely about developing Otto and seeing continued improvement from Beal, in my opinion.

I'm not seeing the wizards as a safe bet like some of you. Otto could fall on his face. Rice could too. That's our depth at the 2 and 3 until Webster is back. Wall and Beal could be much better or they could be mostly the same. Nene is likely to be a year slower and less interested.

Depth has improved but so has the amount of teams in the east that aren't bad.

I'm thinking 6th seed or better is a good year. This year is largely about developing Otto and seeing continued improvement from Beal, in my opinion.

6th seed or better?  Nah...

3 seed or better, IMO.  We're at a point now where we con actually aim high.  This is a DEEP roster.  There is no doubt in my mind that there is enough talent for this team to actually come out of the East.  If this post blows up in my face, by all means call me out on it by the end of the season.  However, I like just about every piece we have right now, and we're every bit as good from top-to-bottom as teams like Cleveland, Chicago, or Indy.  Could be the homer in me getting some confidence, but damn it...it's time. 

Cleveland jumping up to 7 is solely because of LeBron. That team isn't that good outside of him. If they get Kevin Love, that's a different story. Then they're the favorites to win the East. But right now, they're not winning 20-25 more games it would take to finish ahead of us IMO.

Also, we're better than Chicago. We proved that in round one. They shouldn't be ahead of us.

I agree with RA15, 52 wins sounds about right. I predicted 54 on RealGM. I'm not worried about losing Ariza's contribution on the court at all. What I am worried about is how we haven't been a great team at home, and how our chemistry might be affected by shuffling around the bench so much. The best teams take care of business at home. We proved we can win on the road like a good team last year, now we need to win at home.

Also, Booker, Harrington, Ariza, etc. were roster glue. Pierce, Humphries, and Blair all need to step in and be the same kind of glue for us to keep our chemistry good.

But I think they will. And I think we'll get better at home. For the first time in a long time, our team is confident. They know they're a good team now. We're going into this season with an entirely different mentality than last season. It's the right mix of hunger and swagger.

KD: "Who knows what’ll happen? You never can close a door on anything, but I like where I’m at right now. I can’t answer those questions."

KD on playing in DC: "Everybody is asking me about it. Every time I go on Instagram or Twitter, all my friends ask me about it."

KD on his decision in 2016: "I’m going to do what’s best for me. It’s hard to talk about that right now when I’ve got 2 years left in OKC."

KD on DC: "That whole city is a part of me. It’s in my blood. I love going back home, seeing my family & playing there but I love OKC, too."

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Beal, he’s a tremendous player, I’m a big fan of his,” Durant said. “Just one of those guys who’s going to be a treat to watch for the next 10 or 15 years. He’s a great player and he’s playing for my hometown team. I love him. … I like John, he’s a great player, you know, one of my great friends. I’m glad he’s here.”

Click on the link to read the rest

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2014/07/29/kevin-durant-thunder-wizards-free-agent/13342063/

Kevin Durant not opposed to going home as free agent

LAS VEGAS – When John Wall heard about LeBron James' recent decision to return to the Cleveland Cavaliers, he started imagining the wondrous possibilities.

Not for the Cavaliers, of course, but for his Washington Wizards.

Just as the rumblings had grown about how the Wizards were already scheming for the summer of 2016 when Oklahoma City Thunder small forward Kevin Durant becomes a free agent, here was James providing the blueprint for that sort of superstar move.

Durant, who has always professed his love for Oklahoma City but who admitted Tuesday at Team USA training camp that his future is uncertain, is a native of the Baltimore suburb of Seat Pleasant, Md.

"It's not a bad (idea) at all," Wall told USA TODAY Sports about the idea of Durant eventually adopting James' homecoming strategy. "Two of the best guys in the East going head to head four times a year? It'd be pretty exciting. You just sit back and watch and see what happens, but (the Wizards' Durant-motivated moves) definitely lets him know that we want him around."

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Because I don't want it looking like he left unfinished business in OKC. And so their fans couldn't complain but so much about losing him.

That stuff doesn't phase me one iota. If he's wearing our jersey, how he's seen outside is completely irrelevant to me.