Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

@XavierSilas has signed a training camp deal with the Washington Wizards, he confirms. He was also with them in camp last year.

ESPN 980 @ESPNRadio980

Noteworthy attendees at FedExField today ..@John_Wall , @KDTrey5 in Dan Snyder's suite, & A.J Smith is back. Haven't seen him in two weeks

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

@XavierSilas has signed a training camp deal with the Washington Wizards, he confirms. He was also with them in camp last year.

ESPN 980 @ESPNRadio980

Noteworthy attendees at FedExField today ..@John_Wall , @KDTrey5 in Dan Snyder's suite, & A.J Smith is back. Haven't seen him in two weeks

Hmm... John Wall might make a good DB.  Nice hands, good quicks.  He might need some moonlighting money.  Have him be our new nickleback

• Like 1

RDkC37MF_normal.jpegWashington Wizards @WashWizards · Witt on last year's exit: "I thought I might see satisfaction, they were upset, they thought they could have done more.That’s encouraging"

Washington Wizards @WashWizards · Grunfeld on offseason: "We wanted to add to our core, we wanted to add some depth to our front-court and we feel we did that."

Washington Wizards @WashWizards · Wittman:"Pierce is a leader, I know who he is just from coaching on the opposing sidelines." Said Doc Rivers raved about his leadership

Witt on Pierce: He’s one of the first guys here in the morning. He's already been a great influence on our young players

Washington Wizards

Washington Wizards @WashWizards · Grunfeld on adding Hump/Blair: You can never have enough bigs, we wanted to add some real depth and versatility, both guys can play PF or C

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/paul-pierce-makes-demand-wizards-vow-follow

Paul Pierce makes demand, Wizards vow to follow

BALTIMORE -- Training camp hasn't even started, but Paul Pierce already has laid down the law in the locker room for the 2014-15 season: Protect home court. It happened earlier Thursday, before Marcin Gortat and Otto Porter arrived at The Unseld School to promote an Oct. 20 preseason game at Baltimore Arena. 

"You like competitive guys that take things serious. He's not the type of guy that has a lot of friends in the NBA. Like the old days," said Otto Porter, a rising second-year player who'll be Pierce's backup at small forward and has been taken under his wing. "That's good. That's what our team needs. 

"Today I heard him say, "Hey, we got to protect home court this year. Anybody who come up here, they're going to get beaten up.' I was like, 'That's what I'm talking about.' I hadn't heard that in here. I'm about that. That's how it was at Georgetown. Protect home court, always. … That's going to change."

Pierce's conditioning and work ethic, despite being 36, has many who aren't familiar with him in awe, as CSN reported here earlier in the week. The touch of nastiness makes it even better for Gortat, who believes it'll more than fill the void left by the departures of veterans Trevor Ariza and Al Harrington. 

"That's what I think makes him great. He's a true warrior. He's a leader. I've been here for a week now and I work with him every day. I play with him every day. It's ridiculous how people follow his lead," Gortat said. "He shows up at the gym two hours before practice. Even young guys can't beat him. That shows a lot. Everybody's running, he's not going to sit on the bench. We're all going to run together. I don't think it's going to be a problem with him.

• Like 3

Paul Pierce is going to show us how it's done. He's going to be such a difference maker in that locker room. We've not had a player with his gravitas and sheer killer instinct in a long time. We've got mostly nice guys who are clean players that play really really good team ball. But you need a killer or two. You need that guy with that intense level of pride and competitiveness to bring that out in his teammates too. I think John and Beal are really going to be transformed by playing with Pierce. I see the glimpses of nastiness and a will to dominate in them from time to time. But Pierce is going to be getting that intensity and aggression out of them consistently.

Also, I love me an Otto Porter interview. The way he talks about the game, it's obvious what a cerebral player he is. I really want to watch him grow as a player. Gonna be a lot less pressure on him too if we're winning a bunch of games.

"Hey, we got to protect home court this year. Anybody who come up here, they're going to get beaten up.'

I can't express how much i love that. Old school to the core. Growing up, i always said 'I got five (six) fouls, I'm USING every single one of them.' You should have seen when i was in the group home (Joe Gibbs' group home actually, YFT) and they let us join some league for private, Christian high schools. That lasted all of four games. Good times.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.
  • Like 1

UA should offer more, KD would put them on the map, and unlike Reebok and Adidas they have enough brand respect and recognition to challenge nike in basketball. That's why Nike is putting so much up to stop him leaving.

UA is on the map, and has been.

Maryland and the Ravens put them there. They are building their brand further. They do however need better SHOE designers, the rest of their gear is better than anything Reebok or Adidas makes.

• Like 2

UA is on the map, and has been.

Maryland and the Ravens put them there. They are building their brand further. They do however need better SHOE designers, the rest of their gear is better than anything Reebok or Adidas makes.

I meant on the map in basketball for shoes in particular.  You know dudes would be out there buying KDs shoe.  Their shoes aren't bad, I have a pair of the ones Curry was wearing last season that I play in and they are pretty good bball shoes.  Better than a lot of the higher end Nikes out at the moment.  Not as good as my Kobe's, but nice.  

Edited by Destino

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/washington-wizards-enter-training-camp-with-roster-rebuilt-during-free-agency-flurry/2014/09/28/38b5639e-45c1-11e4-b437-1a7368204804_story.html

Washington Wizards enter training camp with roster rebuilt during free agency flurry

When the clock struck midnight on July 1 and the wildest free agency period in NBA history commenced, Ernie Grunfeld, the architect of one of the sport’s suddenly up-and-coming franchises, devised three primary objectives: solidify his team’s core, add complementary pieces and maintain roster flexibility in the short and long term.

Nearly four months later, the Washington Wizards will open training camp Tuesday featuring a likely Hall of Famer in the starting lineup and one the league’s deepest front courts to supplement the blossoming back-court alliance of John Wall and Bradley Beal.

The combination constitutes the most talented roster Randy Wittman has overseen in nine seasons as an NBA head coach and a team that expects to register the franchise’s most successful season in more than three decades.

“I’m excited,” Wittman said last week. “I’m excited for them. I’ve been on both ends, so trust me, there’s excitement.”

That's a well written article.

Otto's quote stands out to me. It's interesting that he has such a nuanced understanding of Pierce and his role relative to everyone else on the team. As young as he is, he understands the game and the dynamics of the team as a whole. He's smart. If he pans out in the NBA and plays for a bunch of years, I think he could have a future as a coach or a position in a front office when he's old.

• Like 1

This team might struggle early in the year. You can't have four new additions to the rotation and not expect a period of play when players are not in sync. On paper we are probably the 2nd seed in the East. But it may not play out like that.

I disagree slightly, when you take into account the massive changes that a large number of the other East teams have undergone we may have an easier time of it than others.