Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I disagree slightly, when you take into account the massive changes that a large number of the other East teams have undergone we may have an easier time of it than others.

I don't think anyone underwent a massive change like ours. We essentially have an entirely new bench besides Andre Miller. The Cavs are the only one who come close but they got two All Stars so that helps.

The Bulls are adding Rose and Gasol and I expect them to not come out swinging either. Oddly I actually think Toronto will benefit the most from this.

I expect the first month to be fairly pedestrian for us.

Part of why I think this happens is because Wittman does the whole bench mob thing.

This team might struggle early in the year. You can't have four new additions to the rotation and not expect a period of play when players are not in sync. On paper we are probably the 2nd seed in the East. But it may not play out like that.

I could see Pierce taking a little time to adjust since his game is pretty expansive, but I think the bigs should work in pretty quickly and I hope that Porter will find his place in the rotation quickly after having been here a year.

Randy has a lot of depth on his hands now, he's going to have to figure out good rotations quickly. It's lots of good players, but most need to be playing limited minutes: Pierce & Nene ~26-28 MPG, Miller ~15, Humphries ~20, & Blair ~15. If I were him, I think I'd do something where Nene and Pierce come off as early subs and rotate in Porter and Humphries. Then you probably have Beal and Gortat later. Then Wall out last. That way you get a lot of the second quarter with Nene and Pierce propping up the second line so as to have little drop off offensively. Also probably do the same in the second half so that I can have Pierce play most of the 4th.

I think you're right we might start slow, this team has a history of that. But despite the new pieces, a lot of the other East teams have less continuity. The key to us getting a fast start and finishing as a 2 or 3 seed is winning at home IMO. That's the area we need to take the biggest step forward. They do that and they'll get to mid 50s and that probably gets them the two seed. Toronto and Cleveland will be in the mix. I can see Toronto in particular ripping off a fast start like Indy did last season.

I don't think anyone underwent a massive change like ours. We essentially have an entirely new bench besides Andre Miller. The Cavs are the only one who come close but they got two All Stars so that helps.

The Bulls are adding Rose and Gasol and I expect them to not come out swinging either. Oddly I actually think Toronto will benefit the most from this.

I expect the first month to be fairly pedestrian for us.

Part of why I think this happens is because Wittman does the whole bench mob thing.

I think pretty much everyone but Toronto underwent more significant changes. Cleveland has an entirely new team pretty much, which is good, because the one from last year sucked. Chicago's identity changes a lot. And Indy, Brooklyn, and Miami got decimated. Atlanta is still pretty much the same group with some rotation changes here and there. Charlotte is about the same though they lost McRoberts and are still a team searching for their identity. But both should finish below us regardless.

Toronto is almost the same team, all of their key players are in their prime, they're well coached, have a decent home court advantage, their division is like 14 free wins, and they can expect some level of improvement from Ross and Valanciunas. They'll be good.

Us, Toronto, and Cleveland will likely finish top three in some order. The pressure will be on Cleveland since they've got such a starry team and they're going to have to make a huge 20 to 25 win jump just to meet expectations. But I like our chances against both in a playoff series.

Martell's hair is out of control.. lool

Damn, his hair grows fast. He had something similar in Minnesota.

Gortat has a Mohawk in that picture too.

Games can't come soon enough, mostly so it can distract me from the woe that is the redskins :/

I get the sentiment that starting out may be tough, but that is what pre season is kinda for. I think that facet is ameliorated by having lots of high IQ vets on the team. If we added young new guys, which may present more upside down the line, I'm not sure they'd assimilate as quickly. Hump, Pierce and even to some extent blair have been around the block.

I also don't think our first 10 games or so are brutal schedule wise. Hopefully we don't dig ourselves into a 2-7 start again this season. 

"I don't have a particular date. I just know I'm ahead of schedule" Martell on his timetable to return

"This is becoming a destination" The Truth on the Wizards.

·"I plan on this being the last back surgery" - Martell.

PP-"we need to establish home court dominance" re-Otto-"he can be a star in this league,sky is the limit""not just blowing smoke up his ass"

WizardsXTRA @WizardsXTRA · Pierce said that John Wall got the team together for a dinner last week. "John's the leader of this team."

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

Adidas doing right by the man

Yeah they are.... I want those shoes and shorts. Would prefer if adidas didn't hold out on the boost tech for his shoes but this is still a major leap forward. Just thinking of his fugly reebok garbage makes me laugh. Edited by Destino

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2014/9/29/6869869/paul-pierce-washington-wizards-media-day

Wizards players also couldn't stop gushing about Paul Pierce

What will Bradley Beal take from his new teammate? "His ****iness, his arrogance and his confidence."

Of course with Pierce, a frequently mentioned topic was his well-known trash-talking. What exactly does Pierce say when he's on the court? Beal demurred.

''He's real explicit, so I can't do it.''

Pierce is also pushing the Wizards young backcourt to get to the free-line more, and convert more of their attempts, a real weakness of last year's team that we discussed here. Beal stated that Pierce was disappointed in Beal's (relative) low free throw percentages for such a good shooter and challenged he and John Wall to make them at an 85% clip. While that may not happen right away, there is no doubt that Pierce has the ears of the Wizards young stars.

"[He] can tell me whatever you want. I'm listening," Wall said. "He's making it more and more comfortable, making me want to say more. Listen to him now. He's making me work. Making me want to be great."

• Like 1

I think that facet is ameliorated by having lots of high IQ vets on the team.

I didn't even know this was a real word.  Congratulations sir. 

I'm already liking Paul Pierce on this team.  The guards do need to get to the line more often and put the other team in foul trouble. 

I owned these. That is an awful lot of red in restrospect.

41tqauZLnPL.jpg

These were my favorite shoes of the 80s though.

converse-weapon-86-3.jpg

Because for the moves that never fail, the weapons the choice of Kevin McHale.

We let Kevin McHale rap in 1986, people. On tv.

These were not my favorite shoes of the 80s. Purple and gold on one's feet doesn't really balance you in a fashion sense.

converse-weapon-lakers-86.jpg

• Like 1

Bob Finnan @BobCavsinsider

#Cavs guard Dion Waiters on Wizards guard Bradley Beal's assertion that Washington has top backcourt in NBA: "That's nonsense."

Sam Amico @SamAmicoFSO

Cavs' Dion Waiters on Bradley Beal saying Wizards have NBA's best backcourt: "He's supposed to say that. But deep down ..."

Dave McMenamin        

After Dion Waiters shot back about Beal/Wall he left the scrum with a smirk and added, "You already knew I was going to say that"