Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I don't know what game you're watching, but Blatche went to the floor at least once today and played well in the 4th. I won't defend his oftentimes horrible shot selection, but he's been making a concerted effort to get to the basket recently, despite being injured. I implore you to take a look at the shot charts if you don't believe me. The correct argument would be disagreeing with his desire to lay the ball in rather than go for the dunk and get contact.

Blatche's main issue this year has been very poor defense, which I attribute mostly to being out of shape and injured. Don't get me wrong, he's not playing anywhere near as well as Wall, Gil, or even Young and Javale the past 5 games or so. I think his poor shooting and porous defense will improve as the season goes on.

I gave three examples in my previous post where he didn't hustle and put his ass on the line. His defensive woes are just a part of that larger theme. That he's lazy and heartless. As is his poor shot selection. As is him laying it in rather than dunking.

And keep waiting for it to improve, let me know how that works out for you. I've been hearing that argument for years now. (Hell my one ban on here was a result of me mocking another posters infatuation with Blatche like four years ago. Anyone remember hands11? I think he's over at realgm now.)

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Oh I agree. I'm rarely in the "trade at all costs" camp. But I do think that we should be targeting a PF in the draft or free agency.

We were saying similar things about Javale earlier this season though. Blatche still has a lot of time left this year to come around and his contract extension suggests he's in our long term plans. This was what Grunfield said after the extension back in September (in regard to it and the extension of Javale's contract):

"Andray and JaVale are two pieces that we feel can solidify our frontcourt for years to come and extending their contracts certainly fits in with our long-term plan of rebuilding this team with a core of young, talented players," Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld said in a statement released by the Wizards. "Both players performed very well over the second half of last season and we're confident that they will continue to develop and build on the potential and promise that they have shown throughout the beginning stages of their careers."

So it looks like Blatche is here to stay. He's not a blue chipper by any means, but I believe he can give you solid minutes as long as he's not one of your top 3-4 players. I'd like to see him rotate consistently with Jianlian, who I think has the athleticism and shot to be the better player in the long run to pair with McGee in the front court.

Then after Jianlian and Blatche, I really like the contrasting style we'll get from Booker and Seraphin once those guys come into their own. Blatche and Jianlian are soft, offensively gifted players--Booker and Seraphin are the muscle. They're all 24 or younger, it's going to be a while before they grow up into excellent post players. Development will be lurching and fitful for a while.

I wouldn't target a PF in the draft unless the guy available to us is way better than the available wings, such as an Enes Kanter perhaps. We have so many bodies at the position, we should try and stick with our current plan in the front court and see what works out. If we want to solidify that part of our roster, we should look for a veteran--replace Armstrong perhaps.

I completely forgot about Josh Howard, that's how little a part of this team he is. I'll be very curious to see how he changes the makeup of this team when he gets back. Ostensibly, he'll be our top scoring option. Maybe he'd give us an audition for how our team might look after drafting a Harrison Barnes type prospect.

Get rid of Blatche. Build up his stats over the next couple of months and then trade him to a dumb team. I don't know nearly as much about basketball as I do about football, but even I can see that the dude is the Albert Haynesworth of the Wizards - lots of talent and no heart. None.

Wall's long-range three to draw the foul is one of the most heads-up plays I've ever seen. He's incredible. McGee's developing really quickly, Booker and Young are both great role players. Basketball's Washington Capitals are coming together right before our eyes.

I completely forgot about Josh Howard, that's how little a part of this team he is. I'll be very curious to see how he changes the makeup of this team when he gets back. Ostensibly, he'll be our top scoring option. Maybe he'd give us an audition for how our team might look after drafting a Harrison Barnes type prospect.

Oh yeah, Josh, I forgot about him too. When is he due back?

That's looking pretty good at the moment.

Atlanta made a huge mistake in bringing back Joe Johnson. It was a damned if they did, damned if they didn't type of a thing so I don't blame them. IMO they need to make a decision between Josh Smith and Al Horford. Horford is not a C and Smith is not a SF. Both are natural PF's and one has to go. I'd rather let Horford go.

I gotta say though, Andray Blatche makes me sick.

I'm getting there. He really stinks it up for the the first three quarters of every game. He showed up again in the fourth but man his defense is horrendous. It's not even that he's incapable of defending, he just looks lazy out there on the defensive end.

Also, did anyone realize this is the final year of McGee's contract? If he keeps this up, he'll make himself some money.

McGee has another year left after this one. He had a team option that was picked up.

BTW, **** Elton Brand. What a loser.

Edited by No Excuses

It might be wise to suggest an offer sheet to McGee's agent during the course of the season. He is quickly developing into something special and I am enjoying it nonetheless. If he can develop an interior presence then we certainly have our Dwight Howard for many years to come... picture that!

Andray Blatche is....

That says it all.

McGee's last few games. :)

I'm saying it, he'll be the 2nd best center in the league after Dwight Howard. Wall and McGee is going to be an absolutely dominant pairing.

I'm loving Nick Young as well. He's finally playing up to his skill set. Scoring the hell out of the ball and using his athleticism on the defensive end.

This team is going to be a force one day. Too much skill, too much athleticism. I hate on Ernie a lot, but I think he might have a plan. I'm even getting excited about Trevor Booker. He does little things that are very necessary to have on a winning squad. I'd love to see him develop a three point shot. I think he has the ability, he's shown nice form on his jumper.

Edited by No Excuses

I'm saying it, he'll be the 2nd best center in the league after Dwight Howard. Wall and McGee is going to be an absolutely dominant pairing.

I'm loving Nick Young as well. He's finally playing up to his skill set. Scoring the hell out of the ball and using his athleticism on the defensive end.

This team is going to be a force one day. Too much skill, too much athleticism. I hate on Ernie a lot, but I think he might have a plan. I'm even getting excited about Trevor Booker. He does little things that are very necessary to have on a winning squad. I'd love to see him develop a three point shot. I think he has the ability, he's shown nice form on his jumper.

And the Wiz have tons of cap space in the near future. :)

And the Wiz have tons of cap space in the near future. :)

What do you think off Melo? We have the room to add him and still give extensions to McGee and Young I believe.

Wall/Hinrich

Arenas/Young

Anthony/Martin/Gee

Blatche/Booker

McGee/Seraphin

Definitely not a bad fantasy lineup but I'm not sure how it would actually mesh on the court. But still, the thought of a trio of Wall, Anthony and McGee for the next 5-8 years is pretty enticing.

What do you think off Melo? We have the room to add him and still give extensions to McGee and Young I believe.

Wall/Hinrich

Arenas/Young

Anthony/Martin/Gee

Blatche/Booker

McGee/Seraphin

Definitely not a bad fantasy lineup but I'm not sure how it would actually mesh on the court. But still, the thought of a trio of Wall, Anthony and McGee for the next 5-8 years is pretty enticing.

I like Melo but I'd rather use that max cap space on multiple players.

I don't want to be the Miami Heat. :pfft:

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I like Melo but I'd rather use that max cap space on multiple players.

I don't want to be the Miami Heat. :pfft:

True that. Throwing some more kool-aid towards the Javelevator, take from another message board:

I was curious to see if any players early on in their career were doing what JaVale's doing this year in terms of rebounding and blocks, so I looked for players that, in their first 5 seasons, averaged 4+ ORB/G, and 2.5 BPG.

The list?

David Robinson

Shaq

Dwight

Hakeem

Hakeem

Shaq

Hakeem

Hakeem

Dikembe

Elton Brand

Dikembe

Javale.

That's it. That's the list. Pretty heady company.

Pretty good company for a 22 year old.

Wall/Hinrich

Arenas/Young

Anthony/Martin/Gee

Blatche/Booker

McGee/Seraphin

I'd cream my pants if we got Melo.

I'm in the minority, but I don't think signing Carmelo would be ideal. It'd certainly help us improve, but if you gave me the choice of either drafting Barnes/Jones or signing Carmelo, I'd do the former. Carmelo is one of my favorite players in the league, but he doesn't make a ton of sense for this team. He's 26 and the next three seasons will be the best of his career. He's ready to win championships now. The rest of our team isn't. He'll be playing alongside a bunch of 23 year olds and Gil (unless Gil was part of a package). If it doesn't make sense for Gil to be on this team, the same is probably true for Carmelo.

If we did splurge for Melo, then our expectations would become to win immediately. Blatche, McGee, Booker, Jianlian, and Seraphin are the backbone of our future team they are all a long way from being where they need to be in order for us to be a true contender. We'd probably still get our asses whipped by the Magic, Celtics, and Heat for the next few years. I'd prefer us to grow in a more organic way and keep the focus on youth for right now.

If we're talking about dream scenarios, my perfect offseason would be two-fold:

Move 1: Assume we finish with a high lottery pick and draft whoever ends up being the perimeter player available between Harrison Barnes, Jan Vesely, and Perry Jones. For the sake of argument, let's just say Barnes for now: (i.e. The Nets, Clippers, and 76ers draft 1, 2, and 3--they draft Kyrie Irving, Perry Jones, and Enes Kanter, leaving us to draft Harrison Barnes at 4).

We're left choosing between Barnes and Jan Vesely in that situation. I chose Barnes because I believe he'll be a better perimeter defender than Vesely.

Move 2: The move I would try and make in the offseason would be to try and work out a package for Al Horford from the Hawks. As someone else said earlier, Al Horford and Josh Smith are redundant and Smith is the superior player. I'd try and move Blatche, Arenas, Hinrich, Howard, and possibly Thornton in the package. Maybe a 3 team deal could make this work where the Hawks end up with a PG (Arenas?) and a center and we get Horton and take on some bad contracts since we've got the room to do it. The Pacers and Bobcats could both use an athletic big like Blatche since they've each got a bunch of stiffs in their front court. The problem is that both of those teams are way over the cap for next season and full of horrendous contracts. As long as we kept our young nucleus of Wall/McGee/Jianlian/Young/Booker/Seraphin/Barnes, and added Horford I could certainly live with losing our first round pick for 2012 and whatever awful contracts got thrown into the bargain.

Ostensibly, those two moves would leave us with a core of:

PG: Wall (21)

SG: Arenas (29), Young (26)

SF: Barnes (19)

PF: Horford (25), Jianlian (24), Booker (23)

C: McGee (23), Seraphin (21), Nidaye (24)

I like what that team has on both ends of the floor. Horford gives you a post game in the paint. Barnes give you perimeter defense and scoring. If we're going to truly become a contender, we'll need both. We'll also need to focus our sights on taking down the three powers of the East: Orlando, Boston, and Miami. IMO, we'd be able to successfully defend Howard and the Magic with Horford and McGee and force them to do their scoring from outside. The big 3 will eventually slow down and Boston will rely on Rondo to do their scoring more and more, and we'll be able to defend him with Wall and take advantange of their slower pace by running the floor with our team speed. And then if Wall and Barnes become the elite perimeter defenders that I believe they will, we'll be able to contain Miami and make them grind it out with us underneath.

The nucleus of that roster is basically 25 and under, so I think you could have a 6-7 year championship window before you'd have to start making serious adjustments.

I for one don't get why everyone here is talking about Perry Jones and Harrison Barnes because I honestly don't think this team will be picking in the top 5 in order to snag one of those guys. I think this team if they get hot enough and (Josh Howard comes back strong) may make the playoffs as 7-8 seed. Just my two cents.

edit. and to the above post there is absolutely no way Atlanta trades Al Horford they just signed him to a long term deal and think very very highly of him.

Edited by Upark25

I for one don't get why everyone here is talking about Perry Jones and Harrison Barnes because I honestly don't think this team will be picking in the top 5 in order to snag one of those guys. I think this team if they get hot enough and (Josh Howard comes back strong) may make the playoffs as 7-8 seed. Just my two cents.

edit. and to the above post there is absolutely no way Atlanta trades Al Horford they just signed him to a long term deal and think very very highly of him.

I don't think we're a playoff team yet. We can't win on the road and our wins have come against other bottom feeders. I think this will be the final year we're picking in the lottery.

I'm also not so sure that Barnes and Jones will go 1 & 2 like everyone is predicting. Both have struggled early this year and Barnes certainly hasn't looked like a #1 overall pick. Perry Jones has only been marginally better. Meanwhile, other freshmen like Jared Sullinger, Kyrie Irving, and Brandon Knight have all been kicking ass. Since PGs can now go first overall, Kemba Walker might also get taken that high if he keeps up this ridiculous pace. Plus Europeans like Jan Vesely will probably get looks ahead of Barnes based on his superior potential. And then there are all of those good European bigs like Kanter, Montiejunas, and Valenciunus that will be attractive to teams needing front court help.

Barnes isn't an astounding athlete, he needed to come out and have a brilliant freshman year and he needs to lead UNC on a tourney run if he wants to be the top pick. Jones doesn't have to be as good this year to do it, but he'll still need to be better than he already has been.

I suggested the Horford trade because Atlanta is going to underachieve this season and they need to mix things up. I think they've taken the Horford/Johnson/Smith/Williams lineup as far as they can go and they need to mix things up. Horford and Smith are both power forwards and Marvin Williams and Johnson are both small forwards, they might as well deal one to get some pieces--Mike Bibby is getting old and he's never been elite, they could use a PG upgrade and a center. It makes more sense than hoarding all of their talent at the 3 and 4 positions.

i would give up Blatche and any combination of players not named Wall or McGee for Kevin Love right now

dude would be perfect fit for the wizards

Lol. I was thnking the same ****ing thing the other day. We sorely need a battler inside and if we could ship blatche plus whoever else to get him I would do it yesterday.