Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

What areas do you think we should target in the draft and free agency next year? I've been thinking about this from playing NBA2K11 and having to scout college players. I've been targeting SG's just because opponents SG's absolutely kill me on defense in games. Rip almost put up 40 on me last night.

I want us to make a move for Marc Gasol. Pair Gasol and McGee together as the 1a/1b center pairing. The biggest downfall of this team right now is inexperience to close out games and rebounding and tough paint defense. McGee has picked up his rebounding big time but we still need a load in the paint, someone like Gasol. We have no big men who can really get the others in foul trouble.

The biggest thing is experience though. I'm really interested in seeing how McGee develops in an 82 game season with 25-30 minutes every night. He's already made such huge improvements in 11 games. Scary to think what he could become if he continues this progress.

I like having Hinrich on this team. In general I really like our guard rotation. Nick Young has been playing really well on both ends of the floor this year. Wall, Hinrich, Arenas and Young is as good a backcourt you can ask for right now.

McGee is really really impressing me. Man he gets his help defense under control and the sky is the limit. This team can be really really good with a tough gritty front line. With the way Blatche is playing, I'm not sure he has a future on that. I'll give him another week or two to start playing with more energy.

I'm having a hard time evaluating Andray...with him being out of shape and having a sore knee.

I'll have a better feel for him by January.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Gil looks to be rounding back into form and McGee brought a ton of energy tonight. Slowly but steadily he is improving.

We definitely need some muscle inside though, Randolph and Gasol killed us. Would have liked to see more of Booker to match up with them, but glad Flip stuck with McGee late( thankfully Yi was out so he didn't put him in, or Hilton ****ing Armstrong :laugh: )

I used to like blatche a lot when he was a role player but now he thinks hes some kind of star and trys to do too much. He doesn't seem to play within the offense at all. I wish he would reign it in a bit. The only way this team is gonna win is if everyone commits to team basketball. We are far too impatient on offense and the off the ball movement leaves a lot to be desired.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/

If you watched the fourth quarter, you noticed that Gilbert Arenas was getting to the lane a lot more than he's done in a little while. Now, granted, the finishes weren't always pretty, and he did most of his damage on three-pointers, but it was great to see how well he was able to get to the rim.

One of the things that intrigued me most was the way the Grizzlies defended Arenas. Tony Allen, the defensive stalwart brought over from Boston in the offseason, really crowded Arenas hard tonight, more than most players I've seen. He also did something that struck me as interesting: he forced Arenas right.

Now, normally, Arenas is better going left, at least according to him, so if Allen was given a scouting report, he followed it well. I don't have a ton of data to back this up, and this is very crude, but it's worth noting that Arenas shot a higher percentage from the left side of the floor in his last healthy year in 2007.

But tonight, it didn't work, as Arenas got in the lane quite easily despite going on his less comfortable hand. After the game, Arenas said Allen was actually doing him a favor.

"I like going left. I have no idea why I like going left, but he pushed me right. But I preferred that today, because I can't really jump off the right ankle. So he was funneling me to his strength, at least for today."

Arenas said he was "a little" surprised when he saw Allen crowding him, but admitted that's just what Allen likes to do. The larger question, though, is whether Arenas can still finish at the rim. He had a couple nice layups tonight, clearly showing he can still get there, but he also looked tentative at times, passing out instead of going up and missing key shots. Sometimes, it didn't matter -- the one lefty layup he missed late was slammed home by JaVale McGee -- but he admitted afterwards that it's still a work in progress.

"There were some shots that I think I pass up because I haven't been used to it the last couple weeks, but every day I'm getting more comfortable jumping off the right and left leg. I gotta finish a little bit better down the road."

Still, it's a good sign that he's improving and playing to his strengths, even if they are new strengths like going to his right hand.

Brave, you might be right that this team is turning the corner. Nick Young has gone from a useless bust to being recognized by Flip as our best bench scorer and a top 3 defender on this team. His defense has improved significantly.

McGee is getting better each and every game. It's almost getting to the point where if his progress continues he won't be a liability on the court but a huge asset. Gilbert is finally getting in a rhythm.

Hell even Trevor Brooker impressed me last night. He was hustling out there last night and he sets one hell of a pick. Wouldn't be bad as a utility guy off the bench.

Like you said earlier about Blatche, I agree that he needs a bit more time to get his health and conditioning straightened out but IMO he's running out of time. Soon it will no longer be an excuse.

I don't know when the wins will start showing up but the youth movement is taking shape. Exciting times for this franchise.

Edited by No Excuses

And when Josh Howard gets back, our bench should be even stronger. Our frontcourt depth is still a bit weak though, but for a rebuilding franchise we're in pretty good shape.

The million dollar question though is, if Gil is playing well but we're a fringe team(say we have an 8-9 ish playoff seeding)come trade deadline, do we deal Gil? Assuming we get a good package of salary relief + draft picks, I'd have to at least consider it.

And when Josh Howard gets back, our bench should be even stronger. Our frontcourt depth is still a bit weak though, but for a rebuilding franchise we're in pretty good shape.

The million dollar question though is, if Gil is playing well but we're a fringe team(say we have an 8-9 ish playoff seeding)come trade deadline, do we deal Gil? Assuming we get a good package of salary relief + draft picks, I'd have to at least consider it.

I would definitely consider dealing Gil but I haven't ruled out the possibility that he can be a part of our future as well.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Gilbert beasting tonight.

13 points, 6 dimes halfway through the 2nd. Wiz up 4.

McGee is beasting too. 10 points, 9 rebounds, 1 block. He should have three blocks, those two goaltendings were complete BS. Dude I really think he's turned the corner.

We should be winning by double digits. These refs have called a terrible game so far.

Do I need to be concerned about Wall a all? Or they just taking it really really slow (which I am 100% fine with). I just thought he would be out 1 game . . . seems to just keep going.

He warmed up tonight along with Yi but they took a last second precaution and kept him out. By all accounts he will be ready by Tuesday.

I'm more worried about Josh Howard. We aren't hearing much on his end.

Charlie V. couldn't have abused Blatche anymore in the first. I'm really starting to get pissed off at this guy.

Edited by No Excuses

McGee is beasting too. 10 points, 9 rebounds, 1 block. He should have three blocks, those two goaltendings were complete BS. Dude I really think he's turned the corner.

We should be winning by double digits. These refs have called a terrible game so far.

McGee is legit. No doubt in my mind anymore.

The rookie ref is a disaster.

Wall is gonna be alright. It's a long season, we aren't doing anything big this year and he is THE franchise. The thing with nothing injuries like he's got, is that your body overcompensates in other areas. So you play with a sprained foot/ankle and you come out with a bad knee, back, achilies, whatever.

I think a lot of McGee's thing is him figuring out who he is. What he can do, what he can't do, and focusing and maximizing the good. Playing within himself. Maximizing his natural ability. And he's really exploded with that this year. He still relapses and tries to do too much (like the charge he picked up in the 1st half and that bad pass/turnover he had a few possessions ago). But this year he's slowly putting it all together in front of our eyes. It's awesome.

And besides being a lazy, out of shape POS, I think that's Blatches' problem. I have no idea wtf he is thinking half the time. His entire game is like that 35 foot shot that Gilbert just threw up.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.