Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Watching the news conference. This is an amazing day for the Wiz. Most impressive front office in decades. 

I do wish Ted would speak less. Winger doing a good job sending a message that they aren't close to contending now but the goal is a championship. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The weakest voice today was Ted. Yeah, I'm predisposed to be doubtful. But he's trying to both say this org needs a total reset, AND say there is no reason this isn't a destination city for the NBA.

First step is acknowledging you have a problem, and he tried to dance around the reality and why he's doing what he's doing.

13 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

The weakest voice today was Ted. Yeah, I'm predisposed to be doubtful. But he's trying to both say this org needs a total reset, AND say there is no reason this isn't a destination city for the NBA.

First step is acknowledging you have a problem, and he tried to dance around the reality and why he's doing what he's doing.

To be fair, we shouldn't expect Ted to dump all over himself. Plus, there are people in Monumental that will remain and you don't want to pile on them either. Listened to Winger get interviewed after the press conference. He understands the need to grow a new culture for the Wiz. He understands what needs to be here to attract stars. He's going to be good. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Hersh said:

To be fair, we shouldn't expect Ted to dump all over himself.

I didn't say dump over themselves. But he can say "We're excited for these new leaders coming in......we're looking forward.......what we were doing simply wasn't working and we know it. That's why we're making huge changes to improve this franchise to become one players want to join"

Talking about the gains of their TV network and Hershey Bears playoff games are nice. But not relevant. Especially since he specifically mentioned the Caps are their own Universe. Why? Why aren't they all together? What did you do before that you want to do differently now?

9 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

I didn't say dump over themselves. But he can say "We're excited for these new leaders coming in......we're looking forward.......what we were doing simply wasn't working and we know it. That's why we're making huge changes to improve this franchise to become one players want to join"

Talking about the gains of their TV network and Hershey Bears playoff games are nice. But not relevant. Especially since he specifically mentioned the Caps are their own Universe. Why? Why aren't they all together? What did you do before that you want to do differently now?

Ted's actions matter more here. Firing Tommy and bringing in this group to lead the front office is acknowledging it's not working. Winger said "we are going to pursue championships by any means necessary"  and Ted has given him the freedom to take any path they want. Ted even said to be patient. It's glorious what has happened. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

When people doing stupid **** realize they are doing stupid **** and go out of their way to rectify it, that is not the time to pile on them for doing stupid ****.

Regardless of the intent here all of them will be judged by their results, and that will take time to see them.

Tone setter will be what they do with Beal, they might not be able to move him, but serious visible effort will say a lot to me.

But what do I know, I'm a fan, not part of the subject matter expert round table that jus got put together.  Make it make sense if you can't or wont.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Tone setter will be what they do with Beal, they might not be able to move him, but serious visible effort will say a lot to me.

This is true. Another piece might be if he refuses a trade, that doesn't mean he should get max minutes anymore either. If you're rebuilding and he's refusing to be moved, then he gets less minutes. Not as a punishment, but as a reality of going with younger guys you want here in 5+ years. That hurts his brand if he's now getting an average of 25MPG or less. It's not trying to hurt his brand. But you aren't likely all-NBA anything anymore with that. 

Listened to Dawkins on Grant and Danny while running an errand. Reading between the lines, I get the feeling that they’ll move Beal. I could see him wanting to leave if they do a tear down. Maybe Boston mixes things up and moves on from Brown while getting a third team involved.

So, what are the moves for this new front office?

I’ve seen some proposals for Beal if he’s willing to waive his no-trade clause. I could see that happening.

Kuzma and Porzingis. Are these guys sign and trade candidates or will they leave for nothing in return?

Does Deni get extended?

What does the draft look like?

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I’ve seen some proposals for Beal if he’s willing to waive his no-trade clause. I could see that happening.

Kuzma and Porzingis. Are these guys sign and trade candidates or will they leave for nothing in return?

Does Deni get extended?

there are two paths out.

1- full blowup

2- shock the world with major trades no one sees coming.

I’m guessing it will be #1 because number two is very hard to pull off when you aren’t already close, and this wizards team is straight up butt.  Also other than Dame there are no rumors of any stars on the move, and Dame isn’t saving this team.  

I hope Beal ends up somewhere he can win a ring. I know it’s cool to hate him, but I will NEVER hate a star for being too loyal to this city. 

Re: Draft

This is what I have seen in various drafts.  Not sure what I previosly posted.  Not a scout, I just read Internet consensus.  

Tier "Gone before the Wizards"

Victor

Scoot

Brandon Miller

Both Thompson brothers

If any of these picks slip to 8, take them. 

Tier "Maybe...." 

Whitmore and Jarace Walker are the other 2 who seem to round put the Top 7.  Whitmore seems like a safer prospect, so Jarace could end up in the next tier.  

Tier "Choosem"

Anthony Black, Cason Wallace, Taylor Hendricks and Bilal Coulibaly are the ones I have seen with the Wizards.  I think Bilal would not be a great fit... but I wouldn't have issue with anyone else.

13 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Does Deni get extended?

I'd be shocked if Deni got extended this off-season. There is no reason to do so given his lack of production. 

Everyone on this team is officially a trade or sign & trade candidate with the new front office. I expect a lot of roster turnover to accumulate young players or draft assets. Winger already said they aren't running it back, which was great to hear. Hopefully KP opts in to his final year as that would increase his trade value with an expiring contract for a good player. I know a lot of people are talking about Beal to Miami, potentially, but I could see Kuz being a fit down there as well. They need size, Kuz can play initiate the offense and he can play solid defense. He won't ever be super efficient but playing next to Bam and Butler and being in the Heat culture might improve him a bit in that area. Plus, it's a lot less in terms of money. 

24 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

This is amazing news. This is what Winger needed to know to be sure a complete reset could be done. We are going to see a rebuild. 

Also, KP is opting in which makes him a good trade chip until the trade deadline. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

This is amazing news. This is what Winger needed to know to be sure a complete reset could be done. We are going to see a rebuild. 

Also, KP is opting in which makes him a good trade chip until the trade deadline. 

Kind of surprised that Porzingis would take the option and risk injury this season instead of going into FA now. Unless there are more teams with money next season. 🤷‍♂️