Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Hoffman had a solid 90min on this today. David Aldridge and Ava Wallace as guests. Both say they hear this means Winger has control to make the biggest of changes if he deems necessary. Also that it doesn't mean he does that immediately. 

Get him here. Working with these current group on the draft. Maybe he makes the final decision draft night. But it'll be a summer and maybe season of evaluations. 

He's bringing his draft board with him and he'll likely hire a GM pretty quickly. No doubt he had a short list of his own and probably started making calls after his interview. 

7 hours ago, Hersh said:

He's bringing his draft board with him and he'll likely hire a GM pretty quickly. No doubt he had a short list of his own and probably started making calls after his interview. 

Am curious what kind of info he brings with him. Clippers were drafting until late first. No doubt they scout everyone who is potentially a 1st. Wonder if they are thinking BPA now. 

I know he has to say it, but Winger's comments about Beal in an interview to the LA Times gave me heart burn. He called Beal a superstar. I get the need to be public about things but it sounded like Tommy Sheppard. 

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

I know he has to say it, but Winger's comments about Beal in an interview to the LA Times gave me heart burn. He called Beal a superstar. I get the need to be public about things but it sounded like Tommy Sheppard. 

That's exactly what I'd expect a professional to say.....whether he means it or not.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

That's exactly what I'd expect a professional to say.....whether he means it or not.

I get it but still. https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2023-05-26/former-clippers-gm-michael-winger-exclusive-interview

“His former coaches, his former teammates, they all have extraordinarily high regard for him, and he is unequivocally a superstar,” Winger said. “The hardest thing to do in the NBA is acquire a superstar talent and it’s even harder to acquire superstar talent with his level of character. And so, I think it’s an extremely, extremely fortunate starting point. So to me, that’s really exciting to have somebody like Brad on the team.”

hopefully, these guys sit down with Beal and say "If you wave your no-trade clause, we'll help you get to team you want."

But they need to add in, if he doesn't want to wave it. That's his choice, but the team is going in this direction now. That they are rebuilding and it means young guys are going to get more minutes. He'll def be the starter, but the reality is he would be playing a lot less from now on.

They lost their chance to move him for the best return 2+ years ago. Now it's about getting out from under his deal and then getting what you can in return. 

I'm fairly certain I have no clue who did what and if the new Front Office was involved in the SGA trade from LAC to OKC... which part of the Paul George trade.  I was a but upset we brought in a Clippers exec who traded SGA to the Thunder.  Now we brought in someone from the Thunder who could have identified SGA as a talent.   SGA plus those draft picks is a killing.