Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

So here's my question, that I've asked multiple times, with no answer.

[b]How do you make the Wizards good again?[/b]

The NBA has kept teams like the Wiz, Charlotte, Orlando, heck even Dallas, down for decades. Sacramento is just now breaking out of purgatory and the best they can get is just a 2nd round apperance.

I've never liked the NBA post 2007 because of what they did. The rigged game got more rigged and corrupt.

Now you see even as a mid market (let's not call it small, but mid) that this team STILL cannot get any consistency in winning, even after firing Ernie and bringing in a completely new staff. Do not tell me about Ted. Do not. This went on before he did.

We all play 2k I guess. You can make trades, make deals, make teams win. But it's 2k. You can't do that IRL. You can't make the game easier or alter 3 pt sliders. The game is the game. And right now the Wizards are losing out in the long run. How do you make this team a championship contender? Is it even possible?

I mean I will still be a fan. I will always support DC teams. But the Wizards have got to be the least favored of the big 4, no? Especially with the constant losing and mediocrity. No matter what they do, their ceiling is a 2nd round appearance. That's why the NBA sucks.

Aren't you a Lakers fan ix? Lol @ rigged. Teams like the Kings and Wiz have sucked for so long because they continuously draft poorly and have either bad ownership or a bad front office/coaching staff. 

What's the difference this year for the Kings? They hit at #4 immediately and made a homerun coaching hire. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

56 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Aren't you a Lakers fan ix? Lol @ rigged. Teams like the Kings and Wiz have sucked for so long because they continuously draft poorly and have either bad ownership or a bad front office/coaching staff. 

What's the difference this year for the Kings? They hit at #4 immediately and made a homerun coaching hire. 

Between  2006 and 2016 the Kings drafted top 10 and in some cases top 5.

Between 1979 and 2016 or so the Warriors were the laughingstock of NBA basketball. Heck they even drafted Curry who couldn't do anything until they fired Mark Jackson. Bring in Kerr and bam Warriors unstoppable force (even with blatant cap circumvention aside). I'm just curious...how did the Warriors get so bad for so long and then suddenly become a dominant force? And why were they the only team to do it?

The answer as you well know is homegrown talent, combined with paying KD out the **ass** for 2 years, but the sad thing is other teams have tried the warriors model and none have been successful. It's insanely hard to go from a horrfificly bad franchise like GS was for years, to relevant. Yes GS did draft Curry and tHompson and ass Draymond Green. But other teams have done that too and haven't had the net results too.

Fine: Boston did it even after the "big" collusion. Tatum and Brown were homegrown. Boston and GS did things the right way, but seems odd that no one else can follow that model, no?

Edited by ixcuincle

Like many franchises - such as our beloved Commanders - the Wizards suck primarily because of a horrible front office. They draft terribly, sign mediocre free agents, and hire dumb coaches. That is how it is in a nutshell. 

Think of all the busts we have drafted the last 30 years. Even if we draft someone halfway decent like Otto Porter or Kelly Oubre they either get injured, we misuse them, or they just fizzle out. Or we will just straight whiff on guys like Jan Vesely.

We signed Davis Bertans for like 80 million (not gonna look up the contract but it was wack). Davis effin Bertans. We gave Ian Mahinmi an absurd amount of money.  I mean who does that?

• Thanks 1

"It's okay, all we need is to tank and draft Wemby." - Wizards fans

Ask Detroit how tanking and drafting Cade Cunningham has worked out. Detroit is still bottom of the pack and has a good shot to draft Wemby now. Nothing has changed.

Orlando is stacked with young talent like Cole Anthony and possibly ROY Banchero and is still awful. I just...how do you even succeed in this league?

33 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Between  2006 and 2016 the Kings drafted top 10 and in some cases top 5.

Between 1979 and 2016 or so the Warriors were the laughingstock of NBA basketball. Heck they even drafted Curry who couldn't do anything until they fired Mark Jackson. Bring in Kerr and bam Warriors unstoppable force (even with blatant cap circumvention aside). I'm just curious...how did the Warriors get so bad for so long and then suddenly become a dominant force? And why were they the only team to do it?

The answer as you well know is homegrown talent, combined with paying KD out the **ass** for 2 years, but the sad thing is other teams have tried the warriors model and none have been successful. It's insanely hard to go from a horrfificly bad franchise like GS was for years, to relevant. Yes GS did draft Curry and tHompson and ass Draymond Green. But other teams have done that too and haven't had the net results too.

Dubs are not doing anything different than what other teams could do (salary wise). I suspect your major concern is a lack of a hard cap in the NBA. Institute that and then you don't have teams spending 60 mil more (before the luxury tax penalty) than the average team. But the players association will never agree to that because it hurts their high salaries. Fwiw I think competitively the NBA needs a hard cap with some type of discounts/exceptions to players that teams draft. Set a cap limit but allow teams to go over by x% if they sign their own players. 

As for what the Dubs did..draft 2 or 3 HOFers and hold on to them for 10+ years? Have a good front office/ownership and hire a top 10 all time HC while firing a guy after going 51-31 in 2013-2014 because the FO shrewdly figured out that 50 wins was his limit? And then winning 4 rings in 8 seasons with the new HC? Good luck with that.

I'd settle for the Wiz being competitive again. Cleveland has rebuilt 2x (or 3x?) since LeBron left. Why can't the Wiz? Is it because bad ownership/FO knows it will turn a major profit with a less than mediocre product? Tbf the same applies to the Dubs. The fans always attended games during the down years (tbf they did have Run TMC for 2 years and had some 50 win seasons too before this dynasty) but the newer ownership saw more value in winning and titles. It also helped getting a new arena built. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

You need a top 10 player to be competitive.  If you are paying a max contract to someone who is not a top 15 player (or potentially), dump them and churn them go improve the team.  Do not not give more than 1 max to a non-top 15 player. 

Draft and scout better.  If your scouts have never drafted a top 10 player, dump them.  

Don't be content with 7, 8 seed.  

• Like 3

Good front offices draft well.

This century the Wizards have had Jordan, Ernie, and Ernie's backup.

This isn't complicated, imo, and I agree it can transcend owners because a lot of owners are just flat out bad at hiring good front offices.

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

You need a top 10 player to be competitive.  If you are paying a max contract to someone who is not a top 15 player (or potentially), dump them and churn them go improve the team.  Do not not give more than 1 max to a non-top 15 player. 

Draft and scout better.  If your scouts have never drafted a top 10 player, dump them.  

Don't be content with 7, 8 seed.  

Luka is a top 10 player and his team just missed the playoffs

1 minute ago, ixcuincle said:

Luka is a top 10 player and his team just missed the playoffs

Bad front offices try to make it work with Kyrie now...when I hear competitive i hear in the conversation for a ring, that's been true for a while now.

Wizards getting a 10 seed this year would be a disappointment, but about bring the whole band back next year anyway.

We don't have a good front office and neither does Dallas.  I mean, those knee slappers trade for Betrans, all $16 million per year for next 3 years while only getting 4ppg from him.

Luka should demand a trade before he ends up another Lillard...

Dallas is going to be there every year with Doncic.  I remember when we didn't think Lebron was clutch and he did not have deep playoff success when he was young.  The key is to build around that "king" piece.  Doncic is that level. 

Regarding our Wizards.  Here is my plan for them - yes, this team ain't gonna be great next year.  Good thing we never care but I would say bump this next December.  

Re-sign KP

Don't re-sign Kuz (he's not efficient - work on getting value for the $$$ in his rotation spot).  

Starting Rotation

Porzingis

Gafford

Kispert (??)

Beal 

Delon Wright

Bench: 

Deni (too inconsistent but he has shown flashes lately... fools gold?)

Monte Morris 

Davis (hopefully his recent stretch is also not fools gold)

Issues:

Lack of PF

Depends on KP continuing to play put of mind and Beal  ending his regression... his past 2 seasons were "bad" for him.

SF 

Are Kispert and Deni starting level? 

I get that it seems like the G League is a feeder league, but I would ask my scouts to look at all the post players and SFs from their 2019 to 2021 scouting and see who may be worth calling in for a tryout.  Is someone like Killian Tillie able to provide minutes?

Goal number 1 is to draft a top 5 debate worthy player.  Until that goal is accomplished, nothing else matters.  Supporting stars 2 and 3 can be acquired in numerous ways.  For a non-destination team like DC, draft is the only way for goal 1.  Tanking makes that way more likely.

• Thanks 1

Based on what I am seeing, they will have 7th or 8th best odds depending on some random draw with Pacers. 

Assuming they lose that draw and get 8th best odds, with the rebalanced odds, they are actually most likely to pick 8th or 9th.  

I'll just assume they have the 9th pick and any movement up from that is gravy. 

• Sad 1

The Wizards have got to be one of the toughest situations to fix. Guess we'll go back in the draft and hope to pick someone good.

Davis, Kispert, Beal and KP with Kuz when healthy could be a fringe playoff team.

Edited by ixcuincle
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

The Wizards have got to be one of the toughest situations to fix. Guess we'll go back in the draft and hope to pick someone good.

Davis, Kispert, Beal and KP with Kuz when healthy could be a fringe playoff team.

If only they had a golden opportunity to not hand out 250 mil with no trade clause to a fringe all star and tank in a year with a generational player in the draft.  If only....

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

OKC had an over/under of 23 5 wins coming into the year.  They finished 40-42.  Their best player is a legit star, they have a nice up and comer in Gidday, and then a bunch of dudes to varying degrees of upside.  And the #2 pick Chet Holmgren didn't play a minute all year.  So they have that to look forward to, along with 18 picks to play around with, including 10 firsts, in the next 3 drafts.  

The Wiz on the other hand had an over/under of 35 5 and managed to hit the under with 3 fringe all-stars and 3 other lottery picks.  Basically a core that cant win 40 games that they seem to want to keep together.

Presti vs Sheppard.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Noticed these new ads with Beal for something called LMNT. It's got electrolytes.... And salt. 

So, i looked it up thinking "who would pay Beal to do this? Now?" turns out he's an investor in the brand. 

🤦‍♂️

How is that any different from Gatorade?