Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

On 4/8/2023 at 1:42 PM, ixcuincle said:

Luka is a top 10 player and his team just missed the playoffs

Pretty sure the Mavs made the WCF last year.

The Wizards need to draft a top 10 NBA talent as the centerpiece of their franchise.  Wall might have been that guy once upon a time, Beal never was.  

I look at a team like Milwaukee, who used to be just as irrelevant as the Wizards.  They drafted Middleton the year before they drafted Giannis.  Now, I don't know if the Bucks ever had any idea that Giannis would become what he's become but they still took the chance and landed a generational talent and got lucky with Middleton being a 2nd round pick.  And then they traded for Jrue Holiday, giving them their "Big 3" and they've supplemented with good role players around that core.  Milwaukee got incredibly lucky with getting a guys like Middleton and Giannis in back to back years and once they knew they had two guys they could build around, they locked them up.  And then they didn't try to be a good FA destination, they traded for Holiday.  

Washington is not a good free agency destination, getting a franchise altering talent to come here will be hard.  They need to hit big in the draft, there's no other way around it.  

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Washington is not a good free agency destination, getting a franchise altering talent to come here will be hard.  They need to hit big in the draft, there's no other way around it.  

louder for those in the back. 

Not only do they need to draft better. They need both the right guy to fall to them, and to have the front office smart enough to take that guy, and the right coaches to get that guy going. I doubt this organization can go 1 for 3 there, let alone 3 for 3. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

louder for those in the back. 

Not only do they need to draft better. They need both the right guy to fall to them, and to have the front office smart enough to take that guy, and the right coaches to get that guy going. I doubt this organization can go 1 for 3 there, let alone 3 for 3. 

Yeah, when you put it that way, the odds are stacked against them.  To stay on the Giannis track (I can't lie, I'm a fan), you wonder if that guy was going to become what he's become no matter what...or how much the coaching in Milwaukee was able to help.  Or both.  

So much of sports is luck, especially when it comes to the drafting, despite what we'd all like to believe.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Anthony Black is my guy.

Would be happy with him, Thompson Twins or Taylor Hendricks. 

Not gonna act like a pick beyond 6 panning out is anything but special. If a GM could make top tier picks consistently, I would think they were Biff from the future.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Would be happy with him, Thompson Twins or Taylor Hendricks. 

Not gonna act like a pick beyond 6 panning out is anything but special. If a GM could make top tier picks consistently, I would think they were Biff from the future.

Any discussion of NBA draft should be: "hard work and body development are really hard to predict". 

Go look at Jabari Parker, Jahlil Okafor, Otto Porter Jr. draft position.  And those picks weren't even panned when made.  Anyone who says, "I knew those players would bust!" is lying.  Porter is probably not even a bust.   

Pick 3: Derrick Favors, Enes Freedom, Beal, Porter, Embiid, Jahlil Okafor, Jaylen Brown, Jaysen Tatum, Luka Doncic, RJ Barrett, LaMelo Ball, Evan Mobley, Jabari.Smith Jr....

1 hour ago, Rocky21 said:

He forgot to say the team I put together is disappointing and disgusting and that’s why I’m doing everything I can to keep this disappointing and disgusting team together and intact.  

His presser did make it seem like he believes the talent is there, yet he brings back the coaching staff.  Unseld Jr says that there was no internal strife so it was a success. Wut?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

The Mystics won a title in 2019.

Not only that, but the explanation for trading the pick means the Mystics have a GM that is thinking not only about this year but planning for high quality draft years. Pretty much everything Wiz fans wish we had in a GM. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Glad this has come out. Hopefully the topic doesn't go away during the offseason. Kispert saying **** that Beal should have for 2 years now. 

Batman has Robin. If Robin had a sidekick, that's what Beal is. 

Edited by @DCGoldPants
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Kispert is a keeper.

Yup.  He and Deni (who I still have hope for as an all-around defensive big wing) are the only young guys worth anything on the roster.  Jordon Goodwin was a nice story and maybe he can develop.  I still didn't see anything from Davis that gives me hope.  Passing on Jaylon Williams for Davis is an epic disaster considering the dire need for a playmaking guard. It's like the Wizards FO hates athletic players.

5 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

The interview: 

Tons of shots fired at the organization. Best twitter comment I read about this: You can tell that Corey went from a winning culture to a toxic culture when he came to the nba. Westbrook was like gtfo. Even Dinwiddie, who I don't like at all anymore, talked about this. Wizards organization is trash. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like ESPNs First Take for what it is...a show where hot takes reign supreme, where Stephen A Smith can do his Stephen A Smith bits (I'm an unabashed fan, he's entertaining) and there's hot takes on top of hot takes on top of hot takes.  

Sometimes I like Mad Dog Russo, and this is one of those times.  That's what this show is about, entertainment...laughing at people who get worked up. And Mad Dog Russo is UPSET ABOUT THE WIZARDS AND WANTS EVERYONE TO KNOW ABOUT IT.

https://www.espn.co.uk/video/clip/_/id/36168983

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

SAS spoke in that clip?  

He's not wrong to be pissed at the tank. 

Kispert clip and his play down the stretch were so encouraging.  Looks like that is going to be a good pick.  I like his upside over Deni at this point (although they are close to the same age).  Different players.  

I am wondering how the Wiz did in the 35 games the "mid-3" played together. 

14 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

SAS spoke in that clip?  

He's not wrong to be pissed at the tank. 

Kispert clip and his play down the stretch were so encouraging.  Looks like that is going to be a good pick.  I like his upside over Deni at this point (although they are close to the same age).  Different players.  

I am wondering how the Wiz did in the 35 games the "mid-3" played together. 

They were 16-19. 
 Deni, despite being in the league an extra year is two years younger than Kispert. But, yes, different players.

It only took me six tries on the Tankathon randomizer to get that first pick!