Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Slide into the late 2nd and take Melvin Johnson from VCU. :)

A friend's son is at VCU Bball camp this week. The son said Mel was wearing Hornets socks so the son said "Are you signing with them?" Mel - "Shhhhh". So it might be Mel & TDaniels reunited in CLT. 

After watching that draft and hearing how many teams were trying to trade out of it, I'm not sure EG made a bad decision in acquiring Morris.

Grunfeld calls Wizards Summer League team a "real opportunity" for undrafted players considering the 9-10 regular season roster spots open.

The Morris trade was a good trade.

Agree with the both of you.  This is no way saying that the Wizards are on their way to a 1-2 seed in the East next year, but Morris right now >>>>> whatever pick we gave to PHX. 

It's too early to say if the Morris trade was good or bad. He could stay out of trouble and do his thing here for the next three years, and we got a pretty good PF on a bargain contract for three seasons. That'd be a good trade. Or he could melt down, get into trouble with the law, have his level of play tank, and start throwing towels at Scott Brooks during practice. Then it would be a horrible trade.

It was a risky move. The potential payoff is good enough to justify what we spent to get him, but the risk is high. I also think the value of the deal was hurt by the low level of protection on our pick. Top 9 protection was weak given where we were in the standings when the deal was made. We should have gotten lottery protection.

There is a lot of justified frustration with Ernie that's feeding negativity about the Morris trade, but there are some significant positive and mitigating factors to keep in mind about Keef that argue for the move being a good deal:

- The contract. 8 million per was a bargain for a player like him when Keef signed the deal. In this market it is an especially good deal, where I think you can expect to pay 13-14 million per for a player like Keef.

- Second point about the contract: Gortat is on a bargain deal too. We're only committing 20 million to our starting PF and C tandem for the next three seasons. That's only like 20% of our cap. 20% is the market rate for a quality starting seven footer or a high quality sub seven foot PF type. Their cheap deals mean we've got a free good starting big man's worth of salary--a **** ton of extra money to pursue high dollar bench players to give us a great rotation.

- Keef's remarkable durability gives us a lot of freedom to pursue front court players with durability concerns. We can go after a Joakim Noah or a Ryan Anderson for a third big because Keef and Gortat are rocks.

- His age. He's 26 and entering his prime, which puts him in the same window as John Wall. We don't want to go too young with our bigs, because we already have a group of young players that needs developing in Beal/Oubre/Porter/Sato, etc., and we need a big to be ready to contribute right now. But we also don't want to go too old because then they won't be around for the duration of Wall's prime. You want to be finding long term options that came into the league around the same time as Wall.

• Like 2

Did I really just get a notification saying the Wizards are planning to offer Noah 4 years 120 mil? Tell me that isn't true?

How would that contract make any sense whatsoever? Not 12 mil per year? (Wven that's high). 30?!?!?!?! Even not doing anything and wasting a year of Wall's prime is better than locking into 4 years of incredibly bad contract.

Did I really just get a notification saying the Wizards are planning to offer Noah 4 years 120 mil? Tell me that isn't true?

I just saw something similar on my Bleacher Report app.

Yes to Noah coming here.

FML with talk of giving him a max deal.

Edited by Renegade7