Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Aaron White doesn't seem to have it.  Anyone looking to make something of themselves in the NBA isn't going to be shy about getting into the league, they'd be trying to fight anyone getting in their way.  I could be wrong. 

• Like 2

I think Grunfeld told him it's his way in. Unless he bowls us over in SL and forces them to give him a roster spot. I'm rooting for him to make it. Everything points against it. 22 year old senior without an obvious position, from a school with no basketball tradition, whose last name is even indicative of how unlikely an NBA player he is. In spite of that he's an athlete with a decent collection of scoring skills that dunks everything in the lane.

Nene Is such a drag on our team. I wish we could dump him and go after a Greg Monroe who is much younger, better scorer, and rebounder.

But We are stuck with Nene it seems.

I like the Oubre pick, the guy is insanely athletic and I don't believe he is as raw as people are saying. Hopefully Pierce comes back and shows him the ropes a bit.

Also a great a hedge for if/when Durant doesn't sign here

I want a shooter, I think we should sign Belinelli. I want someone like him coming off the bench. Also resign Gooden

Wall/Sessions

Beal/Belinelli

Pierce/Porter/Oubre

Humphries/Blair/Gooden

Gortat/Nene

Losing Seraphin will suck a bit

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2015/6/27/8856425/kelly-oubre-washington-wizards-basketball-illiterate-nba-draft-2015

Ford: I watched every Kansas game this season. No one frustrated me more than Kelly Oubre because the talent's there, and often, the evidence wasn't there on the court. In fact, a lot of NBA scouts were like, "I'm watching tape like, what exactly does he do well again?"

But here was the thing; I went to Santa Barbara, and Drew Hanlen, who I really respect, he's a trainer. He's Bradley Beal's guy, trained Andrew Wiggins last year. And he said something to me that I thought really stood out, because I thought he looked a lot better in Santa Barbara and I was a little bit surprised and he's like You know, I got the kid in, he's gotten by on his size, his athletic ability, and just raw instincts his whole career. He's never had training, he's never been taught, he's never looked at film, he doesn't really know what's going on. The word a basketball GM used was "basketball illiterate." And I think nobody really taught him how to read, right? He just went out and played. Based on everything we've heard

Rusillo: That makes sense on those drives.

Ford: And that's why he ran into so much trouble at Kansas, even defensively, he didn't know what was going on, on the court. He couldn't read and understand plays. But Drew told me, look, this kid is going three-a-days right now in workouts and that he's coming to my house at night and watching film every night and we're breaking down the film and he can't get enough of it. And that got me excited because look, if that's the problem, just the lack of education about the game -- now it takes time to develop those instincts and have that knowledge translate to the court, and I think Kelly Oubre is going to be in a rocky start in the NBA -- but if he's going to put in that work, and he's going to work with Drew every summer and if he's going to keep breaking down film and everything else, Kelly Oubre could be a monster in the NBA. With a 7'2" wingspan, he moves well, P3's also got him more explosive [Note: P3 is an athletic training firm Oubre worked with before the draft.] and more bouncy. They've worked on the hitch in his shot, he's shooting the ball better. If he develops, the Wizards got an absolute steal at 15.

I know it's a risk, and maybe he'll get to the NBA and the money and he'll quit doing all that. But if he does what he's been doing the past two months with Drew, and I told Kelly, "If you keep this up, that's why Steph Curry and all these guys are great because they never stop working on their game. They never stop learning. He's got a chance to be great.

I really hope Randy is ready to teach instead of simply cast away

• Like 2

Okay, that got me excited. If they're saying he's basketball illertate, but he still is able to make good plays and be a top 15 pick in the NBA, imagine what he can do when things start to click.

The Wizard fan in me knows that they'll find a way to mess it up, but there's a small part of me that believes they might actually develop him. We're going to have fun analyzing him the next three or so years. That's for sure. lol

Okay, okay, okay, in you all's opinion what are the chances of Kevin Durant signing with this team once he becomes a free agent?

If LeBron wins with Cleveland next year? 90%. Watching what he would do for Cleveland and how the city would react would be that extra push to come home and try to do the same.

If someone else wins? 50/50.

Okay, that got me excited. If they're saying he's basketball illertate, but he still is able to make good plays and be a top 15 pick in the NBA, imagine what he can do when things start to click.

The Wizard fan in me knows that they'll find a way to mess it up, but there's a small part of me that believes they might actually develop him. We're going to have fun analyzing him the next three or so years. That's for sure. lol

If they do get right, Oubre would be the first "raw" talent that they've molded into something. Obviously, I'm rooting for it to work, but it requires the people we've blasted for not developing players to suddenly becomes good at it overnight.

If they do get right, Oubre would be the first "raw" talent that they've molded into something. Obviously, I'm rooting for it to work, but it requires the people we've blasted for not developing players to suddenly becomes good at it overnight.

One name: David Adkins.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Okay, I Googled that to see who it was. I know who it is, but I couldn't believe who else name was David Adkins. Lol

Haha that was funny. Haven't thought about that guy in years.

This guy sounds more and more like a knuckle head. Super athlete just needs to get the mental aspect. Good for a crazy interview. He'd have fit right in with JaVale and Swaggy.

How the hell did he never get a chance to watch film before now?! That's suspect IMO.

How the hell did he never get a chance to watch film before now?! That's suspect IMO.

I bet he came up through the AAU. He probably was so much taller and athletic than everybody else, that nobody even cared to teach him. Self probably gave him some humble pie when he was at KU and maybe he really did have a wake-up call after the season...

Or maybe he's doing all the right things to get paid. Who knows?

One thing I do know is that I'm already intrigued for next season. So much stuff going on AND we have a good team. 

I hear you MLSkins I just can't help but feeling I read some serious spin work explaining away a players low BBIQ and previous unwillingness to work on the mental aspects of the game. 

I doubt we see him next season unless and injury forces Wittman to play him.  There is no way a kid just learning the mental aspect of offense and defense is going to get much worth with Randy running the show.  He dog houses guys for rotating late.  If a player failed to rotate because he didn't know he was supposed to I think Randy's nose would start bleeding. 

• Like 1