Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

You don't have to move Otto for Durant.  His salary isn't big enough to be a hindrance and the two of them could certainly play together in a variety of line ups.

I grow less and less enamored with getting Durant if it means losing key members of the mix. I won't complain if it happens, mind you... but he sure does get hurt a lot.

Actually this season saw the first real injury of Durant's career.  He had been an iron man before it happened.  Led the league in minutes played during the span of the first 7 years of his career.

I don't think Otto has proven enough to get bent out of shape if we bring in KD. He better have the best season of his life next season to even make me pause on bringing KD if we can. Durant is a future HOF, Otto is just a dude who could get fried down at Berry Farms. 

Timberwolves a have made Anthony Bennett available. I wonder if Ernie is feeling like trolling Wittman?

I'd kick the tires. He has zero trade value, so I wouldn't give up anything for him. But he's an interesting reclamation project. PnR roll man with range to three. We saw Tristan Thompson shed the bust label and turn himself into a high quality role player when his team got good. Bennett might show signs of life in a decent locker room.

Ugh - so if Wizards are in for KD there is not much to do but draft... and give more money to Pierce.

Relying on Porter and Beal to improve and Wall to maintain high level of play, Gortat not to fall.

Can't sign anyone unless Wizards overpay on a 1 year deal... but overpay whom? Most likely someone old... because a younger player demands more money.

I would like to forego the KD dream to move forward now but even a 20% shot is a 20% shot...

I don't like trading Beal for Cousins let alone Beal AND Porter. The key is to build on the core, not trade parts of it. That doesn't really improve our roster by enough to justify it.

I'd avoid any major FA signings(unless there is a really good deal to be had which I doubt), maybe make some minor signings, and try to win ~50 games with this current core. Then go hard for Durant next year.

• Like 2

Kings want veteran ready players who can contribute right away, which is what might tip the scales in favor of us. Beal + Gortat + #19 + another future first for Cousins & McLemore might get it done for us. What might improve our chances even more is eating Carl Landry or Jason Thompson for our TPE.

Warhead - By moving Beal and Gortat, we may actually end up benefiting on another level as well. Beal is going to be due a $22M max by the time the next CBA rolls around and Gortat, although on a great deal at $12M a year, will be 35 when his contract wraps up. Cousins is at around $15M for 3 more seasons.

Kings want veteran ready players who can contribute right away, which is what might tip the scales in favor of us. Beal + Gortat + #19 + another future first for Cousins & McLemore might get it done for us. What might improve our chances even more is eating Carl Landry or Jason Thompson for our TPE.

Warhead - By moving Beal and Gortat, we may actually end up benefiting on another level as well. Beal is going to be due a $22M max by the time the next CBA rolls around and Gortat, although on a great deal at $12M a year, will be 35 when his contract wraps up. Cousins is at around $15M for 3 more seasons.

Sign me up for that! 

I love Beal, but Boogie is arguably the best 5 in the game...and no where near his prime. 

I was a Cousins fan from the beginning, long before the basketball world thought he was anything other than a headcase.  I've defended him, at length, against all kinds of slanderous arguments such as that Andre Drummond and Omer Asik were better than him.  I would not trade Beal for him.  I'm not compromising the foundation of our build for him.  That's a ticket to collapse.

If Cousins didn't want to be in Sacramento for the forseeable future, then he shouldn't have signed his extension.  If he wants to be in D.C., then he can force his way here down the line, and do so in a way that doesn't compromise our build.

I don't think that's a good trade for us.

We're giving up two important pieces but the way I see it: Beal at his best will still not be as impactful as Cousins is right now. And I expect Cousins production to get even better if he plays with a PG like Wall.

I think we will have an easier time rounding out a contending team around Wall/Cousins than around Wall/Beal/Porter. 

We're giving up two important pieces but the way I see it: Beal at his best will still not be as impactful as Cousins is right now. And I expect Cousins production to get even better if he plays with a PG like Wall.

I think we will have an easier time rounding out a contending team around Wall/Cousins than around Wall/Beal/Porter. 

At the end of the day, it makes us more attractive for Durant to come to as well.

Impossible to say. The vagaries of a draft are utterly unpredictable. Sometimes players get properly valued, sometimes not.

But I will say this: 2012 was one of the strongest classes in a while. If Beal was a top three talent in that class, then he could have gone top three in almost any class.