Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Holy **** what a game! I had a feeling that Wittman would (finally) start going small in the playoffs, and that it'd be more effective, but I certainly didn't expect a sweep, particularly one which ended with a massive blowout win.

A big part of why we lost to Indy last year was that Wall got into a huge slump, and even against Chicago he wasn't great. He looks much more comfortable playing playoff ball now.

• Like 1

the wizards deserve more coverage than they're getting.

that was a dominant performance. it was clear through the last two games they were just the better team, and it wasn't even close.

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2

We're going to get at least a week off before the second round starts.

That's crazy to me. I was looking at everyone's schedules after the game yesterday and it may be around May 5 before we play again. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. The rest is always good, but with the way we were playing, I hate to have that long of a break.  

Edited by lovetoaster
  • Like 1

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2444223-first-round-sweep-puts-toronto-raptors-future-in-limbo-and-sunday-nba-takeaways

"...Washington was a mediocre team that absolutely steamrolled a Raptors squad that had home-court advantage in this series. And it's easy to forget, but Toronto was also the higher-seeded team when it was bounced from the playoffs last year."

:o  :ph34r: 

Yeah...OK  :P 

and nothing on the front page of belcherreport.crap/NBA of the Wiz besides Wale and Pierce punking the Raptors.

Edited by actualone

Man, I owe Randy a HUGE apology. 

He coached his *** off in this first round. 

I can also say the same about Otto.  Dude played like a #3 overall pick. 

Randy did do a very good job in that series.  But that's not going to make me forget about the bad job he did during the regular season.  This team majorly underachieved, this series versus Toronto has made that much clear.  They should have won mid 50s.  And Otto Porter's coming out party shows how under-utilized he was.

If we achieve to our potential and win 65% of our games, then we get Home Court until the ECF and really improve our chances of getting that far.  Coming into the season, that was our goal.  Now we have to win a tough series as the road team against the one seed to achieve it.

But so long as Otto and Beal continue to progress and develop, Randy doesn't kill us.  Scott Brooks didn't kill the Thunder, they were one and two seeds when Durant was healthy.  And in the playoffs, differences in the quality of head coaches get minimized because everyone gets more time to plan and adjust and strategize.  An NBA-caliber coaching staff can make the right game to game adjustments if they have enough time to prepare.

The quality of your top 8 to 9 players really makes the biggest difference.  Randy won't hold us back in the playoffs if we get a big talent advantage, such as getting an All Star forward.

Earliest we start is next Sunday. If the Hawks-Nets go 7, it could be Tuesday or Wednesday before we play.

I think it'll go to at least six.  The Nets are really pushing Atlanta.

The Hawks are not executing at the level they were earlier in the season.  They're good, and probably still better than us.  But they aren't playing better than us right now.  We have a real chance to beat them.

It's not that the Raptors were a good team, it's that they were a bad matchup for the Wizards that makes the sweep impressive to me. They've been a matchup problem for two years. It looks like Paul Pierce was right, they don't have whatever that thing is that teams need to hit that next gear in the post season. They've wilted two years in a row.

Hopefully Atlanta gets taken to 7 games. Hell, while I'm hoping, might as well hope the Nets win because we'd smash that bunch of over paid under achievers.

• Like 1

Yeah I definitely hope the Nets win.  But I'm no longer terrified of Atlanta.  We're playing better basketball than them right now and they're a little banged up.

If we were a young team, I'd be worried about the long break.  But we have so many old players we probably need the rest more than anything.  Plus Randy could use all the time he can get to prepare for the Hawks.  And I also trust Pierce to keep our intensity level high.