Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Atlanta just has that feel of one of those teams that wins a lot of regular season games but doesn't play as well in the playoffs. I don't really get an Indiana like vibe from them because Indiana had a superstar in Paul George and was the #1 seed the year before.

I think we can bounce Atlanta. They just don't scare me.

We're better than Brooklyn right now.

One thing I know: watching Kyle Korver hit those one armed threes on the move off screens and another one from just about half court, Otto Porter is going to be a key to the series.  He's the only wing we have with a snowball's chance in hell of defending Korver well.  The guy is surprisingly physical in how he can fight off coverage and run his defenders into screens.  And Atlanta's screeners do a good job giving him just enough space to launch that ridiculous shot.  Porter's length is our only weapon against that particular part of their offense.

BUT, on a positive note, their offense is disconcertingly reliant upon those kinds of plays from Korver in the half court.  Stop that and they don't have a ton of other things to go to.  The other keys:

- Box out.  They get a TON of garbage points off cleaning up loose balls.

- Run back in transition and make sure somebody covers the three point line.  They force a ton of TOs leading to fast breaks and then they shell teams with trailing threes.

- Show hard on Schroeder PnRs then hustle back to the rim because he likes to finish those off himself and he has terrific touch around the basket.

We are going to have to execute at a superior level.  Better than we did against Toronto, where we had a lot of sloppy fourth quarters filled with TOs and missed FTs.

I'm just going to have faith in Paul Pierce.  Faith that he'll be our player-coach and get our team motivated and playing tough and faith that he'll hit a lot of big shots.  And I'm going to have faith in Wall to dominate the match up with Teague, and faith in our bigs to beat their bigs up and keep them off the glass.

• Like 1

I don't trust Beal as a defender to shut anything down, I'd rather rely on Otto. We do need angry Beal on offense though because the hawks are going to try to take the ball out of Walls hands. If Beal isn't driving hard to the rim they'll succeed at derailing the entire wizards offense. He tends to show up in the playoffs though so I think we will have the angry panda this series.

My question is can Pierce guard Millsap? If the answer is no our super small ball lineup is in trouble. We need that lineup against this team because we need pierce's ball handling and Ottos defense on the floor with Wall.

• Like 1

Millsap's shoulder is definitely bothering him, but he's still effective.  So I don't know if Pierce can check him.

I'm pretty confident our perimeter players are going to outplay theirs.  I feel we have a big talent advantage here.  The only thing is our perimeter players turn it over a lot, but they're going to make so many plays that it gives us a comfortable margin for error.

IMO the key is how Nene and Gortat do against Millsap and Horford.  Those are Atlanta's guys.  They're better than Nene and Gortat truth be told.  But they're both smaller and dealing with injuries.  If Nene and Gortat can beat them up and keep them off the offensive glass, I think we win a short series.  But if Horford and Millsap get going then we're in for a struggle.

Quick Question, was our first round pick used for Martin Gortat this year, or where was it used? And do we have one for this June's draft?

We traded the 1st rounder in this last draft for Gortat. Phoenix used it to draft Tyler Ennis 18th overall.

We still have our pick for this years draft as far as I know. Ernie might have traded it for a box of donuts when I wasn't looking though.

• Like 1

I think the Nets just didn't give much effort. They were routinely being beaten down the court, were slow on rotations, and were beaten to most of the loose balls. If we (esp the bigs) play with the kind of effort we did against the fossils, hit FTs and cut down on TOs, we've got a good shot.

The Raptors swore they matched up pretty well against us too, and they got a big boot to they asses.  :)

Hopefully we can stifle the Hawks and force them to try to play more hero ball than they like.  They don't have that star that can lift them so they have to execute the game plan.  If we can disrupt the flow of their offense we've got a chance to shock the world. 

If we can't, we are in for a beating. 

Figure out what the Nets did to push the Hawks and keep doing it. The Nets are ****. Hopefully we can do it a little better.

The Nets are old and slow and they were right there with Atlanta.

Screw Paul Milsap.

Wiz in 6.

Pretty sure Wizards debuted Pierce at the 4 at end of 1st game vs. Hawks w/Gooden at 5. Wizards hit 4 3-pointers in final minute.