Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Hoop District
‏@HoopDistrictDC
#Wizards Coach Wittman: "it was everything, we've got to...coaches, players...we've lost that edge of nastiness"

Hoop District
‏@HoopDistrictDC
#Wizards Wittman: "it's hard to win games, it doesn't come easy & I think we thought that it does...their bodies were here, minds weren't"

Hoop District
‏@HoopDistrictDC
#Wizards Coach Wittman: "I've got guys ****ing and complaining about playing time...well here it is, here it is, here's your chance"

The next time Wittman actually talks about strategy will be the first. His act is beyond wearing thin.

• Like 1

Wittman reminds me of Mike Singletary with the 9ers. Lot of rah rah rah stuff but no real tactical acumen. He has got to go.

But we've also not done a good job building around Wall. Wall is a racehorse and we've surrounded him with plodders. You don't take a corvette to a demolition derby.

• Like 2

Hoop District

‏@HoopDistrictDC

#Wizards Coach Wittman: "I've got guys ****ing and complaining about playing time...well here it is, here it is, here's your chance"

Of all the things Wittman says, I hope this isn't actually true. This would be a major problem.

Jorge Castillo
‏@jorgeccastillo
Gortat said team’s downfall was relying too much on help defense. Let’s just say Pierce didn’t agree.

Jorge Castillo
‏@jorgeccastillo
Pierce: “That’s what basketball is. I don’t know what Marc is talking about. You play a team game. You play help defense. “

Jorge Castillo
‏@jorgeccastillo
In summary: That was the most tense Wizards postgame locker room this season. By a longshot.

Edited by StillUnknown

I saw this beating coming a mile away and said so prior to the game.  When statement games come along this team makes the following statement:  "We are nothing to worry about."  They are getting worse against quality opponents as the year drags on, not better like they should be.  

Wittman better figure something out because this is the team he's going to have next year for the most part.   

3-11 vs. the top 4 seeds in the East speaks volumes. 

I've been a supporter of Wittman because I do feel as though he's grown with this team over the past couple of seasons.  However, it seems like we're now at a point where his message is getting stale and there might be some discontent in the locker room.  Being reactionary would cause for him to be canned right now.  However, I think he needs to finish the year out and see what the team can do in the playoffs.  We're limping right now.  If this trend continues and we have an early round 1 exit, then obviously, BIG changes need to be made. 

Two biggest issues are coaching and the bench.  As far as the coaching, we're not getting the most out of our roster.  Wittman isn't having these guys play to their strengths, and that's a problem. 

The bench...what seemed like a strong point of this team a few months back is obviously a weak point right now.  There is no cohesion.  Something has to give. 

Wittman reminds me of Mike Singletary with the 9ers. Lot of rah rah rah stuff but no real tactical acumen. He has got to go.

But we've also not done a good job building around Wall. Wall is a racehorse and we've surrounded him with plodders. You don't take a corvette to a demolition derby.

both points true, but the 2nd is the truest.

Last year's team was built more for Wall than this year's team. And we cannot play fast because of the bigs and Pierce.

We are playing 1990s basketball in 2015.

• Like 1

Yeah the bench looks awful RA15. They let deficits balloon and our starters aren't good enough to get us back into the games.

If Beal were back, it'd be time to have Pierce come off the bench just to give us any semblance of quality and to give Wall someone to run with in Porter.

Man I wish we had gotten Pat Patterson this summer. A line up of Wall, Beal, Porter, Patterson, and Gortat could run the floor and shoot threes and play at a high tempo. Then having Pierce and Nene on the bench means you could bring scorers in and actually play some defense with your bench. Make the demand for a great back up PG much lesser.

IMO Jarrett Jack/some other competent back up PG + Patrick Patterson + a healthy Beal fixes this team by getting the rotation to snap into place.

1: Wall

2: Beal

3: Porter

4: Patterson

5: Gortat

6: Jack

7: Pierce

8: Humphries

9: Nene

is a pretty legit 9 man rotation IMO. 10th man needs to be a wing shooter that actually has the legs to make it through a season.

And also another key to making that work would be development from Beal and Porter. Beal developing his handle to be able to credibly run some offense and push Wall off the ball. Porter developing a confident three ball.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Same as I said with the Lakers...should have kept Ariza.

I also feel the Lakers should have kept Odom, Gasol, and Barnes...but alas...they put out this garbage team.

Ariza would help right now but not a whole lot especially at his price.

The wizards need a 2nd shot creator badly. You simply can't beat good teams with only one player that is a threat with the ball in his hands.

A few of you guys mentioned Ted being loyal to a fault...if anything, I think he now realizes how much of Ovechkin's prime was squandered due to inept coaching.  Not sure what's going to happen with the Caps this year, but you can't say that Trotz hasn't made a difference. 

Not that Wall is the transcendant athlete that Ovechkin is, but he's young enough to have a capable coach come along and get the most out of him and the team. 

I WAS a believer in Witt, but it just ain't working right now.  Unless there is a complete 180 going forward and this team gets itself out of this rut, I'm 100% behind a coaching change at the end of the season. 

How are people just now seeing the light about Wittman?

Are you passive aggressively asking me?

Anyways, there was NO reason to fire Wittman leading up to this season.  None. 

He did a nice job with the team, outcoached Thibs, and had them going toe-to-to w/ Indy last year.  He's grown since becoming the interim head coach.  He brought a newfound defensive identity to the squad and they were EXTREMELY competitive from the moment he got promoted.  You can't say the same for many of his predecessors. 

That being said, I'lve always thought his window was small because it would only be a matter of time before his message would potentially become stale.  It seems like we're reaching that point, and I'm honestly fine with it.  Team is still young enough that if someone new is brought on, there is A LOT that can be done with the roster. 

We just need someone who can bring some sort of offensive identity/creativity.  If we can get that, we'll be good. 

*What do you guys think of Mike D'Antoni?  Bad runs in both NY/LA, but Wall would be the most talented PG he's worked with since Nash...and his PHX teams were AMAZING on the offensive end of the floor.  Obviously, if he's hired, there needs to be someone on the staff who can oversee the defense...cause the achillies heel of a D'Antoni run team was the defense. 

We should have been trying to develop him so that we aren't in this situation now. Where ras fell off ( predictable), pierce starting showing wear ( predictable) and web struggled from his 3rd back surgery ? Guaranteed). Now we have teams cranking up and no time to develop. What a waste and an incredible lack of forsight.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

We should have been trying to develop him so that we aren't in this situation now. Where ras fell off ( predictable), pierce starting showing wear ( predictable) and web struggled from his 3rd back surgery ? Guaranteed). Now we have teams cranking up and. I time to develop. What a waste and an incredible lack of forsight.

It's funny (not really) how they have pretty much perfectly managed Nene this year as far as his minutes, but didn't have the foresight to think about the wear/tear on guys like Pierce, the eventual cold streak Butler would go on, etc. 

We just need someone who can bring some sort of offensive identity/creativity.  If we can get that, we'll be good. 

*What do you guys think of Mike D'Antoni?  Bad runs in both NY/LA, but Wall would be the most talented PG he's worked with since Nash...and his PHX teams were AMAZING on the offensive end of the floor.  Obviously, if he's hired, there needs to be someone on the staff who can oversee the defense...cause the achillies heel of a D'Antoni run team was the defense. 

I've been on the D'Antoni bandwagon for months now.

D'Antoni? Hell no. He's proven that he just can't coach defense. He is incapable of it. I'd love to hire him as an offensive assistant to a better coach.

Go look at the defensive rankings for the D'Antoni-led Suns.

Not the amount of points given up but the actual rankings.

For the most part, those teams were in the middle of the pack defensively.

The amount of points they gave up was in large part due to the fast pace they played at.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Are you passive aggressively asking me?

No, I was addressing what seems like now a barrage of Wittman has to go posts. And it was clear before this season that Wittman was not a championship or even contending-caliber coach.  Great motivator, knows defense but slow to adapt and isn't going to out X/O someone.

• Like 1