Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Ted isn't firing Witt. Ernie isn't either.

He's here until that contract runs out.

He fired Adam Oates. 

Hired a competent coach, and now look at where the Caps are. 

I'd like to think that he realizes how many of Ovechkin's prime years were WASTED due to inept coaching. 

There isn't a chance in hell that Wittman survives this. 

which is in 2016

I can see Wittman going if a blue chipper comes up this summer.

Take it back, I HOPE it happens. :(

Yeah I think this summer is the time to make a change. If we're serious about attracting a player the caliber of KD in 2016, we should have a HC in place already. And it should be someone who is impressive.

• Like 1

just finished reading that before I saw your post.

That Michael Redd being the best 2nd round pick Ernie's ever made is scary. If you go deeper, Michael Redd is probably the best draft pick Erne has ever made. (in that it wasnt obvious, Wall was obvious. Beal and Otto, the jury is still out on, imo)

Wittman will be the fall guy, but Ernie is ultimately the mess here. And I dont have faith in Leonsis thinking this team can be greater. The only thing that could make it possible is that the Wizards are not selling out the Verizon Center every night like the Caps were.

Edited by JoeWolf990

I'd pass on Kidd. I'm not a believer in coaches with no experience other than having been good players. Milwaukee is plenty talented enough to be winning some games in the east, he hasn't done anything special.

The wizards need a young great coach. Not a great former player. They need offensive systems and discipline that they can belive in and grow in. Golden state is absurdly talented, the wizards aren't. They need to look at Atlanta not the Warriors as a team to try and mimick.

The point comparing Otto to Barnes is interesting. They're similar players in similar situations: Barnes had trouble getting PT early on because of Iggy. They're both high IQ & high skill players that aren't great ball handlers/shot creators. Nor are they very explosive for wings though they both can run the floor well and get off the ground. I do think Barnes could be something of a road map for how to use and develop Otto. But again, Otto needs a three ball. That's something Barnes does very well.

The entire golden state team can shoot. Their point guard is one of the best off the bounce shooters that has ever played the game. Barnes is a super athlete that can shoot, with no killer instinct. Otto is an average athlete with very little weight and strength, that relies on mid range shots to score.... who also has no killer instinct.

The parallels between the warriors and wizards aren't that strong. You know who I think closely resembles Otto? Jeremy Lamb. Yeah not a comparison to get excited about but it's closer IMO.

I'd pass on Kidd. I'm not a believer in coaches with no experience other than having been good players. Milwaukee is plenty talented enough to be winning some games in the east, he hasn't done anything special.

The wizards need a young great coach. Not a great former player. They need offensive systems and discipline that they can belive in and grow in. Golden state is absurdly talented, the wizards aren't. They need to look at Atlanta not the Warriors as a team to try and mimick.

I don't know, that Milwaukee team has Greek Freak but he's still in a very infant stage of development. Other than that, they're winning with some pretty mediocre talent. I wouldn't say they are close to us in talent yet. Not for at least a handful of years.

Two and a half years ago, nobody was talking about Golden State being absolutely loaded. I think we're a poor man's Golden State in a lot of ways. Curry and Thompson are the rich man's versions of our back court. Barnes is a lot like a better, more developed version of Otto. Lee and Bogut are like a slightly better version of Nene and Gortat. We don't have anything like a Draymond Green, but one player isn't such a huge difference in the talent pool.

They're a couple years further along in the process of their build, and that's key. Curry and Thompson and Barnes are older, more finished products. Check their history to see where we are in the process by comparison. They won 47 games two years ago and won a first round playoff series then lost in six to the Spurs in the second round. Then they hit 51 wins the next season but lost in the first round in a tough series against the Clippers. Now they're an elite team and on track to win 60+ and are well positioned to make a deep run in the playoffs.

We finally got our first winning season and playoff series win last year. Then this year we hoped to make incremental progress and get to that 50 win plateau. Looking like that probably won't happen, but before the season went off the rails during this most recent stretch, we were on that track. We're not as good as Golden State was in the comparable periods of development, but we also don't have to play in the West. GS got a good starting five together by 2013 but had a lousy bench that really held them back. And they were waiting on Thompson to really make that leap to becoming an AS. That's about where we are IMO.

I think Golden State shows us that to take the next step in the building process, we need Beal to make the leap and we need to assemble the right mix of role players together, and most importantly, we need to find a Steve Kerr. Someone that can get the most out of the talent we do have instead of holding it back like Jackson did in GS.

disagree with this completely.

They are a young team who lost their rookie who was supposed to be a franchise player. No one predicted Milwaukee to be as good as they are.

Well maybe you did, but I bet you are 1 out of a 100.

The Wizards need a young great coach. That young great coach could be an assistant or a former player. I dont care.

The entire golden state team can shoot. Their point guard is one of the best off the bounce shooters that has ever played the game. Barnes is a super athlete that can shoot, with no killer instinct. Otto is an average athlete with very little weight and strength, that relies on mid range shots to score.... who also has no killer instinct.

The parallels between the warriors and wizards aren't that strong. You know who I think closely resembles Otto? Jeremy Lamb. Yeah not a comparison to get excited about but it's closer IMO.

Barnes is hardly a super athlete. He is a very good leaper off two feet and he's strong but he's slower than Otto and Otto isn't all that quick.

I don't see a close resemblance between Otto and Lamb. Lamb is a true SG, Otto is a true forward that's only playing SG so much because our coach and GM are stupid. Lamb is also a ball handler and off the dribble shooter. Otto is an off ball player with a post game. And Otto is more of a defender and rebounder. Otto could play small ball four once he gets stronger whereas Lamb is a pure wing.

BTW, Lamb has actually become a very solid player this year. The issue for him is OKC hasn't really needed him so he doesn't play. They've had so many ball handlers on the perimeter and really just need catch and shoot guys to be 3&D wings. We need shooters too, but a team like us could use a Jeremy Lamb though. I bet he'd get a way bigger opportunity to play for us.

We are too late to take the next step they have. They have Draymond Green and Barnes starting to show up... We have Otto failing to get minutes and no Draymond Green on this team because Ernie has drafted poorly for over a decade. If we started drafting well now.... We'd be four years away before those players started to show up and Wall would be two years older than Curry.

Walls prime is the next 6 years. We need a team around him for hopefully that entire time. Not a collection of kids (drafted by Grunfeld late in the first) that may or may not work out.

That would have worked for me too.

I'm tired of having a rah rah coach. I want a legit offensive mind running the show.

If you look through this thread, a few of us were worried of this very scenario. Its why we wanted Wittman gone before the turnaround happened. Wittman deserves some credit, but any coach would have had a better record once they shipped out the clowns. Now we're stuck with a guy who knows nothing but motivational tactics that appear to be falling on deaf ears. Hopefully Ted sees the light on the situation.

Simply put, this team is doomed. Perhaps last year we could have compared ourselves to Golden State. But we couldnt be further from that in reality. We have a combo of perennial losers at two of the three highest positions within the organization. I remember seeing Washington praise the work and improvement that Otto and Rice put in during the offseason. We had two young energetic guys ready to fill in positions of need, and were really looking great. Then Randy stepped in and grabbed a 35 and 38 year old to play in front of Otto. Cursed one out after a missed shot during the 3 min of playing time, and benched the other for not being able to create his own iso shots. Then cut one of them with the hopes that another 35+ year old guy might want to come here at some point. maybe. 

Thats amateur hour right there. We werent going to contend this year. But we could have developed Beal, Otto, and Rice with the hope that we could have a great young team next year with players at every position. ( maybe enticing Durant to come here. But thats another story). This is sad.

Regarding Randy: Man, i dont know how many times i saw Porter run around like a mad man trying to get open on offensive sets. Cutting, screening, ducking, etc. Dude was busting his ass out there trying to get open for a shot. But its doomed because not a single other person is moving, and the entire pick and pop play is diagnosed in the 1st second. Thats a terrible offense, and we are just wasting a long armed, athletic talent because we have Wittman running offensive sets from 1985. Secondly, the entire defensive set is to prevent the other team from scoring inside. (which they do well). Well that would have worked a long time ago. But what happens if they just decide to shoot from the perimeter. Is there no one in the locker room raising his hand and asking why not press the perimeter? Does Randy like watching wide open 3's rain from every single team?

We can't stop the three ball at all and we can't get up enough attempts of our own to keep up with most teams. We're so easy to beat right now for any team that can shoot threes. We can outplay them in all the other facets of the game--beat them on the glass, score more points in the paint, shoot better from the floor. And they'll still win because they can quickly make up for dry spells and bad possessions by scoring easy threes when we have to work our ass off to score twos.

Lastly: Can we please stop saying that we need our Steve Kerr, as Randy is our Jackson. Jackson followed a 47 win season with a 51 win season. Those are records that Wittman will Never ever achieve. Jackson also never threw any players under the bus. ( A typical blow out loss Wittman tactic). He also never cursed anyone out or let the game seem to overwhelm him. He also let his assistants control what he wasnt good at. He might have been a bit Rah Rah. But Randy is not Jackson. Randy is and has always been a good guy, a good teammate, and a losing headcoach that crumbles under the pressure.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2015/2/23/8089135/randy-wittmans-post-game-remarks-Washington-wizards

If you want your players to attack more, you don't encourage them to take the first open jumper they see. It's become comical at this point: team's are running efficient, modernized offenses while the Wizards continue to play through the post or chuck away from midrange. Yesterday, the Pistons put up 106 points, 102 of them came from either the three, the rim, or the FT line. It's a symbiotic relationship. Spread the floor out, and you get more driving lanes. Wittman hasn't grasped this yet.

More in the link

Even when they zoom in on Wittman during timeouts its always some inspirational stuff in laymen's terms...very rarely am I hearing true x's and o's out of his mouth.  Maybe its just me selectively paying attention to this but its always:

"Forget about whats happened, let's fight and see what happens..."

"We have to block it out and press on..."

Yadda yadda.

Its also the same routine every press conference after a win or loss, just typical cliche mumbo jumbo.  Its even more comical after losses as 99 percent of the time its the players fault, they aren't playing hard, gotta rebound better, etc.

I imagine both of these approaches, in game and post game, can really wear on players to the extent of tuning out.

Even when they zoom in on Wittman during timeouts its always some inspirational stuff in laymen's terms...very rarely am I hearing true x's and o's out of his mouth.  Maybe its just me selectively paying attention to this but its always:

"Forget about whats happened, let's fight and see what happens..."

"We have to block it out and press on..."

Yadda yadda.

Its also the same routine every press conference after a win or loss, just typical cliche mumbo jumbo.  Its even more comical after losses as 99 percent of the time its the players fault, they aren't playing hard, gotta rebound better, etc.

I imagine both of these approaches, in game and post game, can really wear on players to the extent of tuning out.

Wittman is a clown bu in complete fairness, they are instructed to not show Xs and Os on those shots.

Thats true for all coaches.