Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Even when they zoom in on Wittman during timeouts its always some inspirational stuff in laymen's terms...very rarely am I hearing true x's and o's out of his mouth.  Maybe its just me selectively paying attention to this but its always:

"Forget about whats happened, let's fight and see what happens..."

"We have to block it out and press on..."

Yadda yadda.

Its also the same routine every press conference after a win or loss, just typical cliche mumbo jumbo.  Its even more comical after losses as 99 percent of the time its the players fault, they aren't playing hard, gotta rebound better, etc.

I imagine both of these approaches, in game and post game, can really wear on players to the extent of tuning out.

That's every replay of every coach. They never show actual plays being drawn up.

• Like 1

That's every replay of every coach. They never show actual plays being drawn up.

I'm not expecting to see the actual X's and O's on the board being drawn up. Just something other than the same tired cliche sayings. There is just nothing inspirational, uplifting or informative ever coming out of his mouth during or after a game.

I'm not expecting to see the actual X's and O's on the board being drawn up. Just something other than the same tired cliche sayings. There is just nothing inspirational, uplifting or informative ever coming out of his mouth during or after a game.

Seriously, have you ever watched an NBA game not involving the Wizards? Doc Rivers says the same six things over and over again in his huddles.

Jorge Castillo

‏@jorgeccastillo

Beal: “The docs last wk said it wasn’t the shoes & it’s really how I move mechanically so mayb they got 2 teach me how 2 run all over again”

I'd rather it was the shoes. That sounds like he's going to be dealing with these injuries for a while.

He does run awkwardly though, only guy in the nba that seems to lean backwards on his first step. Everyone else leans forward.

Seriously, have you ever watched an NBA game not involving the Wizards? Doc Rivers says the same six things over and over again in his huddles.

Seriously, why are you so invested in this? The man simply sounds uninspiring in every capacity I hear him speak. I've sat directly behind the bench on a few occasions and the man simply doesn't impress me. His X's and O's leave much to be desired and the results speak to that. After games he blames losses on effort and the players as if he plays no part in it. My statements were not meant to be the sole reason the guy sucks, just part of it.

I want to rail on Witt as well, but this roster really is not all that great. As a coach, you are handicapped when only ONE player on the roster is capable of breaking down the opposing defense.

Witt runs an offense that looks like something out of the 90s because thats the roster built for him. We have zero floor spacing from our big men. We have no shot creators on the wings. We have an elite point guard. That's a classic middle of the pack ~43 win NBA team.

I would agree that it's not solely on Wittman, he just isn't doing anything to improve what he's been given.

His biggest flaw is lineup management. His situational awareness is absolutely abysmal. He was great in the playoffs last year but in the regular season, he sticks with a predetermined script. It's quite frustrating.

Witt runs an offense that looks like something out of the 90s because thats the roster built for him.

thats not true.

He runs the Flip Saunders offense. Its the same offense the Wizards have ran since since Flip arrived way back when.

He wanted this starting lineup. (not the roster, just the starting lineup)

HE wanted vets and big men.

• Like 2

I don't think there is anything wrong with running your offense through the post. The problem is the guys we run it through are inconsistent. It's not like we're Memphis with two dominant big guys in Gasol and Randolph. Nene and Gortat are good, and Nene at times is awesome, but they also have many stinkers.

The team needs to be built around Wall's ability to drive and dish and his speed in the transition. That means surrounding him with shooters, shooters, and more shooters. Beal was a good draft pick but again, hurt too much. Butler and Temple aren't great shooters, they had hot starts but have since regressed. But what we really need are guys at the 3-4 spots that can legit shoot the 3. None of ours can with any modicum of consistency. I want to cringe everytime I see Gooden take that long 2 point jump shot thats like a foot inside the 3 point line.

• Like 1

I don't think there is anything wrong with running your offense through the post. The problem is the guys we run it through are inconsistent. It's not like we're Memphis with two dominant big guys in Gasol and Randolph. Nene and Gortat are good, and Nene at times is awesome, but they also have many stinkers.

The team needs to be built around Wall's ability to drive and dish and his speed in the transition. That means surrounding him with shooters, shooters, and more shooters. Beal was a good draft pick but again, hurt too much. Butler and Temple aren't great shooters, they had hot starts but have since regressed. But what we really need are guys at the 3-4 spots that can legit shoot the 3. None of ours can with any modicum of consistency. I want to cringe everytime I see Gooden take that long 2 point jump shot thats like a foot inside the 3 point line.

exactly.

Even more than that, the best player on Memphis is Marc Gasol (before it was Zach Randolph). It makes sense to cater a team around them.

They do the same thing in Charlotte. There is no issue with post play. But like you said, our bigs are not All Star level, and our superstar player is the point guard.

Edited by JoeWolf990
  • Like 1

Agree with both Warhead and JoeWolf about post play. We don't have AS bigs despite the absurdity of Gortat almost getting voted in. It doesn't make sense to build the roster and system around them to play at their pace and spacing needs. It should be built around Wall with the intent to play as up-tempo as possible and to space the floor with three credible shooters behind the three point line and a big that can pick and roll and pop. That's the ideal offensive personnel to surround Wall with.

Maybe Porter ends up panning out, and if so, he makes sense with Wall since he can run the floor better than any of our other players outside Wall. We're not getting that benefit from him right now. So really the only guys whose games are really complimentary of Wall are Beal and Gortat. Maybe Humphries since he's got an 18 footer and requires zero possessions, but it'd be better to have a PF that can shoot threes.

When we first drafted Wall, we really failed to surround him with complimentary players. We had the athleticism to play up tempo but not the defense and rebounding to get the stops necessary to do it. And we were an awful shooting team. That was a disaster for a pass first PG that couldn't shoot. Couldn't space the floor whatsoever and nobody was making the shots Wall would set them up with.

Now it's become we're a far better shooting team, but we no longer have the players to push the pace like the good offenses in the West. And we still don't space the floor all that well because we run two old-school bigs lineups and defenses can cheat off our wings because they're fairly one dimensional.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

It's not just a personnel problem though. Randy is a big part of the problem.

When I look at Portland and see Meyers Leonard develop a three ball, I get jealous. And then I hear Randy complain about three 3 pt attempts at the end of the half in the last game, saying they were the stupidest shots ever or whatever, a flag is raised. Add that to the stories of how Randy told Kevin Love to stop shooting threes back in Minnesota.

Randy just doesn't get it. He thinks he's valuing possessions by discouraging threes and having his players work the ball inside, but he's not really properly valuing possessions. Three pointers allow you two recover from blown possessions because two made threes and one awful possession are equal to three great possessions producing makes inside the line.

Getting rid of illegal defense changed the league. Doubles and traps are so easy now that scoring inside the three point line is harder than ever. And we don't have a league of Charles Barkleys, we're not one of the lucky few teams with a brilliant low post player. Randy needs to stop coaching like we do.

• Like 2

exactly.

Even more than that, the best player on Memphis is Marc Gasol (before it was Zach Randolph). It makes sense to cater a team around them.

They do the same thing in Charlotte. There is no issue with post play. But like you said, our bigs are not All Star level, and our superstar player is the point guard.

You know its bad when Chenier starts to mention Gortat and his post moves might not be the best way to go. Last game he mentioned a couple of times of how long it takes Gortat to get into his moves when posting up. Randy has preconceived notions on what a position is supposed to do, he doesn't seem to care if the players themselves can't fulfill that role. 

• Like 2

Gortat does seem deliberate with his post moves. Not as mechanical as Okafor was but way less comfortable and fluid than Nene. He's at his best when he gets the ball and takes a quick shot. Either on a PnR catch and finish or a quick catch and shoot jumper or turnaround. Those are the types of plays where he will go hard at the rim or his jumper will look really smooth. When he catches the ball in the post and takes a while to get set up, that's when you get his dumb plays like him posting up their PG and fading away.

Randy's offense is crap, we've known that for years and the proof of his lack of creativity is shown every time we call a time out late in the 4th. He's not a bad offensive coach, he's worse than that. He's one of the worst in pro basketball at the moment and he's save by having a PG that can get people open shots that shouldn't be there.

Gortat does seem deliberate with his post moves. Not as mechanical as Okafor was but way less comfortable and fluid than Nene. He's at his best when he gets the ball and takes a quick shot. Either on a PnR catch and finish or a quick catch and shoot jumper or turnaround. Those are the types of plays where he will go hard at the rim or his jumper will look really smooth. When he catches the ball in the post and takes a while to get set up, that's when you get his dumb plays like him posting up their PG and fading away.

Seraphin and Nene are both better there. If we are going to force the ball into the post to score, why aren't we going to our better options.

Randy doesn't seem to know what good offense is or how to use the players he has.

• Like 1

thats not true.

He runs the Flip Saunders offense. Its the same offense the Wizards have ran since since Flip arrived way back when.

He wanted this starting lineup. (not the roster, just the starting lineup)

HE wanted vets and big men.

I'm positive he didn't go up to Ernie and demand that none of his wing players have zero shot creating ability.

The lack of ball handlers and shot creators is a function of the GMs inability to have a well balanced roster.

Ernie has had these issues (a balanced roster) at every stop of the way in his GM career. He's the master of creating the 44 win NBA team.

Edited by No Excuses