Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm not willing to sacrifice the future for a win now move when it's clear this team is not in a position to win a title. Eye on the prize for 2016. Stay the course for the next couple of years. Keep building with young guys and cheap, productive vets like Hump and don't compromise the cap.

That's where I'm at as well.

• Like 1

Me too. Not going to get out of the East this year and next year the Cavs will be better and there is nothing we can do to change that. So keep max contract space open for 2016 and continue to get a little bit better this season and next. We won 44 games last season, hopefully we can win 50 this year. Then maybe a few more next season. Then make our move in 2016.

We need to keep our first rounders because they're going to be the cheapest decent players we can sign.

• Like 2

Looking ahead to the summer, it looks like our biggest question is going to be what to do about Seraphin and Beal. Seraphin's going to get paid, but if it's us paying him, we'll probably lose our shot at KD. So I think you have to try and do a sign and trade to get something back from letting him walk. A sizeable cap exception like we got from Ariza could be useful I suppose but I would prefer to get a cheap body back, preferably someone on a rookie deal.

Then the next issue will be trying to get an extension for Beal done early. It's not life and death important but I think it's going to be hugely advantageous to lock him up early at a sub-max deal before the cap explodes.

And then finally we could be getting a lot more for the money we're currently spending on these contracts:

- Andre Miller = 4.6 million

- Martell Webster = 5.4 million

- DeJuan Blair = 2 million

We can let Miller walk and that solves that issue--we can find a replacement for cheaper that probably won't be a dropoff in production considering how much of a nonfactor Miller has been the past month.

But we need to find a way to get more value from the money we spend on Blair and Webster. I wouldn't mind a Blair for Ramon Sessions deal at all if Sacramento would take it. That could also be a solution to get cheaper at the back up PG spot for next season too.

And at this point, I'd take almost any deal to dump Webster's salary that doesn't incur more 2016 money short of sacrificing a first round pick. Realistically, we're going to have the opportunity to buy Webster out for 2 million or so in 2016. His magic number for triggering the clause is something like missing 20 more games.

Another question is about whether Pierce is going to pick up his player option. We're going to want him to, but at his age, there will always be the chance he retires. I can't see him leaving to go somewhere else in FA. But if he retires, that's going to be an impactful loss. We'd probably have to end up keeping Webster in that eventuality.

Rasual Butler should only be brought back on a vet min deal. Ditto for Gooden, but I wouldn't mind having either return.

Then there is the draft. We're likely to pick around 20. I'd keep the pick and spend it on a developmental big to replace Seraphin if there was one to be had. This looks like a solid big man class.

OK so nevermind about Andre Miller in my last post.

Yeah I looked online and he's a career double digit scorer but has only been putting up 5 a game this year. Really don't like the idea of adding a guy with injury problem on THIS team but if he's healthy he's a significant upgrade at the backup PG spot and could even play some 2 next to Wall.

Should be an upgrade with how bad Miller has been, but what's Sessions contract like? I remember him always killing us in the past.

Cheap. 2.1 million this season and 2.2 next season. He was awful in Sacramento, but I think there is a chance he can bounce back here. He'll have a chance to play a lot more minutes right off the bat. In fact, with Beal injured, he might start.

And if he works out, then that could settle our back up PG situation for next year for cheap.

Still have an open roster spot too. That's going to need to go to a guard too.

Miller was cashed and his only remaining value was in his expiring contract. Not really much to lose in trading him for Sessions and the shot that he bounces back since we're not really trying to do anything in free agency this summer except bring in more role players on short deals.

I think this is a good trade and one that I would have pulled the trigger on if I were in Ernie's chair. Worst case scenario, Sessions doesn't work out and we're in the exact same boat we were already in--scrambling to make do at back up PG this season and looking for someone else this summer.

BTW speaking of our draft pick this summer, this is the guy DX currently has us taking in their mock draft:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bobby-Portis-7167/#ooid=h2cXhscDrSNnrlDUEdXwLiKbLspqPvfV

I watched their scouting video and he looks pretty good.  Runs the floor well and has a mid range jumper.  Looks very energetic and already has some strength on him.  And he looks like a pretty smart defensive player that moves well on his feet.

Not spectacular but good.  I'd be all for drafting him if he's there.  Could be the cheap replacement for Seraphin we're going to have to find.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

The wizards need a second star. Without that the draft picks and band aid trades accomplish nothing. Ernie needs to find Wall a partner and everything else is secondary to that pursuit because this team will never contend otherwise.

Well he's trying to court Kevin Durant. If that fails, then we'll at least have a ton of cap room in a good FA summer.

Beal still has a ton of upside left too. If we don't get KD, I think he's an AS too in his age 23 season.

• Like 1