Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Rose will be the starter. He was voted into the game as the starter last season despite the fact he was out for the season and only played like 9 games before he got hurt.

The starting guards will probably be Rose and Wade. If one gets hurt, then Irving is probably the starter.

Shameful, but the starting spots are a popularity contest.

Yet Kobe is among the top scorers of the year and he is well known/popular ?

Don't get me wrong he is not deserving, but Wade and Rose ?

Rose will be the starter. He was voted into the game as the starter last season despite the fact he was out for the season and only played like 9 games before he got hurt.

The starting guards will probably be Rose and Wade. If one gets hurt, then Irving is probably the starter.

Shameful, but the starting spots are a popularity contest.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. If Grant Hill and Yao Ming were still on the ballot, they'd be starting too. Playing well doesn't matter. Playing at all doesn't actually matter.

Could be end of Garret Temple if this comes through, at least for this season. I do like the idea of having so many shooters on your team, no matter what, someone is likely to be able to be hot enough to hit those open shots Wall sends his way.

I wouldn't mind having Allen around to drop some knowledge to Brad about the finer points of moving without the ball. Few, if any, did it better than Ray Allen.

I would LOVE to get Ray Allen in theory.

In practice though, who do we cut to make room for him and how in the heck do we afford him?

I don't really want to have to cut GRJr. Nor Garrett Temple, who did his job holding down the fort when Beal was hurt. And I think DeJuan Blair has a place here. Can't cut Webster, nor would I really want to. And Rasual Butler is playing too well to cut right now. Temple or Rice would be the natural choice to cut and that kind of stings. Especially for a guy who has maybe one or two years left at most.

Also, Allen hasn't played at all this season. Bringing in a shooter mid season, even one of the best ever like Allen, who is that cold, is going to be a bit disruptive. It's going to take time for him to get his game legs under him and learn the system. And right now I'd be loathe to mess with Rasual Butler's hot hand. Butler has been playing some defense too. And I don't want Porter's minutes to be completely usurped.

Also also, I don't see how we could offer him more than the vet minimum. Surely he would want more?

Also also also, can Ray Allen and Paul Pierce play on the same roster together again?

I don't know, I love the idea of having Ray Allen in the locker room with Bradley Beal. I love the idea of having a shooter the caliber of Allen as a weapon in the playoffs. He's still a fantastic player. But I also don't want to mess with our good chemistry. And I don't want us to have to cut anyone.

Seraphin made himself un-cuttable so far this season. Isn't that something?

Honestly, the only real roster redundancy right now is DeJuan Blair, who is basically a lesser version of Humphries. Temple brings defense and can come in at three positions. Butler brings shooting. GRJr brings youth and potential and wing scoring ability. Seraphin brings inside scoring and a body that can play C. Gooden brings shooting and offensive rebounding another big body that can play C for super cheap. Webster brings shooting and size on the wing and the ability to play three positions.

Shoot, Butler is second in the league in 3P% and is making everything he takes. You can't mess with his minutes, much less cut him!

That leaves Blair as the most vulnerable player on the roster IMO. But I would be very hesitant to cut a tough, proven big man in favor of a wing. We're continued Nene foot problems and a Humphries injury away from badly needing Blair. True big man depth is a major asset.

Also we've wanted Blair since draft day. It would suck to cut him after we finally got him. He's cheap too. I don't know, I don't think we'd cut big for small.

So yeah, signing Allen probably means cutting Glenn Rice. Rice being the SL MVP and demonstrating he can play makes me want to hang on to him because we don't have a ton of young talent among our role players. Be nice to develop cheap options from within.

But I also think Rice may have seriously burned a bridge with Randy that game where he went into the doghouse. Sent to the D-League soon after that... That doesn't bode well.

To get Allen, I think you have to work out a trade. Trade two players for one or a trade exception. Blair and Rice I guess, they're the most natural trade options.

If you could turn Blair and Rice into a Kosta Koufos-like defensive big man, and then sign Ray Allen, that would be a major coup IMO.

Also, if he's not still beefing with Paul Pierce, we're the best team for Ray Allen. This is the team where wing shooters come to thrive. John could have Ray Allen easily shooting over 50% on threes for the season.

Also, Allen hasn't played at all this season. Bringing in a shooter mid season, even one of the best ever like Allen, who is that cold, is going to be a bit disruptive. It's going to take time for him to get his game legs under him and learn the system. And right now I'd be loathe to mess with Rasual Butler's hot hand. Butler has been playing some defense too. And I don't want Porter's minutes to be completely usurped.

Don't you worry about Ray as far as having his legs go.

He's working out constantly. 

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Anyone else finding it amusing how much love Nick Young is getting these days? You know how you know your franchise is ****ed? When Swaggy P is your fanbases favorite player. Think how screwed we were loving Agent Zero. They love Swaggy ****ing P. God help them.

He's a perfect fit for that city. His goofiness has a longer shelf life there than it would in DC.

Getting a lot of play on the Internets. Don't think it's been posted on here...

EquatorialShortFlickertailsquirrel.gif

Never in a million years, not after Gil and the three-headed monster he shat out (Swaggy/Pierre/Baltche), did I think I'd grow to respect the man who married Kim Kardashian so much and love having him on my team. Just another reminder to always withhold judgement on a person until you get to experience them firsthand and get to know them.

Small sample size (54 minutes), but Wiz are scoring 120 points/100 possessions with Wall/Beal/Butler/Pierce in at the same time.

Mike Prada @MikePradaSBN · Wiz are also 4th in D (9th last year). While Ariza has helped HOU, Wiz looking smart for letting him walk + replacing w/ Pierce/Butler

Mike Prada @MikePradaSBN · Another thing: Pierce isn’t shooting well, but after hitting 21 of his first 35 threes, Ariza is shooting just 29% (38/132) from downtown.

Getting a lot of play on the Internets. Don't think it's been posted on here...

Never in a million years, not after Gil and the three-headed monster he shat out (Swaggy/Pierre/Baltche), did I think I'd grow to respect the man who married Kim Kardashian so much and love having him on my team. Just another reminder to always withhold judgement on a person until you get to experience them firsthand and get to know them.

I went to the season home opener of Baltche's last season (2011 I think?) here in DC. Nets @ Wiz. The night Baltche grabbed the mic before the game and guaranteed a better season for the fans.

Kris Kardashian DOMINATED the boards and made the Wiz look silly all night. I knew then that this kid was no slouch. When I heard we had signed him I was so apply because I knew we were getting a big who would do the dirty work.

Ive always been a fan of Humph. Dude always seemed to scrap like a felon out there. I didnt know he had a mid range game though. That was suprising. He has played great out there on this team, and probably prolongs Gortat's career by taking 70% of his rebounds. Great pickup. This signing is probably second only to the trade for The Professor. That trade completely changed out bench unit. We went from a complete negative to a solid and extremely contributive bench! I would bring him back until he cant move anymore out there.

Click to read the rest,

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/john-wall-shares-initial-feelings-about-80-million-max-deal

John Wall shares initial feelings about $80 million max deal

That a max contract offer was coming for John Wall was a slam-dunk, months before it became official going into the 2013-14 season. He hadn't played a full season, led his team to the playoffs or winning record or even been selected to an All-Star Game. 

Even though Wall believed his skills warranted the money, deep down he knew still had to prove something. 

"I was still in shock. I thought I was still the player that hadn't developed, hadn't proved anything. When those players get those type of numbers I knew I really had to show why I deserved it that season," Wall said Saturday, the day after declared he was the league's No. 1 point guard and made a good argument for himself by dominating Chris Paul and the Los Angeles Clippers in a 104-96 victory. "Before that I didn't go to playoff game, didn't (become) an All-Star. I (did) none of those things and I was dealing with injuries two or three years."

That's the genuine nature of Wall, the No. 1 overall pick in 2010 who was voted as an All-Star reserve last season and led the Wizards to their first postseason in six years. Now they're 11-2 at home, the best start there in franchise history. 

• Like 1

The problem with Humphries is that when you look at him, you don't think that this person could be a physical dirty work big man in the NBA.  But he is.  He isn't quick, he can run down the court but it takes him a lot of steps to get moving, so he has to rely on anticipation, energy, and strength to do his thing.  He's always moving and he's always battling.  That the kind of big man you want as depth and the kind that thrives on a team that passes well. 

• Like 1