Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IndySTar:Sports Illustrated's omission upsets Freeney(Brian Orakpo related)

x96bryan10

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100924/SPORTS03/9240337/Sports-Illustrated-s-omission-upsets-Freeney?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Colts

Dwight Freeney, the Indianapolis Colts' all-time sack leader, did a double take when shown Peter King's "five most fearsome pass rushers for 2010 and beyond" in the Sports Illustrated NFL Preview edition.Freeney wasn't among them.

The ninth-year pro, who has boosted his franchise-record career sack total to 87 with three in two games this season, took issue with the No. 4 selection: Washington's Brian Orakpo.

"Who is this?" Freeney asked, pointing to Orakpo's name.

The second-year outside linebacker had 11 sacks as a Redskins rookie and was selected to the Pro Bowl.

"When you put Brian Orakpo -- and nothing against the guy, he is 24 -- but mention him over me, that hurts your credibility as an analyst," Freeney said. "I know who Peter King is. But to mention (Orakpo) over me? For him not to mention me in the top five, that is an insult."

King, who has been with Sports Illustrated for two decades, mentioned Freeney in explaining why Chicago's Julius Peppers edged out the Colts defensive end for the final spot.

The list included the context, "They'll chase and drop quarterbacks for the next half decade." DeMarcus Ware of Dallas was No. 1, Minnesota's Jared Allen second and Houston's Mario Williams third.

Perhaps Freeney got edged out because he's 30. But it still didn't sit well with him.

"So I guess it's over?" he said, shaking his head.

Freeney is curious to know who NFL foes would prefer to face, him or Orakpo? "Would you rather see him or would you rather see me?"

Click link for rest...

Somebodys a little upset. lol

well this sucks ... i really liked dwight, but i did not know alot about him. He's on my s-list now.

whether he as ****ing about a skin has no bearing on my crappy opinion of him now ... REALLY THIS IS EFFING PETTY.

to get this worked up ... what the hell dude. :(

Freeney might not know who Orakpo is, but in a few weeks, Peyton Manning will.

Lets not get carried away. Orakpo will likely not touch Peyton. Hardly anyone does.

I've followed Freeney his entire career, and he is an elite pass rusher. As said above though, he is 30. This is "2010 and beyond". He was a monster while at Syracuse, and still is in the top 5 to me. I'm sure he'll eventually slow down, but I don't see that happening yet.

I think you might have to put Clay Matthews at #1. But in terms of production I could get why Freeney is miffed but I think this is blown a little out of proportion. Professional athletes have big egos and I would say Freeney has earned it. I love Orakpo, but Freeney's rookie numbers were even better than Orakpo's - granted Freeney didn't have to play OLB and he was on a team that was always winning so he could just rush the passer all the time knowing teams had to pass to get back in the game.

Either way, I couldn't care less about what Freeney has to say and the same could be said about Peter King, even if it is nice to see people recognizing the Redskins having some talent. Freeney is an outstanding football player and so is Orakpo, and I would be ecstatic if my team had either of those guys - I just happen to like Orakpo a lot more because he plays for the Skins =)

I think it's sadder that he's putting stock into what Peter King says and not what his actual play does. He's better than Orakpo RIGHT NOW and he should know that. And he should also understand that he's 6 years older than Rak and his style of play relies on maintaining his speed. Once that's gone, he won't be the same Freeney anymore. Which is why people think he'll slow down soon.

Archived