Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Derek Jeter Faking Being Hit By Pitch.

blue collar

He did cheat. The feigning of being hit by the ball is definitely cheating. I don't blame him for that though. I blame the incompetent officials that the MLB & the union have put on a pedestal. The are no negative consequence for getting calls wrong, which happen way way too often in the MLB. I'm still unsure why selig doesn't try and make the game a bit more honest rather than just say it's the "human element: part of the game. Get the calls RIGHT. That's all.

He didn't cheat. The ump made a bad call and awarded him first base. Jeter did all the acting after he was already given first base. If he would've just ran down to first after being "hit" this wouldn't be a story.

Jeter did all the acting after he was already given first base. If he would've just ran down to first after being "hit" this wouldn't be a story.

Of course. The fact that he danced around in "pain" makes him a *****. I'm not saying that it's bad baseball to take a base when the Ump gives it to you, but it is crying wolf to act as if your hand exploded.

He'll get his.

Of course. The fact that he danced around in "pain" makes him a *****. I'm not saying that it's bad baseball to take a base when the Ump gives it to you, but it is crying wolf to act as if your hand exploded.

He'll get his.

That's what I'm saying. It's funny how people give Jeter a pass, but if A-Rod did that you know everybody would be saying, "This is what seperates him from Jeter, Jeter would never do that." LOL.

He didn't cheat. Jeter did all the acting after he was already given first base. If he would've just ran down to first after being "hit" this wouldn't be a story.

BS. He "pretended" to be hit as soon as the ball hit the knob. Come on I was watching this game at least call it like it was.

BS. He "pretended" to be hit as soon as the ball hit the knob. Come on I was watching this game at least call it like it was.

I watched it too. The ump pointed to first base and then Jeter proceeded to act like his arm was going to fall off. He was shaking his hand because I'm sure it stung his hands when the pitch hit the bottom of the bat.

And again, how is that cheating? Catchers frame pitches they know are outside to try and get the call, no one accuses them of cheating. OF act like they caught a ball that skipped off the grass, no one says their cheating. So how would this be any different?

it's not so much that he faked. whatever, i still think it's a ***** move and an admission that he can't get the base honestly. but once you get the call don't be a drama queen like that. have some self respect and just take the call, take the base.

and where were all you flopping supporters when the world cup was going on?? lol

Jeter was already awarded 1B before he started his Oscar performance.

Again, what is the difference between this and a catcher framing a pitch that he knew was outside to make it look like a strike? What about an OF who acts like he caught a ball that hit the ground? What about a punter who flops to draw a roughing or running into the kicker? We don't say they are cheating or start a thread about it.

Jeter was already awarded 1B before he started his Oscar performance.

then why the performance? just makes him look like an ass. if you are on the good side of a bad call, then just take it and move on.

Again, what is the difference between this and a catcher framing a pitch that he knew was outside to make it look like a strike? What about an OF who acts like he caught a ball that hit the ground? What about a punter who flops to draw a roughing or running into the kicker? We don't say they are cheating or start a thread about it.

see above, but this argument is the same one i made this summer and nobody seemed to agree with it then when it pertained to soccer

then why the performance? just makes him look like an ass. if you are on the good side of a bad call, then just take it and move on.

see above, but this argument is the same one i made this summer and nobody seemed to agree with it then when it pertained to soccer

I agree that he should've just gone down to first. Milk it for a bit then go on your way. No need for the trainers to come out. But I don't blame him, the ump blew the call not Jeter.

Last night Derek Jeter was at bat and jumped around in agony as if he was hit on the hand, but the ball clearly hit the bat instead. The trainer came out and they kept on with the act all the way to first base. Tampa's manager, Joe Madden, came out to argue and got tossed.

Now I understand that a batters job in a tight game is to get to first base at any cost, but I thought Jeter was a little better than that. I really didn't have a problem with him not getting hit, but still getting awarded first base. I've seen that happen plenty of times. My problem is Jeter acting as if he was hit. The way he jumped around, you'd think his hand got broken.

What's everyones opinion on this? And I can't leave this out, what if it would have been A-Rod?

I absolutely detest the Yankees. But I don't have a problem with it. The ultimate goal is to win the game. He got on, and then his teammate followed with a HR. He probably doesn't feel especially proud about it, but hey. It worked. The funny part, though, is they end up losing the game. lol Karma?

To even be discussing this as cheating is absurd. if you think athletes are going to be honest in game situations, you're wrong. So if you're dying to watch guys call fouls on themselves, go watch golf.

but i promise, you won't see a baseball player correct the ump on a call like this. you won't see a football player tell a ref that the ball actually hit the ground before he caught it. and you won't see a basketball player tell a ref that he actually did travel on his way to the hoop. and if you think ANY of those guys are wrong for that stuff, you're oblivious.

I absolutely detest the Yankees. But I don't have a problem with it. The ultimate goal is to win the game. He got on, and then his teammate followed with a HR. He probably doesn't feel especially proud about it, but hey. It worked. The funny part, though, is they end up losing the game. lol Karma?

I think you guys are missing my point. I probably should have made it clearer. I don't blame him for taking the base, my biggest problem was him jumping around as if he got his hand broke.

Rays fan and Yankee hater here.

Nothing wrong with what he did.

No different than a catcher moving his glove to influence a strike call, or an outfielder claiming to make a catch when they know they trapped it.

The umpire effed up, and probably should have asked Jeter to see his arm. (Ive seen them look at the ball to see if it has a scuff mark) But Jeter was playing the game.

I think you guys are missing my point. I probably should have made it clearer. I don't blame him for taking the base, my biggest problem was him jumping around as if he got his hand broke.

He was just trying to sell it, man. And if the ball HAD hit him that would have probably been his reaction. I don't have a problem with it. He's struggling, hitting .260, while his team is fighting for the division title with the Rays. His job is to get on base anyway he can. If you're gonna come down on someone, then it should be the idiot ump who blew it. I saw a replay of the video today with audio. Most umps could have had their back to home plate and known it hit the bat, based soley off the sound it made when it hit the bat.

Rays fan and Yankee hater here.

Nothing wrong with what he did.

No different than a catcher moving his glove to influence a strike call, or an outfielder claiming to make a catch when they know they trapped it.

The umpire effed up, and probably should have asked Jeter to see his arm. (Ive seen them look at the ball to see if it has a scuff mark) But Jeter was playing the game.

I agree. And they asked Rick Sutcliffe about this earlier today. He didn't have an issue with it either. Said this very thing used to go on all the time in the olden days. And then he was asked would the Rays retaliate when the two teams meet again next week. He made a very good point. He said, probably not, because inevitably the Rays went on to win the game. So he was saying the Rays, since they got the win, have probably already forgotten about it.

Do those who support Jeter's actions think it's ok for soccer players to embellish being tripped (i.e. take dives)?

Do I support flopping or diving? No. I don't really "support" what Jeter did either....but i don't see a big problem with it at the same time. I'm not gonna go out promoting what he did, but I am ok with it. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

But their are minor differences between floppers/divers and what Jeter did. When guys in soccer and basketball dive and flop, they're attemtping to influence what call the ref is going to make through deception. Jeter was reacting to the umpire's call. He still used deception to get what he wanted, but he didn't initiate it. That doesn't make it "right" persay, i'm just saying that it's a difference worth noting.

Not to mention, floppers and divers tend to become known for that sort of thing. How often does a baseball player get awarded a base after a ball didn't actually hit him? It's not nearly as often as the former. I'm not saying what Jeter did was any better or any worse than diving/flopping, just noting that it's not entirely the same.

so what's he supposed to do? Stand there completely unaffected by a ball that the umpire thought hit him?? Hell no, you sell it and take your base. If you stand there and you DON'T react as if you were hit....you're not doing your job as a professional baseball player.

But i promise, you won't see a baseball player correct the ump on a call like this.

Not entirely true. I actually remember correcting an umpire once when I was in Little League, telling him I didn't get hit by a pitch when he had called it. You might think I was being honest, and I was, but my motives weren't pure. The other team had put in a young kid to pitch who was lobbing balls over the plate and I wanted a chance to jack one.

Anyway, I think the umpire was kind of confused/caught off guard, because I remember him telling me to can it and go to first base. Also, my manager gave me **** for it after the game.

On another note, I think the reason something like this doesn't get as much anger, compared to soccer or basketball, is because of the frequency with which it occurs? How often does a baseball player get a chance to fake something like this? Once every few weeks, at best? I think the main issue with flopping in soccer and basketball, besides the act itself, is the frequency with which it occurs.

Archived