Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Derek Jeter Faking Being Hit By Pitch.

blue collar

Last night Derek Jeter was at bat and jumped around in agony as if he was hit on the hand, but the ball clearly hit the bat instead. The trainer came out and they kept on with the act all the way to first base. Tampa's manager, Joe Madden, came out to argue and got tossed.

Now I understand that a batters job in a tight game is to get to first base at any cost, but I thought Jeter was a little better than that. I really didn't have a problem with him not getting hit, but still getting awarded first base. I've seen that happen plenty of times. My problem is Jeter acting as if he was hit. The way he jumped around, you'd think his hand got broken.

What's everyones opinion on this? And I can't leave this out, what if it would have been A-Rod?

It's a part of the game.

Where is the confusion ?

Stop putting stars on pedestals and realize life, and games, and hype.

When A-Rod said, "HUH" was that part of the game? And I didn't quite understand your last statement because it really didn't make sense for what this topic is about.

Not Jeter's fault. The ump already signaled that Jeter had first so Jeter decided to milk it a bit to make it seem like he really did get hit. I'm not even a Yankee fan, but I don't have a problem with it. What's the difference between this and an OF who dives for a ball and acts like he caught it but it hit the ground first?

Had Jeter spun around, then took his base, then I have no issue. Ump blew the call, so be it. If a guy is out at home and called safe, what is he supposed to do? Tell the ump he was out?

However, Jeter flopped around for a solid minute in mock agony. The trainer came out. He stomped and grimicaed like he was going to lose his hand. It's a total ***** move from a guy who is batting like .260.

Next time they play, he should catch one in the center middle of his back. Then he can flop around for real.

Not Jeter's fault. The ump already signaled that Jeter had first so Jeter decided to milk it a bit to make it seem like he really did get hit. I'm not even a Yankee fan, but I don't have a problem with it. What's the difference between this and an OF who dives for a ball and acts like he caught it but it hit the ground first?

So you don't have a problem with a bad call and/or cheating. The difference is getting hit by a pitch is a transgression by the pitcher.

So you don't have a problem with a bad call and/or cheating. The difference is getting hit by a pitch is a transgression by the pitcher.

How is it cheating? Jeter didn't tell the ump he got it. The ump signaled Jeter to first before Jeter started his acting job. I agree with Doyler that he didn't need to draw it out as long as he did, but he didn't cheat.

How is it cheating? Jeter didn't tell the ump he got it. The ump signaled Jeter to first before Jeter started his acting job. I agree with Doyler that he didn't need to draw it out as long as he did, but he didn't cheat.

How is it not a bad call? I didn't see the game (blacked out here) and was listening to the radio, but obviously Jeter felt he had to continue to sell the act. Perhaps he was concerned another ump would overturn it. Whatever the reasoning it's still a punk thing to do in desperation while losing a game. Thankfully it didn't change the outcome and Rays prevailed.

How is it not a bad call? I didn't see the game (blacked out here) and was listening to the radio, but obviously Jeter felt he had to continue to sell the act. Perhaps he was concerned another ump would overturn it. Whatever the reasoning it's still a punk thing to do in desperation while losing a game. Thankfully it didn't change the outcome and Rays prevailed.

I didn't say it wasn't a bad call. It definitely hit his bat. But bad calls are a part of every sport. But you're right, thankfully it didn't end up costing the Rays the game. So in the grand scheme of things, it didn't really matter.

It's baseball. What do you expect? All the cheating that has gone on for the last 15 years and you get up in arms over Derek Jeter making himself look like an idiot. The UMP said he was hit, and he just milked it. He isn't the first guy to act like this when he wanted to sell a HBP. It's Jeter.....he's a drama queen...always has been. I will agree that the next time he should actually get hit square in the middle of the back or in the thigh then he can really be in pain.

I was a pitcher for 14-15 years when I played baseball. Obviously, at the Little League level, revenge isn't really a common thought in 11 year olds. If it had happened in high school or beyond, I probably would have filed it away and drilled the guy at a later date. But as far as what he did...hey, he's going for an advantage. No different than a basketball player selling a charge, or a football player trying to sneak the ball a few inches/feet further after he's been tackled and is underneath the pile. Happens in every sport. It's up to the officials and opposition to discourage the practice.

I hate the s*** out of the Yankees, but ask yourselves this: If you played for a pro team and your team was down a run, wouldn't you do "ANYTHING" to get a runner on base? I would. I have no problem with this at all. You do what you need to do to win the game. I wish the whole Yankees franchise would go straight to hell, but I have no problem with this. I would have done the same thing.

How many fans thought it was a smart move by Landry in the preseason to fake that injury because his helmet was broken and couldn't get a replacement quick enough?

Seriously, gaining a competitive advantage without cheating any way you can is part of every sport. Smart move by Jeter and it ended up paying off.

Look how is this any different than a catcher framing a pitch that he knew was outside? An OF acting like he caught a ball that he knew hit the ground? A WR acting like they caught a ball that hit the ground? A basketball player flopping and getting the charge? A soccer player barely getting hit and diving to the ground to get a call? It happens in EVERY sport. Its part of the games. Players do anything they can do get a call, as Herm Edwards said, "You play to win the game".

I hate the s*** out of the Yankees, but ask yourselves this: If you played for a pro team and your team was down a run, wouldn't you do "ANYTHING" to get a runner on base? I would. I have no problem with this at all. You do what you need to do to win the game. I wish the whole Yankees franchise would go straight to hell, but I have no problem with this. I would have done the same thing.

If he was on my team, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I probably wouldn't do it myself though. If the pitch didn't hit me and the ump gave me first base, I wouldn't complain. But I wouldn't jump around as if I was in some major pain just like Jeter did.

Bad calls are part of the game. You win some you lose some. I do have a problem with acting to draw a bad call. Benefiting from a bad call is not cheating. Purposefully trying to trick and up into making a bad call is. Thought that didn't really happen here. Jeter was being dumb. If he'd have just taken the base the only discussion would be on how bad the call was blown.

He did cheat. The feigning of being hit by the ball is definitely cheating. I don't blame him for that though. I blame the incompetent officials that the MLB & the union have put on a pedestal. The are no negative consequence for getting calls wrong, which happen way way too often in the MLB. I'm still unsure why selig doesn't try and make the game a bit more honest rather than just say it's the "human element: part of the game. Get the calls RIGHT. That's all.

Archived