Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS not showing Skins game until AFTER Ravens are over...(Merged)

HeathShuler

http://twitter.com/the506/status/24496606410

According to the 506, which is the NFL TV Map site.. not really sure why the Ravens would preempt the Skins in Washington.

This all has to do with the primary and secondary market designations. The Washington DMA is a secondary market to the Ravens (being within 75 miles) and vice versa (Baltimore DMA secondary market for the Redskins).

The rule is that secondary markets must air all road games. The problem is when they trump the long established rules for PRIMARY markets. I mean, since when does something secondary ever take higher precedence over something primary?

This same scenario presented itself two years ago when the Ratbids were in Miami early and we hosted Cleveland late. Here is the URL that WUSA posted two years ago: http://www.wusa9.com/news/breaking/story.aspx?storyid=77262&catid=158.

Going back to this primary/secondary thing ... there are times when a Ravens road game airs against a Redskins home game despite the long standing rule that no game airs against the primary market team at home. However, Redskins road games do not air in Baltimore under the same conditions when the Ravens are at home. This has led to the perceived double standard between the two DMAs.

Someone mentioned two years ago that the Ravens are asking for enforcement of the secondary market rules here in DC but we (the Redskins) are not doing the same to Baltimore. I can't confirm whether this is a fact or just speculation ...

What needs to happen is that the two markets be treated as one for the purpose of scheduling so that we don't have games at the same time, nor on the same network.

:2cents:

This all has to do with the primary and secondary market designations. The Washington DMA is a secondary market to the Ravens (being within 75 miles) and vice versa (Baltimore DMA secondary market for the Redskins).

The rule is that secondary markets must air all road games. The problem is when they trump the long established rules for PRIMARY markets. I mean, since when does something secondary ever take higher precedence over something primary?

This same scenario presented itself two years ago when the Ratbids were in Miami early and we hosted Cleveland late. Here is the URL that WUSA posted two years ago: http://www.wusa9.com/news/breaking/story.aspx?storyid=77262&catid=158.

Going back to this primary/secondary thing ... there are times when a Ravens road game airs against a Redskins home game despite the long standing rule that no game airs against the primary market team at home. However, Redskins road games do not air in Baltimore under the same conditions when the Ravens are at home. This has led to the perceived double standard between the two DMAs.

Someone mentioned two years ago that the Ravens are asking for enforcement of the secondary market rules here in DC but we (the Redskins) are not doing the same to Baltimore. I can't confirm whether this is a fact or just speculation ...

What needs to happen is that the two markets be treated as one for the purpose of scheduling so that we don't have games at the same time, nor on the same network.

Don't many areas in both the DC and Baltimore markets get TV stations from both DC AND Baltimore? If so, that makes things a lot easier, as one could simply switch over to the DC or Baltimore area stations and watch what they I want. I have family in the DC area and I think they get Baltimore stations.

CBS will continue to look like morons to me after what they pulled in 1999. Forget staying with a stupid Baltimore game that nobody down here cares about, the CBS buffoons once stayed with a Chiefs Raiders game that went to OT and refused to switch us locals to the goddamn Redskins/Dolphins game. We missed about half the first quarter.

My speculation is that the local stations are allowed to cater to their respective markets, regardless of the rules. The Baltimore stations know their viewers are anti-Washington, while the D.C. stations - especially WUSA - tries to cater to both markets because its market isn't so anti-Baltimore - except me. :mad:

I've said this before, but long story short...my Mom's family's from DC, my Dad's family's from north of Baltimore. I love both cities, and I'm a part of both cities (I'm also a Baltimore Oriole writer). When I was a kid the only teams were the Skins and O's, so that's who I root for. I have no issue with the Nationals and Ravens, and I see no reason not to root for them when they're not playing my primary team. Furthermore, I feel that it would benefit both teams if both games were shown in both markets, assuming that they're not on the same network against each other of course. The two "areas" overlap so much, and it's really not worth this stupid back-and-forth banter between who should be shown. If either team or fanbase is so insecure in the sense that a Raven fan in Baltimore might be swayed to the Skins (or vice-versa), that's their problem. I also understand that I'm in the minority on both sides in terms of the two cities getting along and so forth.

The fact is that DC is a much more transient town than Baltimore. Not only that, but unfortunately everyone tries too hard to cater to everyone and their brother. I'm a STH, but sometimes my friend and I will head to a bar to watch away games. A few years ago after the Skins had been at home for two straight weeks, we went to a place in Manassas for an away game. This establishment has one big screen but tons of smaller TV's; they show all the games, but generally they'll put the Redskins (or Nationals, depending on the season) on the big screen since they're the home team. At 1 PM they had the Redskins game on a small TV screen while the Steelers were on the big screen. The manager told me that for the previous few weeks there had been very few Redskin fans in the bar on Sundays, and the Steeler fans had complained about the Redskins being on the big screen. After about ten minutes the bar was full of Skins fans (along with a contingent of Pittsburgh fans), and I managed to convince the guy that no Skins fans had been in the bar because the Redskins had been at home and a lot of people (myself included) had been at the game. Much to the dismay of the Steeler people, the Skins ended up on the big screen when all was said and done with. Ultimately, the home team should always have the prominent place in a bar, but unfortunately with the transient nature of DC that's not always the case.

Archived