Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS not showing Skins game until AFTER Ravens are over...(Merged)

HeathShuler

If I'm not mistaken, both Fox and CBS always show the end of the 1:00 game they are showing regardless if it runs over and what market they are in. The Panthers/Giants game ran over last week and I had to wait to watch the Packers/Philly game at 4pm because of it. And this game was long over when the next game kicked off. I don't recall either station just switching over to the next game.

This happened to me a few times over the past years, even with NFL Direct Ticket, if the Skins were being broadcast locally here in Charlotte, it blacks out the ticket channel because it's on a local channel. Get over it people, it happens.

In my experience with the Sunday ticket, whatever you see on Fox5 in DC, is EXACTLY what you will see on the directv feed for the sunday ticket.

... less the local advertisements.

And the game won't start at exactly 4:15 anyway.

Not likely it will start too much later ...

The Panthers/Giants game ran over last week and I had to wait to watch the Packers/Philly game at 4pm because of it.

But were you in Philadelphia's primary market area? The issue is that the rules of coverage for the sold out primary market home game are being set aside because of the rules for secondary market road games.

Since when does anything secondary trump something that is primary?

I would love for the NFL or CBS to explain "the rule" that states the BALTIMORE Ravens game will be seen in it's entirety in WASHINGTON DC but the WASHINGTON Redskins game will not. And the reason for this is because of the BALTIMORE Ravens must be shown in WASHINGTON DC, even at the expense of the WASHINGTON Redskins.

Boy people really do try hard to **** up simple things.

I would love for the NFL or CBS to explain "the rule" that states the BALTIMORE Ravens game will be seen in it's entirety in WASHINGTON DC but the WASHINGTON Redskins game will not. And the reason for this is because of the BALTIMORE Ravens must be shown in WASHINGTON DC, even at the expense of the WASHINGTON Redskins.

Boy people really do try hard to **** up simple things.

Life can be difficult sometimes if we choose to make it :)

Of course no one is going to come out and actually explain it to us common folk ... :mad:

There is a chat on NFL.com at the top of the hour; pose the question there and see if there's a response.

:2cents:

Say what you will, but those "fricken blO's" swept the Nationals in June and took the season series 4-3. Furthermore, nobody's forcing you to watch the Orioles...last I checked fans in both cities have an option to watch either team.

I don't want to hijack a thread, so I am just going to reply once: the blO's are terrible. Yes, they swept Nats. Congratulations. I hope that eases the 14 years of losing seasons. I, as anyone in the Washington DC area should, rightly loathe Peter Angelos and anything he is associated with. He did his utmost to to keep a Washington Baseball team out of the Nations Capitol. Anyone that is a blO's fan should be ashamed of themselves.

you guys are acting like the game has a chance of going until 7:30, and you're going to miss the whole game.

shesh.

That's not the point.

They are our team. We shouldn't be missing a second of it.

The rule, as explained here and elsewhere, is that apparently the local CBS affiliate here in WASHINGTON DC are prohibited from leaving the Baltimore game because we are viewed as a secondary market. So apparently we as a secondary market will be forced to watch the Ravens despite having our own team. A team who apparently the rules dictate, we cannot watch until the Ravens are finished.

I just would love to have somebody offer a defense to this rule because I just done see any.

Before I start my post, if there is a similar post here that exists and is archived pre ES renovation, the mods can feel free to merge. Now moving on to what I want to say: Yesterday on espn980, I heard that the Skins game will possibly be pre-empted and will not shown until the Ravens game is completed. This is due to the fact that Washington is thought of as a secondary market to Baltimore. How the **** is that possible. I mean, how the ***** is the nation's capital secondary to a city that barely registers when thinking of major cities in the US. This is an injustice to all of us that live here minus those who have NFL Sunday ticket. I believe the same thing happened last year when they played the Broncos and Chiefs at home. This is the dumbest rule of all time and I think the dumb@sses at WUSA should change the way they broadcast these games. I am hoping for a Bengals blowout tomorrow so that we can all see our game from start to finish.

i recommend in the future, you get all the facts before posting a diatribe like this.

#1 DC is a secondary market for baltimore AND baltimore is a secondary market for DC.

#2 it's not WUSA's decision to make. league rules.

#3 there's already a thread on this .... and is see it's already been merged. nice job, mods :)

the league needs to treat the two markets as one for the purpose of scheduling Sunday afternoon games to avoid all this :bsflag:

:2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents: ... (I've spoken a dime's worth on this LMAO)

For the past three seasons, the Ravens have been petitioning the NFL to do exactly that, just as in metro NY and the metro Bay area, where the two local teams that overlap fan bases. The rationale for this request was to prevent simultaneous broadcasting of the two teams, an issue for bars in central Maryland. The Redskins have not supported this, however, and we are left with the current primary/secondary byzantine broadcasting rules. While we don't have as much of an overlap as NY and SF bay areas, as our respective fan bases are fairly well divided by the Patuxent and South Rivers, there's enough conflict in central Maryland to merit more logical scheduling and TV rules.

Curious, though, :confused: is why the Redskins have not supported the single shared media market approach, particularly since the secondary market rules are only (potentially) impacting Redskins fans watching 4 pm Redskins games on DC's CBS station.

For the past three seasons, the Ravens have been petitioning the NFL to do exactly that, just as in metro NY and the metro Bay area, where the two local teams that overlap fan bases. The rationale for this request was to prevent simultaneous broadcasting of the two teams, an issue for bars in central Maryland. The Redskins have not supported this, however, and we are left with the current primary/secondary byzantine broadcasting rules. While we don't have as much of an overlap as NY and SF bay areas, as our respective fan bases are fairly well divided by the Patuxent and South Rivers, there's enough conflict in central Maryland to merit more logical scheduling and TV rules.

Curious, though, :confused: is why the Redskins have not supported the single shared media market approach, particularly since the secondary market rules are only (potentially) impacting Redskins fans watching 4 pm Redskins games on DC's CBS station.

I see no reason why the markets shouldn't be overlapped, or at the very least why both teams shouldn't be shown in both markets (unless of course they happen to be playing on the same network at the same time).

I don't want to hijack a thread, so I am just going to reply once: the blO's are terrible. Yes, they swept Nats. Congratulations. I hope that eases the 14 years of losing seasons. I, as anyone in the Washington DC area should, rightly loathe Peter Angelos and anything he is associated with. He did his utmost to to keep a Washington Baseball team out of the Nations Capitol. Anyone that is a blO's fan should be ashamed of themselves.

I'm proud of the fact that I root for the Baltimore Orioles. I have no problem with the Nationals per se, however you need to realize that there's a big difference between Peter Angelos and the team, players, and most importantly the fans. I can tell you that Mr. Cooke is held in the same regard by Baltimore football fans as Angelos is by Washington baseball fans. I'm not saying that either side is right or wrong, I'm just stating it as a fact. As has been my point with many Nationals' fans, the majority of O's fans have no issue with the Nationals, however the stupid vitriol that DC baseball fans show towards the Orioles makes us dislike the Nationals; so in effect the Nationals' fans are alienating people that might otherwise root for their team. (Does anyone think that we like the Phillies or Mets either? And I'm sure that you all are just in love with the Yankees...) Speaking for myself, I don't buy into the "I never had a team growing up" concept, because I always had my favorite teams: the O's and Skins. I suppose I'm sorry that DC never had a team, but with all due respect it really was never my problem.

Were the Orioles a bad team? Absolutely. Their record would still indicate that they are, however they're 26-16 since Showalter took over, which is good enough for third best in the league. The Nats under Riggleman were a much better team than the O's under Trembley, but the O's under Showalter are light years ahead of the Nats under Riggleman.

These tidbits of information never seem to make it out there for the public to see.

So how do we effectively petition the Redskins front office to agree to the single market approach? It probably wouldn't happen until a significant portion of a late game on CBS is missed which is why I am quietly hoping for a long, overtime game in Cincinnati so that people actually see the flaws of these primary/secondary rules.

Thankfully, I'll be at the game so I won't miss a play ... :)

cheers

These tidbits of information never seem to make it out there for the public to see.

If you read the Baltimore Sun, Ravens section, in 2007, you would already know this. It also helps to have a memory like an elephant

So how do we effectively petition the Redskins front office to agree to the single market approach? It probably wouldn't happen until a significant portion of a late game on CBS is missed which is why I am quietly hoping for a long, overtime game in Cincinnati so that people actually see the flaws of these primary/secondary rules.

I wish you all could somehow get your team's front office on board. This can't be that difficult a problem to resolve - just schedule one game at 1 pm, the other at 4 pm, and, when they are on the same network, have the primary city's TV stations cover the local team start to finish.

I stopped going to bars to watch Ravens away games, when the Redskins are scheduled the same time, due to the whiny fans of both teams wanting their game featured. Now, when there's conflict, I just DVR the Redskins game.

If you read the Baltimore Sun, Ravens section, in 2007, you would already know this. It also helps to have a memory like an elephant

LOL ... I'm in the western DC suburbs so all I see is the Washington Post. Thanks for sharing the source of this ...

I wish you all could somehow get your team's front office on board. This can't be that difficult a problem to resolve - just schedule one game at 1 pm, the other at 4 pm, and, when they are on the same network, have the primary city's TV stations cover the local team start to finish.

If we were treated as a single market, it would (or should, at any rate) create a situation similar to that in New York City and the San Francisco Bay areas: the two teams could not be on the same network on the same day. And, yes, our respective bye weeks could be better placed with respect to scheduling of interconference games.

Interesting to note that the NFL Network had our these two games switched not long after the schedule game out in the Spring: Texans-Redskins early and Ravens-Bengals late. Had that been the case, then WJZ would break away to start coverage of the Ravens while WUSA remained with the Redskins to finish, then head off to the Ravens.

I'm wondering if that Baltimore Sun article is on-line ...

thanks

Archived