Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS not showing Skins game until AFTER Ravens are over...(Merged)

HeathShuler

Unless I'm mistaken, when the Redskins are the second game on either CBS or Fox the LOCAL affiliate station (Ch. 9 or Ch. 5) would IMMEDIATELY switch over to the Redskins games regardless of whether the early game is finished or not. For those who live outside fo the DC viewing area, they would switch over to the game after the first one is done. Folks in B-more will still watch the Ravens' game until completion then watch the 'Skins game afterward IF they show the doubleheader.

Thank goodness they're showing it here in NC. CBS seems to be pretty good about giving us the Skins games. FOX often screws us over. A lot of times when the Panthers are not playing or are on CBS, FOX will show another game instead of the Redskins. Even though this has always been Redskins country.

Don't many areas in both the DC and Baltimore markets get TV stations from both DC AND Baltimore?

Not necessarily ... some 20 years ago, the rules and/or fees changed for carrying distant local stations so local cable companies started dropping them. Back then, most Northern Virginia companies had both DC and Baltimore locals which helped when the old "one game per network rule regardless of sell out" was in effect.

Don't kid yourself. The local station will request and GET the feed in the home market, based on viewership. It's not like Baltimore and DC don't have their own stations.

Two years ago, they tried and were denied. I can't see where this would be any different.

I'm hoping the NFL Sunday Ticket will somehow work around this.

Nope ... since the 2003 season, Sunday Ticket blacks out games that are available on your local channels to protect local advertising revenue.

Unless I'm mistaken, when the Redskins are the second game on either CBS or Fox the LOCAL affiliate station (Ch. 9 or Ch. 5) would IMMEDIATELY switch over to the Redskins games regardless of whether the early game is finished or not. For those who live outside fo the DC viewing area, they would switch over to the game after the first one is done. Folks in B-more will still watch the Ravens' game until completion then watch the 'Skins game afterward IF they show the doubleheader.

Until the Ravens and secondary market rules came along, we were guaranteed that this (the primary market home game coverage rule) would occur. The issue is how a secondary market rule can trump the primary market rule that has long been established. (Now if we were on the road, we'd definitely get switched.)

Remember that this is because the Ravens are on the road; if this game was in Baltimore, WUSA would not be required to air a home game and we would be switched on time.

cheers

i thought ticket blacks out the local games tho, so it forces u to tune into local fox or cbs so u can get those commercials... i could be wrong tho

Now that you mention it, I think you're right. I haven't had Ticket in a few years so I'd forgotten about the blacking out of the local games.

I hate how there are so many rules. Why can't they just say "Gee, most of the locals around here watch this team. We will show that game in it's entirety. We will also show any other worthless games or games that are close to this location when the main team isn't playing."

I guess that would be to simple. Or at least not line someones pockets enough.

God I hate Ballmer for this very reason...WE DON'T FRICKEN LIVE IN BALTIMORE! Why in God's name are we forced to watch those effing Ratbirds and their dumbassed fans in purple camo, or the fricken blO's up in Yankee Stadium/Fenway Park South!!

Say what you will, but those "fricken blO's" swept the Nationals in June and took the season series 4-3. Furthermore, nobody's forcing you to watch the Orioles...last I checked fans in both cities have an option to watch either team.

I hate how there are so many rules. Why can't they just say "Gee, most of the locals around here watch this team. We will show that game in it's entirety. We will also show any other worthless games or games that are close to this location when the main team isn't playing."

I guess that would be to simple. Or at least not line someones pockets enough.

Be careful what you wish for. Keep in mind that at 92K, FedEx is the biggest stadium in the league. Whether or not this would make a difference I don't know, but on any date where the Skins are home those 92K people aren't watching on television. Again, whether or not that would affect the ratings too much is beyond me, but if it did suddenly you might see a team like the Steelers or even the Cowboys finishing with better local ratings than the Redskins. Based upon your idea, the networks would be forced to pre-empt the Skins to show that team.

If this is true, then I think we are ok:

David says:

September 15, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Jeremy.. the rules say that when a team is playing at home, no game can be shown opposite it. In this case, the Broncos are playing on Fox, so CBS can’t show a late game, even though it’s their doubleheader weekend. So if you ever see the Broncos playing a home game on whatever network has the singleheader that week, then you’ll only be getting 1 game per network. If the Broncos are at home on the doubleheader network, you’ll get 2 on that network and 1 on the other.

The NFL rules prohibit other NFL games from being shown on local television stations while a local team is playing a sold-out home game. The rules are designed to encourage ticket-holders show up at the stadium instead of watching the other game on television.

When the home team is being shown on the network with the NFL singleheader, the doubleheader station can only air one of its games. When this happens, there are only two games shown in the market. When, however, the home team is being shown on the network with the NFL doubleheader, all three games can air in the same market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_television

http://www.kirotv.com/station/17459704/detail.html

I'm not sure how it works everywhere else, but out here I am in the 49er TV market. When the 49ers are at home it is a late game. No matter what game is on beforehand, no matter if it is coming down to the greatest finish ever with high drama, the feed will automatically change to the 49ers game upon kickoff. Now if the NFL decides to tries to get the game to start at 15mins after instead of 5mins after the hour, then it buys them 10 more minutes, however as far as I know, if you live in the TV market of your local team, the feed should automatically switch to that team's game in it's entirety no matter what.

The NFL rules prohibit other NFL games from being shown on local television stations while a local team is playing a sold-out home game. The rules are designed to encourage ticket-holders show up at the stadium instead of watching the other game on television.

When the home team is being shown on the network with the NFL singleheader, the doubleheader station can only air one of its games. When this happens, there are only two games shown in the market. When, however, the home team is being shown on the network with the NFL doubleheader, all three games can air in the same market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_television

http://www.kirotv.com/station/17459704/detail.html

The KIRO (Seattle) link is from Week 9 of last year and does illustrate what happens when you are sold out on the singleheader network. That happened in Washington twice last year: Week 2 (hosted St. Louis early on Fox; CBS doubleheader but only the late game Baltimore-San Diego aired which was a must by WUSA); Week 10 (hosted Denver early on CBS; Fox DH but only the late game Dallas-Green Bay aired). It will happen twice this year: Week 5 (hosting Green Bay early on Fox; CBS-DH but only Tennessee-Dallas will air in the late slot); Week 14 (host Tampa Bay early; CBS-DH but only late game will air, likely Miami-NY Jets depending on flex scheduling adjustments)

The Wikipedia link does note that there are exceptions to not airing a game against a primary market's sold out home game. Last year, we hosted Tampa Bay early on Fox in Week 4 and it was a Fox doubleheader weekend. Despite being sold out at home (when no game should air against it), WUSA was forced to air Baltimore's ROAD game in New England against our sold out home game which prevented WUSA from airing the Jets-Saints game (both teams undefeated) in the 1605 time slot. This seems to happen once or twice a year ...

Now one would think (logically, anyway) that if we are a secondary market to the Ratbirds, then Baltimore would be a secondary market for the Redskins and their Fox affiliate (WBFF) would be held to the same fire that WUSA is here; that being when we are on the road and they are at home on CBS at the same time and it is a CBS doubleheader week. Not so, kids; just follow the angst on this board from two years ago when we played in Philadelphia (after winning in Dallas the week before).

I'm sure I am :beatdeadhorse: but I will say it again: the league needs to treat the two markets as one for the purpose of scheduling Sunday afternoon games to avoid all this :bsflag:

:2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents: ... (I've spoken a dime's worth on this LMAO)

I live Northeast of Balto and have season tickets. For those of us who live in the Balto area and attend all Skins home games, there are at this time four direct conflicts this year with the Ravens on TV and Skins away games:

24 Oct Bears

21 Nov Titans

19 Dec Cowboys

26 Dec Jaguars

Archived