Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: What is it with 20-somethings?

MattFancy

So, no one really answered my question. If the only thing keeping me from retiring was the cost of having 2 adult children in a house that's larger than I would need without them, should I feel obligated to keep working solely for their benefit?

(I know what my answer is, and my kids know it too.)

american history books will say "the pilgram's" were seeking salvation. IMHO that's conquest...

Yes, but with that conquest comes the promise of history with books by which the salvation will be found. Betcha didn't think of that, now did ya?

So, no one really answered my question. If the only thing keeping me from retiring was the cost of having 2 adult children in a house that's larger than I would need without them, should I feel obligated to keep working solely for their benefit?

If the word you want to use is obligated, then **** no.

There's a difference between a free ride and a helping hand, IMO.

I just don't and will never understand this mindset. Where's your pride man?

I agree. I would never want to live at home once I was grown. Plus I think women look down on men who still live at home. I want my own spot so I can bring my lady friends in and out whenever I want.

My son already knows. He better have a plan when he turns 18 cause he is out. HE better go to college or join the military. Time to stand on your own two legs.

My answer would be that no, you shouldn't have to put your own life on hold to anticipate the possibility of the return of your adult children. I would also say that, no matter what my situation is down the road, my kids will always have a place to lay their heads down if they truly, truly need it. That place may be a sleeping bag in the living room because I'm not maintaining a big family home once they've moved out..but it'll be there for them nonetheless.

There's a difference between a free ride and a helping hand, IMO.

^^^ This, exactly.

No, absolutely not. As a parent, you have to trust the values you taught your kids and trust that they will make the right decisions to live their lives.

Retire!!

Congrats on being in that position at this point in your life, by the way!

I am 26 and I can't stand the I am saving money BS so I stay at home. My parents have always been very comfortable and the net worth is huge, but I would never ask for anything. I was raised to be very independent and if I ever want to be as successful as them I need to work hard. My sister still lives at home and she is 24, but acts like she is still 14. I work with people in there 20s at my job who still act like children, because they live at home. The best thing my Dad ever said was, "I will always be here if you need me, but you need to live like we don't exist." I thing some in here need to quit with the excuses and start thinking about the real world without their parents to lean on.

Plus it makes you extremely attractive to woman, if you are driven and have goals. If I lived at my parent's home my sex life would not exist, but living in Arlington and working in Foggy Bottom affords me the chance to be causal dating 3 or 4 different woman at time.

you guys are so in the dark... its like this, we are all destined (equipped) for great things... yet if your mind can't think for itself, you will be left behind...

But to be equipped for the things that are behind may leave us left without greatness. The darkness that is like this can't think for us when left to fend for our own conquests.

you PURPOSELY phrase the "question" in the form of a confrontational insult. Obligated to WHOM? They are YOUR adult kids. Perhaps you should have an adult conversation with them.

Personally, I am glad that my parents and I (god rest their souls) had a much warmer, and more human relationship. THey did not feel OBLIGATED to work hard to help provide a nest that my siblings and I could start off with... and yet they did just that. Conversely, I didn't feel OBLIGATED to come back when they were sick and dying, and yet I did. And you know what....? My parent's children CONSTANTLY urged them to SPEND more money on themselves, and not to save it up for us. ALL of their children did. Shocking.

I honestly think that the NON-20-somethings in this thread are the ones acting childish and petulant, for the most part.

Yes, but with that conquest comes the promise of history with books by which the salvation will be found. Betcha didn't think of that, now did ya?

Umm looking back on american history what are you proud of? freedom? alcohol? sex?

I moved out of the dc/balt area to nyc at 22 after college. I go back and visit my parents every 1-2 months on the weekend and just about go nuts during that time period. Would it be nice to live responsibility free/debt free and be able to buy nice things more often then i do on my own? Yes, of course, who wouldn't like that? As long as someones footing the bill for the expensive stuff right?

However, I much prefer to stand on my own two feet and be independent of my parents. I couldn't move back in with them, not without at least helping to pay util/rent/ doing chores. I'd feel like a leech otherwise.

Zoony, I honestly think your light bulb is dim... the business structure of yester-years is like a cave man going to mars in the 20th century... not gonna happen UNLESS evolution takes its course. I hated the old story... "I walked 50 miles when I was your age... blah blah blah"
all religious beliefs were predominantly made to asimulate the masses of people... in other words putting the common man on a pedistal of worship (ex. father, spirit, angel, maker, creater, divine entity etc...). Now europeans took that "business structure" to the new world and here we are today... sad and divided.
american history books will say "the pilgram's" were seeking salvation. IMHO that's conquest...
Are you serious? This country is making the same mistakes as our fore father's. If people don't change the way they think it'll be the blind leading the blind... or in lames term - dumb and dumber / monkey see monkey do / can't teach a fish how to swim, your either born to do it or add to the statistics

I have a friend I'd like you to meet....

2d8m06u.jpg

Umm looking back on american history what are you proud of? freedom? alcohol? sex?

Looking back on the conquests of our minds as Americans brings out of the darkness a history of being equipped for things that may or may not be great. The facets of this country with monkeys seeing and doing and leading horses to water can't be denied, despite statistics related to those conquests by which the fish do swim in mistakes. I don't know how it could be any more clear.

mcsluggo, my family is like that as well. I have a sister and we are trying to talk our parents into retiring because they have more than enough to live comfortably for the rest of their lives.

They work too hard and have this odd obsession with being able to give their family more and more. What I want them to realize is that I would trade any amount of inheritance to watch them enjoy the money they've worked so hard for. If we NEEDED it, I could understand their insistence, but we don't. Both my sister and I make enough money and are smart enough to provide for ourselves. So, as generous as my parents are, we are constantly urging them to be a bit more selfish.

So, my point? They DO feel obligated even if only internally. I know they are there for me if I need them and that's more than enough for me. I don't think (being a 33-year old) that I'm being petulant in arguing on their behalf that grown adults should strive to support themselves (again realizing that there is a distinction between "living with" and "living off" your parents).

The flip side to this of course is that you have the CHOICE on whether or not to pay to help out your kids. Once they start working, they won't have a choice, they will be forced to pay for your social security, healthcare, subsidize your pension, and all the other little expensive goodies the AARP has saddled this country with, not to mention paying at least the interest on all the debt the baby boom generation has racked up, currently $13.3 trillion.

Archived