Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: What is it with 20-somethings?

MattFancy

75 years ago' date=' it was common for three generations to live together under one roof....Children living with their parents until marriage was still fairly common into the 70s. [/quote']

You know what group is keeping this alive? Muslim families (and Indian families to an extent). It's rare for the daughters to move out before marriage, and if there are multiple sons, one will stay home with the parents as he starts his own family.

I have a Pakistani coworker whose dream is to create a family compound - him, his two brothers and sister would live in a group of houses out in the country. Each couple has 3-5 kids, and the children would stay there when they grow up (and build additional houses if necessary).

The more things change...

I moved out when I was 17 and never looked back (joined the military). I did it because I had a rough time in my teens with my parents, and simply didn't want to live with them. It's simply amazing to me that considering our upbringing that my brother and I managed to become such productive members of society, both of us have good jobs and homes, etc.

That said, I have no problem with those who have an amicable relationship with their parents and decide to stick around for a while, as long as they are helping their parents with bills and such.

So your Mom carries you in pregnancy for 9 months, throwing up many days.

Then your parents do without some nice things for themselves--pools, vacations, boats....to take care of you for 18 years.

And how do you repay them? You stay with them even longer.

Stop being so selfish, get some pride, and stand on your own two feet already.

Pathetic.

You know what group is keeping this alive? Muslim families (and Indian families to an extent). It's rare for the daughters to move out before marriage, and if there are multiple sons, one will stay home with the parents as he starts his own family.

I have a Pakistani coworker whose dream is to create a family compound - him, his two brothers and sister would live in a group of houses out in the country. Each couple has 3-5 kids, and the children would stay there when they grow up (and build additional houses if necessary).

The more things change...

THere is something both inherently appealing to that prospect, and also appallingly terrifying!

For what it s worth, my hippie bastage sister-in-law (caucasion, born in the USA) has the exact same dream. (but more inclusive, her family AND some friends)

I moved out when I was 17 and never looked back (joined the military). I did it because I had a rough time in my teens with my parents, and simply didn't want to live with them. It's simply amazing to me that considering our upbringing that my brother and I managed to become such productive members of society, both of us have good jobs and homes, etc.

That said, I have no problem with those who have an amicable relationship with their parents and decide to stick around for a while, as long as they are helping their parents with bills and such.

agree COMPLETELY. It just is not the black and white issue so many here try to make it (and everything else). There are many legit solutions to every problem, and there is no need to pigeon hole everything.

(and fwiw, I lived at home for 2 months after graduating college (23?), then after a couple of years on my own I went back to grad school, and lived with my parents during summer-internships after my first two years of grad school (25? and 26?). My slacker brother lived with them for 1/2 of one summer after law school, while he was studying for the bar; and my slacker sister never lived with them again once she "escaped".)

So your Mom carries you in pregnancy for 9 months, throwing up many days.

Then your parents do without some nice things for themselves--pools, vacations, boats....to take care of you for 18 years.

And how do you repay them? You stay with them even longer.

Stop being so selfish, get some pride, and stand on your own two feet already.

Pathetic.

exhibit A.

Life must be peaceful for all of you that live in monochrome worlds. so simple. so straightforward.

Living at home is only fun til you go to college. As soon as I got there I knew I was only going to be home for breaks, not long term. I love my parents but you gotta mature yourself and learn to live on your own sometime. Plus my parents are kinda strict so it's way more fun living in another state with roommates.

I don't even get why people give 2 ****s about this in all actuality. I think the older gen posters on here are just jealous :silly:

I actually lived at home after grad. school too, lol. It was because my roommate's and my lease was up after I finished all my on-campus classes and I had 4 months before getting married. Stayed at the parents', saved on rent, helped with ranch stuff that my parents, who are getting older, have a hard time keeping up with.

IMO, there is a big difference between a young adult living at home after college to save some money and help around the house and people living at home with no plans for future progression. Big difference.

IMO, there is a big difference between a young adult living at home after college to save some money and help around the house and people living at home with no plans for future progression. Big difference.

I agree with that. Its different if you're living at home and helping with stuff around the house. That could be rent, bills, chores, etc. But as long as you're helping out your parents, that's not a big deal.

Its the people that live at home and don't pay/help their parents and just go out and party all the time. Those are the people that need to get their act together.

Looking back on the conquests of our minds as Americans brings out of the darkness a history of being equipped for things that may or may not be great. The facets of this country with monkeys seeing and doing and leading horses to water can't be denied, despite statistics related to those conquests by which the fish do swim in mistakes. I don't know how it could be any more clear.

:ols: :ols: :ols:

50 Internet Points for you.

I haven't lived w/ my parents since the summer before senior year of college nor have I really had any interest to up until this summer. Now that I'm back in school, I wished they lived in a more ideal location so I could live with them and go to school. It also would have been nice to be able to live with them this summer while I interned. I was pretty jealous of my coworkers who could just live with their parents in DC for the summer, saving a ton of cash that I was spending on rent.

And for the record, ain't no shame in living with your parents so long as you are working, going to school, or helping out at home (financially or physically).

As for McD5, he clearly has some issues of his own, otherwise he wouldn't be hating so much.

Archived