Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

No kidding. They got Rosario but other than that I didn't see too much. I hope this is just exhaustion from having no break during this "tournament".

It was a pretty horrid display. No energy, no movement. It was either pass backwards, or boot it up the field. No use of the middle of the field, Dempsey barely had any touches.

So Chelsea today confirmed what Eden Hazard tweeted the other week. The Belgian is joining them for a fee believed to be around $ 49 million, with his weekly wages around $ 261 K. (Nice work if you can get it in the lunacy of the EPL.).

That's an awful lot of money for a 21 year old who my Belgian friends tell me has yet to turn up for the National side in 28 appearances, and who has hardly set the World alight in European competition for Lille. No question he's talented, but the French league is of a completely different standard to the one he'll be playing in next year.

A huge gamble on potential for me. But then when Russian rubles are no object, I guess you can afford the risk.

Hail.

So Chelsea today confirmed what Eden Hazard tweeted the other week. The Belgian is joining them for a fee believed to be around $ 49 million, with his weekly wages around $ 261 K. (Nice work if you can get it in the lunacy of the EPL.).

That's an awful lot of money for a 21 year old who my Belgian friends tell me has yet to turn up for the National side in 28 appearances, and who has hardly set the World alight in European competition for Lille. No question he's talented, but the French league is of a completely different standard to the one he'll be playing in next year.

A huge gamble on potential for me. But then when Russian rubles are no object, I guess you can afford the risk.

Hail.

wait until they confirm Hulk...

The grand total will be £90 millions ($140 millions), assuming he will play 5 years for Chelsea. The number is including the transfer fee ($50 millions), his base salary for 5 years ($81 millions), and his agent fee ($9 millions).

GHH who's your favorite for the next Euro ? Russia will be my favorite underdog team.

Edited by FrFan

..... GHH who's your favorite for the next Euro ? Russia will be my favorite underdog team.

Hard to see past Spain. I have the perennial tournament mainstays Germany and Italy in the semi's (not that I think it's a strong Italian squad by any means, but their Italy and they know how to do just enough to progress like the Germans); along with Spain and the Netherlands. As for 'dark horses', Russia could surprise Germany or Holland in the quarters; and if France end up as group winners and play Italy in the quarters as I expect, you've a better than fighting chance to be in the semi's yourselves FF.

I hope Ireland do well. I expect England to crash out in the group stages. Even before the injuries, Hodgson was on a no winner with the serious dirth in top quality English talent. (Compounded by one of the VERY few World class players they do have, Rooney, missing the first two group games due to being a complete bonehead.).

Personally, I shall be rooting for Italy. (Don't ask. Always had a fascination with the Country. And Milan's been my second team ever since the 1989 European Cup semi-final 5-0 battering of Madrid when they stopped the game 6 minutes in and had a full minutes applause and singing of YNWA. Coming 4 days after the worst day of my life at Hillsborough, that respect and tribute in Northern Italy just blew me away. We've had a fantastic relationship with Milan ever since then, that grew stronger in Istanbul and Athens in '05 and '07. The Milan fans consider Liverpool their English club, which also blows me away. But I'm rambling ..... ).

I just hope UEFA keep a tight grip on the violence and racism that will inevitably happen and don't sweep it under the carpet along with the Polish and Ukrainian authorities. There's ZERO way a tournament of this magnitude should of been given to either Country to start with.

Let's hope it's the football everyone's talking about when all's said and done.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Germany was my early favorite, now I'm pondering since the champions league final. Germany has eight players from FC Bayern, I'm wondering if they can mentally get over this loss. As for group D, I can't separate one from another, I think all these teams are average, they can all advance, anything can happen. Our chances are no better than the others, since we don't have any true leader on the field, our defense sucks, and forward we're relying on individual performances from Benzema and Ribery. Physical condition may be an important factor here.

About UEFA, Platini is ridiculous, rejecting instant replay and letting Ukraine hosting the competition, what a shame. Football needs to get rid of him and Blatter.

Edited by FrFan

As someone else mentioned I like Russia as a darkhorse as well (though they made it to the semis of Euro 2008). Of the perennial favorites I like Germany to finally break through, though their defense (or lack-there-of) kind of scares me.

warparth sorry to burst your bubble with russia but not happening.. the euro 2008 group when they faced hellas was a joke. totally different team with attacking options... if santos decides to play fortunis 19 year old, and 22 year old fetfatzidis.. along with 2007 u-19 uefa man of the tournie sotiris ninis.. if he stays healthy...

im calling denmark or someone else to win it all.. the big boys dont perform on a constant basis in the euro.. spain always underachieves and there defense hahah .. poyal out.. romas is a def liability..

every team has a weakness .. you just need to exploit it and play your own game... to your teams strengths.

zito elllas

Spain and Netherlands are the obvious favourites - and for good reason IMO. I think Netherlands are the team to beat.

Of the rest Germany always do well in tournaments and should make the semis. I think the match fixing scandal will distract Italy and France and England are weak at the moment IMO. I do think though that if England can win or draw that first match with France they will make it out of the group stages - but that's as far as they will go, players are just not good enough and we have few tactical options.

Ten years ago today-

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-National-Team/2002/06/U-S-Shocks-Portugal-With-Three-First-Half-Goals-Holds-On-For-Huge-3-2-Win-In-2002.aspx

U.S. Shocks Portugal with Three First-Half Goals, Holds On for Huge 3-2 Win in 2002

Game was on at 5 am EST. But I woke my wife up screaming more than once.

I dont like talking about 2002.