Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

The level of class between the US and Brazil is just light years apart. Sorry to say it but technically Brazil is way way ahead of the US at this time (obviously most other countries as well). Considering this was Brazil's Olympic squad (most players are U-23) the US came out of this game pretty good. The level of class was most evident in the mid-field where Brazil had a huge advantage (save for Bradley who played a pretty good game). Not sure how the US would have fared against Brazil's A-team where the difference in mid-field would have been even more magnified.

Edited by Warpath11

I just don't ever think or wish we'll ever compete with the rest of the world in soccer. It's just not our sport. Countries around the world live and die with soccer. My wife's twin cousins are 33 years old and came here from Peru when they were 4. They've been Americanized in every way possible, yet when I went to one of the twin's wedding this past weekend, he carried a soccer ball to the beach. In America, you see kids grabbing basketballs, baseball gloves and footballs. I'm actaully OK with us not being a soccer power. We don't have to be the best in everything.

Don't get me wrong, I like to watch soccer. I catch the EPL and MLS on ESPN all the time. I look for DCU scores and Tottenham scores every week, but I've just faced facts that the US is a 2nd or even 3rd tier team when it comes to soccer. Its not our sport. Plain and simple, its just not our sport. Have you ever seen small town people crowd around a TV in the middle of town to watch the US national team or DC United? You see that all the time in other countries.

This team creates more chances in one game than Bradley's team did in five. Love what Klins is at least trying to do.

We will be outclassed by the Brazil and Spain's of the world for a long time, but we are getting better. I mean, I would love to see this US team face an overrated England again.

Edited by Hooper

Well, I know my brother and I would go to some games if DCU actually had a soccer stadium.

You should still go!! Especially now since they are playing so well. I'm certainly a proponent of a new stadium. RFK is a dump, but tailgating is still a blast, and once you're in your seats it's the product on the field that matters most.

yeah, I think you are mixing him up with Hatem Ben Arfa who De Jong broke his leg in 2010..

De Jong broke his leg during a Man City v Bolton game. Evans cut his knee causing ligament damage and stitches.

Ok, I'll try and keep this as short as possible. First though:

TL;DR :pfft:

The reason DCU does not have a stadium right is a combination of a few factors. The first being the most important. Lack of investors. Right now the team only has one sole owner and that is Will Chang. He owns a portion of the SF Giants. The team used to also be owned by Victor McFarlane (Real Estate Developer). The team and city were making grounds on building a residential/urban stadium in Poplar Point back in 2007 I believe. Just in time for the house market bubble and economy to collapse. McFarlane lost a good amount of money during this time and had to be bought out by Chang. I also firmly believe if that ******** Adrian Fenty hadn't backed out on his word of helping the team build the stadium there it still could have happened, but that's a WHOLE other subject.

It's been the same issue ever since. DCU wants the City to help with the stadium construction but the DC Council will obviously not help due to the rough economy and quite frankly does not want to tax their residents even more for a stadium (something I agree with the City in).

Why not just bulldoze RFK and build the stadium there?

If it were that easy I think the Redskins would already have Snyderdome there. The stadium is federally owned land and the process to turn it over for redevelopment is just impossible at this point. That's as easy as I can put it.

There has been a speck of good news recently though. Word has been circulating that Chang has been in talks with 2 investors. One being Erick Thohir, a businessman from Indonesia who owns a part of the 76ers and the other being a unnamed American investor. The talks are in the late stages and things are looking really good. With 2 new investors the team can now go to the City with a better hand. I've been reading articles and the new deal would be DCU footing the bill for all Stadium construction while the City would help with infrastructure. Even with new investors though it's not 100% certain the team would stay in DC.

Either way I want/need this team to stay in DC. If it were to move to Baltimore it would be dead to me. I just can NOT root for that city. Throughout all this though I've always believed that I would wake up and see that the team was getting a new stadium in DC and I still firmly believe that. It's only a matter of time.

Also here's the latest update from a well known and accurate Soccer Insider Steven Goff

Even as a lifelong Orioles fan, I can't root for another team in Baltimore. Thanks for the info BSF. You would think that Major League Soccer would step in and make sure one of their flagship franchises would get a stadium and make sure they stay in DC.

I think MLS actually did help them out this year by not giving them any issues about their lease with RFK expiring.

So now it's official. For only the 18th time in their 120 year history, Liverpool Football Club has a new manager/ HC.

Welcome Brendan Rodgers.

brendan_rodgers_anfield_10.jpg

Certainly feeling better on him today after watching the presser and subsequent piece from the club channel with him. Comes across as a very personable, intelligent, humble guy who's just elated to be at one of the biggest clubs in World soccer and will give everything he has to turn Liverpool's fortunes around. And one who fully understands the traditions of the very unique Liverpool way of doing things, even in the modern age.

I still fear for his relative complete lack of experience at anything like this level; but if FSG fully back him with time and resources, and the players fully buy into his philosophy; he could well take this forward in a very exciting manner. The one thing I am enthused about with Rodgers is he appears to be a very diligent, hard working coach/ teacher on the practice field; who's badged up to his eyeballs with a diverse knowledge of different Countries and styles in his locker.

Not getting too enthused as he still has everything to prove, but a very good first impression indeed.

Here's to a successful new chapter in the rich history of Liverpool FC.

The long road back to the top starts here.

Hail.

I'd like to ask Jermaine Jones why he didnt break Marcelos nose when he kicked the ball into Cherundolo lying on the ground.

THAT"S YOUR ****ING ROLE!

Bunch of bad bounces. The US looked great for stretches and horrible for stretches.

Gooch- your time is done. Sad, but truth.

The positives-

We have a legit LB.

We have more midfield talent than we have ever had.

We have multiple options up top.

I have been BY FAR the biggest critic of Michael Bradley (though mostly because of his fathers nepotism), but wow is he playing lights out now.

I love watching Brazil play. It's just awesome.

I remember Jürgen Klinsmann during the world cup talking about how we didn't have as much talent as other countries because most of our talented athletes decide to play other sports. Klinsmann said, we have to get into communities and really try to establish soccer a illegitimate path for athletics. I think he sees how much talent we have at every sport. Imagine if we can get just a small margin of talented athletes to take on soccer, I think we can make the US into a power, but it will takes some time.

Edited by heyholetsgogrant

I remember Jürgen Klinsmann during the world cup talking about how we didn't have as much talent as other countries because most of our talented athletes decide to play other sports. Klinsmann said, we have to get into communities and really try to establish soccer a illegitimate path for athletics. I think he sees how much talent we have at every sport. Imagine if we can get just a small margin of talented athletes to take on soccer, I think we can make the US into a power, but it will takes some time.

I don't buy this argument. D1 college soccer, particularly, is loaded with tall/fast/strong athletes but the problem is they CAN'T play soccer at a high enough level. Their skills and game intelligence just isn't high enough so they can't move up the pipeline. But it's also a misleading idea, did you see some of the guys that were on the field for Brazil? They were slight and skin and bone.

We have enough talented athletes, they just need to learn to play soccer.

I don't buy this argument. D1 college soccer, particularly, is loaded with tall/fast/strong athletes but the problem is they CAN'T play soccer at a high enough level. Their skills and game intelligence just isn't high enough so they can't move up the pipeline. But it's also a misleading idea, did you see some of the guys that were on the field for Brazil? They were slight and skin and bone.

We have enough talented athletes, they just need to learn to play soccer.

Well who is gonna tech them then? Should we ask the Brazilians to hold a soccer camp for the summer?

You guys should play championships such as copa libertadores, copa america, that will give you the best boost. I'm sure you have enough young willing talented players. Your national championship being the graveyard of foreign over the hill players won't help (except for business) as much as playing the best teams of conmebol.

Edited by FrFan

You guys should play championships such as copa libertadores, copa america, that will give you the best boost. I'm sure you have enough young willing talented players. Your national championship being the graveyard of foreign over the hill players won't help (except for business) as much as playing the best teams of conmebol.

MLS conflicts. That's why we've only competed in the copa america twice since first invited in 1993. I agree it would a great thing to do though. If we put up a good showing we'd atleast gain some respect from the soccer countries South of us.As far as copa liberatadores that's a club football competition. That means it would have to be MLS teams we'd send rather than national team. I believe we need to compete in as many international tournaments as possible. Hell you imagine what kind of boost it would be to US soccer mentality is we came back from South America with a trophy whether it be Copa America or Copa Bolivia? Winner or rummer up might start to make some heads nods like "we see you USA"

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

Paul Lambert to Aston Villa. Interesting that none of the three promoted sides from last year will have the same manager to start successive seasons. I'm sure Mark Hughes would like the opportunity as well but he won't get it, yet. But, as soon as he gets the slightest hint of an opportunity he'll jump. I really enjoyed Rovers under his tenure but since then I think he's become a bit too mercenary in a world of mercenaries.

Well who is gonna tech them then? Should we ask the Brazilians to hold a soccer camp for the summer?

they just held one last Wednesday....

---------- Post added June-2nd-2012 at 11:06 AM ----------

I guess Financial Fair Play is a joke. Or should I say, Chelsea is making a joke out of FFP. If the rumors are true, they just added Hulk to Hazard putting their spending in the neighborhood of 70 million pounds

anyone know what time El Salvador and Honduras play today? Is it televised?

England v Belgium on Fox Soccer at noon. The debut of goal line technology in England. I know I did not answer your question at all.

PS....is the USA v Canada game on tv tonight? What channel? What time?