Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

10 minutes ago, FrFan said:

The teams which are playing to go to the pk shootout are usually the weakest in terms of technical skills, offense, coaching, but they do have a great cardio.

They feel they have a stronger chance to beat the favorite during a pk shootout because they face less pressure. It's a mental game, their only purpose is to make you fail in order to get into your head making you losing your temper or This.

I've witnessed so many great ones missing pks in OT or during regulation, Zico, Platini, Ronaldo, Messi in OT during the final of Copa America, Maradona missing 5 in a row in the argentinian league, etc...

Oh I know that it’s usually the weaker team just trying to flip the script in PK’s, but it’s not unusual to see the better team resign themselves to going into PK’s. I just REALLY hate PK shoot-outs especially as they are designed now. Now, if they looked like the early US soccer shoot-outs with the run-up 1v1 that I’m slightly more OK with....slightly.

2 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Of all the teams yesterday, Russia was clearly playing for PKs.  Spain was trying to score, but inept....but when your CBs don't attack and try to overload the defense... you wonder if they really were. 

Re: Firmino

I just think that Brazil is stacked everywhere... yes a False 9 type of position (that's more CF, right?) is where he would play, but it's not like their midfielders are lacking in anything that he brings to the table -- is it?  I suppose I will see in a couple hours.... 

Shut down Coutinho and Brazil becomes an average team. I really enjoyed their last game, I expect Mexico to give them a hard time though.

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Oh I know that it’s usually the weaker team just trying to flip the script in PK’s, but it’s not unusual to see the better team resign themselves to going into PK’s. I just REALLY hate PK shoot-outs especially as they are designed now. Now, if they looked like the early US soccer shoot-outs with the run-up 1v1 that I’m slightly more OK with....slightly.

I know it sucks, we could let 10 substitutions allowed in OT, and start shooting the pks before the start of OT. Then if the OT ends in a draw the game goes to the pk shootout winner. I don't know ? :)

Edited by FrFan

31 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Re: Firmino

I just think that Brazil is stacked everywhere... yes a False 9 type of position (that's more CF, right?) is where he would play, but it's not like their midfielders are lacking in anything that he brings to the table -- is it?  I suppose I will see in a couple hours.... 

I think he’s clearly better than Jesus at presenting a target with his back to goal, taking and holding a pass for those attacking mids (Neymar and Coutinho) to run off of. Just gives that attack more options, IMO, as we know Firmino has a good nose for a goal also.

2 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I have NEVER understood the whole “well lets just take ‘em to penalties” mentality. It may be that I’m a keeper dad and PK’s disgust me, but why in the world would you risk your WC life on something so arbitrary?!

And after watching the replays of the PK shootouts, well apparently no one told those kickers that they were supposed to put the ball in the upper 90. Leaving it mid-height and wide is asking for it to be blocked.

No doubt there were some unusually poor kicks by both teams, players weren't using any real technique to throw off the keeper, it was just run up and hit it left.

12 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I find myself really enjoying the Mexican team....also think it is great the way the ref is calling very little.

it could work against the entertainment value of this game if he's not calling it. I think he's doing a good job. 

I get it soccer is a great sport, the world loves it, it doesn't need to be changed.  But this is why I gravitate towards rooting for the teams that I perceive do less of this bull**** acting.  And it's a shame, because a team that plays as beautifully as Brazil should be easy to root for.

He got stepped on. How does VAR not review that?? Mexico allowed to be dirty at the World Cup too.

7 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

That should be a card.  Neymar exaggerated actual fouls so much they don’t get called 

That's what VAR is for. Except against Mexico I guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

He got stepped on. How does VAR not review that?? Mexico allowed to be dirty at the World Cup too.

That's what VAR is for. Except against Mexico I guess.

It’s because it was Neymar.  Refs hate him.