Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

5 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

England vs Russia in the Semifinal? Either one of those teams in the cup final would be surprising but it looks very possible.

I think Croatia knocks off Russia. They underperformed today but they are the superior team.

• Like 1

I thought the Denmark goalie sounded familiar, when they showed his father in the stands, I remembered why.

I think at this point, I'm rooting for England or Belgium, though beyond that, I'd like to see a 9th country join the list of winners.  Uruguay and France playing each other guarantees one of them the semis, but I'll be rooting against Brazil for sure, for that reason only.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mohamed-salah-signs-new-five-14852979#ICID=ios_EchoNewsApp_AppShare_Click_MessageShare

Wonderful start to the week. And ‘proper’ football is finally back with pre-season training beginning today.! Enough with this World Cup nonsense! :P.

With that, top draw additions Fabinho and Keita now officially Reds; along with Ramos crying the pitch like a tart, making it instantly the best WC EVER, life is great!

4 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Well crap....I picked the WRONG freaking day to spend driving to Charleston, SC.!!!

Spain and Denmark gone...Croatia and Russia through. Never saw that coming.

Meh. You missed little. 

Spain- Russia was up there with France- Denmark as the worst game the entire tournament. And Croatia forgot how to play football and went into a nervous shell which had the later game little better. 

4 hours of combined teadium. If exciting in the final outcome.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Thanks 1

Only one game of any personal interest today and it has t be the early one when I’m working darn it!

Belgium- Japan is just ‘meh.’ Gutted to miss Brazil. What the WC is all about for me. You think the WC, you think those gold shirts and all the wonderful players over the years from what has always been the ‘home’ of football IMHO. Whatever the English like to think. 

Most wveryones favourite ‘second’ team. If it’s possible to have a neautral Nation to root for, most would find Brazil acceptable as such.

Side Note: Uterly mad how Jesus continues to start over Bobby as he continues to underwhelm. 

Double, VERY important side note: Note to the Russian TV directors. One of the main things with Brazil the WC is hot ass latin woman in bikinis the crowd. Which had been sadly and maddeningly lacking thus far. 

MORE shots of hot, bare ass Brazilians sambaring! 

Sort it out Russian TV fella’s!

Hail.

• Like 2

Another day of World Cup Action.... what fun

Re: Spain-Russia 

Spain has no one to blame but themselves... you can only pass it to each other for so long until trying to actually trying to break down a defense.  I know that I wasn't able to hear the commentators, but they were talking about how great Russia's defense was -- I thought it was Spain's offense that was so poor.  When they tried to get creative and do something, they were more successful.... but they seemed too non-chalant and happy to go to penalties.  I'm thinking the chance where the right-striker (sub) slipped the ball past the defender and got in on goal and a couple times where they worked it into the corner with Aspas.  Problem for Spain was no one was there secondarily to finish up the action or provide support.  Russia was dead tired after 70 minutes.  Spain was tired about 30 minutes after.  I can't recall once where Busquets or Pique or Ramos actually went from defensive holding to offensive minded -- think when Uruguay was trying to score and seeing Godin do a give-go (it was unsuccessful) that actually added some creativity.  

Re: Croatia-Denmark

It didn't matter at the end, but can't believe no red card was given to Denmark and don't understand the rule.  He had no chance of getting the ball... and ST was clear.  Modric was the captain, but Rakitic should have taken the PK that Modric got saved on.  Croatia is the better team, but I ended up rooting for Denmark underdogs ... they created more chances which was surprising.  

Really looking forward to Brazil-Mexico... perhaps I'm putting too much faith on El Tri this year... I assumed that they would make it to the round of 8, but Brazil was the third favorite I had and the only one alive (Spain, Germany and Brazil were the 3 teams i thought would win).  Belgium Japan should also be an intriguing matchup.... 

@Gibbs Hog Heaven

Looking at stats -- Jesus 20 Apps, 10 goals --- Firmino 26 Apps, 6 goals... 

Sure, I would think of Firmino as more central-forward player and Jesus as a striker, but physical talent wise, Jesus is up there.  

Between Neymar and Coutinho, Willian.... Firmino would be someone best left to come off the bench.... 

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

@Gibbs Hog Heaven

Looking at stats -- Jesus 20 Apps, 10 goals --- Firmino 26 Apps, 6 goals... 

Sure, I would think of Firmino as more central-forward player and Jesus as a striker, but physical talent wise, Jesus is up there.  

Between Neymar and Coutinho, Willian.... Firmino would be someone best left to come off the bench.... 

TBF, I wonder how many of Firmino’s apps were 10-15 minute cameos? Seems he’s been relegated to a lot of that in friendlies leading up, and Jesus is their new wunderkid. Jesus is a dynamic talent, without question, but attacking options is not Brazil’s problem. Having Firmino in a holding and creating 9 position might actually help the attack more than a go to goal striker.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Meh. You missed little. 

Spain- Russia was up there with France- Denmark as the worst game the entire tournament. And Croatia forgot how to play football and went into a nervous shell which had the later game little better. 

4 hours of combined teadium. If exciting in the final outcome.

Hail.

I have NEVER understood the whole “well lets just take ‘em to penalties” mentality. It may be that I’m a keeper dad and PK’s disgust me, but why in the world would you risk your WC life on something so arbitrary?!

And after watching the replays of the PK shootouts, well apparently no one told those kickers that they were supposed to put the ball in the upper 90. Leaving it mid-height and wide is asking for it to be blocked.

8 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

France is starting to look scary, they didn't look great in the lead-up games and even in the first group stage game but they seem to be getting better each game.

They are, IMO, playin a brand of Mourinho ball. Kinda smart as defense isn’t their strong suit so it gives them cover while also giving their speedy attackers room to counter into. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I have NEVER understood the whole “well lets just take ‘em to penalties” mentality. It may be that I’m a keeper dad and PK’s disgust me, but why in the world would you risk your WC life on something so arbitrary?!

And after watching the replays of the PK shootouts, well apparently no one told those kickers that they were supposed to put the ball in the upper 90. Leaving it mid-height and wide is asking for it to be blocked.

The teams which are playing to go to the pk shootout are usually the weakest in terms of technical skills, offense, coaching, but they do have a great cardio.

They feel they have a stronger chance to beat the favorite during a pk shootout because they face less pressure. It's a mental game, their only purpose is to make you fail in order to get into your head making you losing your temper or This.

I've witnessed so many great ones missing pks in OT or during regulation, Zico, Platini, Ronaldo, Messi in OT during the final of Copa America, Maradona missing 5 in a row in the argentinian league, etc...

Edited by FrFan
  • Thanks 1

Of all the teams yesterday, Russia was clearly playing for PKs.  Spain was trying to score, but inept....but when your CBs don't attack and try to overload the defense... you wonder if they really were. 

Re: Firmino

I just think that Brazil is stacked everywhere... yes a False 9 type of position (that's more CF, right?) is where he would play, but it's not like their midfielders are lacking in anything that he brings to the table -- is it?  I suppose I will see in a couple hours.... 

• Thanks 1