Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Another manager sacked for Rovers. Appleton started off so bright and had been abysmal since the FA Cup win against Arsenal. Rovers went from 4 points off of the playoffs to 4 points off of relegation in 2 months. Back to Gary Bowyer as caretaker. This is so sad seeing such a once proud club being run like this.

Edited by Old Bay

A lot of people wanted this guy, bsf. It's interesting to see how it plays out. But obviously it was Bob Bradley's player selection that was the problem.

I think I've mentioned it before but similar accusations of lack of tactical instructions have been levied at Rudi Voller, another German great, when he was managing Germany (IIRC). It could be a generational thing.

Fundamentally, soccer is soccer. I don't know if I really buy into the hoopla about "tactics" — About how a manager can have this massive tactical impact. Guys like Klinsmann and Voller "got it" and probably have trouble conveying to a bunch of guys not at that level. Although, IIRC, the player complaining about Voller was Philip Lahm. Regardless, the American guys are used to growing up in an instruction-laden environment from youth on up. Their development isn't based on building soccer intelligence and skill base—it's based mostly on athleticism.

I think the Federation needed to recognize the reality of our player pool when they slected a head coach. Klinsmann has great ideas about the overall structure but he's trying to re-make the US in Germany's image.

Who knows we may look back at him as Cruyff was to Spain/Barcelona.

Edited by Elessar78

• 2 weeks later...

Freed of a Secret’s Burden, a Soccer Player Looks Ahead

The computer document was named LetterOfLife. Robbie Rogers, a former member of the United States national team and a professional soccer player in England, wrote it one night last December, pounding on his keyboard while sitting in bed. When he finished, he saved it on the main screen of his laptop and it stayed there, for more than two months, while Rogers alternately pondered it, ignored it and agonized over whether he could make it public.
Rogers noted, too, that it is easy for others to say he should simply keep playing or to say that the sports culture is ready for a gay male athlete to play in a major team sport. Yet of all the e-mails and texts he received, none — zero — were from other active soccer players revealing that they were gay.

“I don’t think football is homophobic,” Rogers said. “But clearly there is something there. Because no one reached out. Not one other player said he was gay. So there’s definitely still work to be done, right?”

“I’ve played in Olympics and won championships,” he said, “but I’ve told people, forget all of that: telling my family was the best thing I’ve ever done in my life. And posting that letter was second.”

What really stands out about that goal is the pass by Dani Alves to Messi with the outside of his foot with such precision is ridiculous.

I don't disagree. I've tried to strike it like that on PKs before just ****ing around and am lucky to get the shot on goal, I can only imagine being able to do it in a game and send it perfectly to someone else.

The influence of Lionel Messi on a Barca team that is World Class in its own right is beyond ridiculous.

Tumbling out, then the half fit talisman comes on and totally transforms his team and catipults them into another semi.

Dude is unfricking real.

Here's to the two Spanish giants being kept apart. That would be one Hell of a Wembley final.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

The influence of Lionel Messi on a Barca team that us World Class in its own right is beyond ridiculous.

Tumbling out, then the half fit talisman comes in and totally transforms his team and catipults them into another semi.

Dude is unfricking real.

Here's to the two Spanish giants being kept apart. That would be one Hell of a Wembley final.

Hail.

I would love to see the two Spanish teams play the two German teams in the semis

Man I hope Dortmund wins it. I been following them closely ever since I adopted them as my second team. I can rub that in my Bayern friend's face if Dortmund pulls it off. Dude is already talking lots of smack about the early title. Dortmund winning Europe after Bayern choked in their own stadium would be awesome. HEJA BVB!!

(Wish Man Utd was still in. I loved having two teams to root for.)

If Dortmund doesn't please let it be Real Madrid. Ronaldo will always be a Manchester Legend.