Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

why dont they focus on fielding a better product instead of new kits every year..... guess they can look good while playing like crap

Honestly it goes hand in hand. Building a better brand for US Soccer would help grow its popularity, which in turn brings in money, increased interest, etc. I'm not saying it's the chicken or the egg (we all know on-field success is the best brand booster), but I do think it's a component of success. Another component of that would be figuring out how to **** off CONCACAF's home team TV rights bull****.

For those of you who care, the US U20s lost to the 3rd world piece of **** refs and the Mexican Natl team in the U20 championship.

No matter how many times we see it, it never ceases to amaze me the lengths the rest of the world will go to screw us on the soccer pitch.

Great showing by our boys. And if the refs had called it on the level, we would have won. All without 5 regular starters vs the Mexican side that won the U17 World cup a few years ago.

A bitter lesson to learn though. You cant rely on a Suriname ref to be fair. It will NEVER EVER happen.

Yepp.... good teams overcome shoddy officiating. ... this is not a very good team

you clearly didn't watch the game. We had better chances until extra time when Mexico started to push harder. The 2nd goal by Mexico was a fantastic bicycle kick. Nothing you could do about that. Fact is if the two PKs were given in the first 90 mins the game is ours. Even the announcers were saying those PKs. The stuff the Mexican players were pulling could have reds or second yellows. It's just a fact refs are too scare to call things in Mexico.

Did anyone catch the Portland vs NY game on ESPN last night? Was a lot of fun to watch.

Portland was down 3-1 but came out of halftime with a vengeance and scored two goals to tie it up 3-3. Could have easily scored 2-3 more if they were more technically sound. They were winning every ball in the air and on the ground. Wish Caleb Porter could have imparted some of that energy and fight on the U-23's in Olympic Qualifying.

In other news, as far as ESPN is concerned NYRB are the only team in the MLS, and El Tri is our national team.

you clearly didn't watch the game. We had better chances until extra time when Mexico started to push harder. The 2nd goal by Mexico was a fantastic bicycle kick. Nothing you could do about that. Fact is if the two PKs were given in the first 90 mins the game is ours. Even the announcers were saying those PKs. The stuff the Mexican players were pulling could have reds or second yellows. It's just a fact refs are too scare to call things in Mexico.

I agree

I didn't see the game and can't really tell from the photo - was the card for studs up?

I guess. He caught him around the lower stomach. He was going for the ball when he ran in. The picture doesn't really tell the story. Nani had the ball right in front of him in the air and then suddenly the RM player sprinted in and Nani's foot was already there.

The player was focused on the ball and didn't see Arbeloa.

The EPL view would be inadvertent dangerous play and at worst a yellow card.

But there is the argument that if you play with your feet that high without regard for safety of others, you shouldn't stay on the field.

Edited by Corcaigh

How is this even open to debate?

It's immaterial where Nani is looking. In today's climate, you run the risk when your off the ground with your feet that high and your studs showing. Letter of the law there's no question the official made the right decision. And they have to officiate to the law as the governing bodies have taken all semblance of discretion out of the referees hands. You guys won't of heard Roy Keane, who knew a thing or two about real nasty, ugly challenges whilst playing for United, on yesterdays broadcast over in England. He said the same. No debate. Serious dangerous play when you leave the ground like that. And as for not knowing where Arbeloa was ..... your on a football field. If you don't know where everything is at the least in a 20 yard radious at all times, you have no right being there. Keane's words.

Seriously, where is the controversy here? Nani took Arbeloa out (who went off more or less straight away); by virtue of his studs landing above Arbeloa's waist, whilst off the ground with both feet. And that no longer washes in soccer.

This isn't the 1970's any more.

*The less said about Utd complaining about a decision with all that's run in their favor the last two decades the better. Oh the irony .....

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

De-Jong-Alonso-Foul-Holland-Spain-World-Cup-F_2476492.jpg

Similar kick by De Jong on Alonso in WC final. Just a foul. No card, nothing.

GHH, good point BTW about the officiating climate. I'm 80% sure that Nani acted without malice. When I saw it live, he's going for the ball. The leg is legitimately out to try to settle that ball. But in today's climate, yeah, you run the risk if you leave a leg out there like that. But Arbeloa DID run into the picture.

Edited by Elessar78