Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

2 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

I think it’s the Dutch league that uses a thicker computerized line when reviewing offsides to avoid a situation in which a goal is taken away because of microscopic distances. Should be adopted universally. 

Supposedly the PL is looking into adopting the thicker lines for next season.

3 hours ago, FrFan said:

KB scoreless as usually vs the top teams. Griezmann being possessed by NGolo Kante. First time I see an offensive player playing fierced defense like that.

This comment surprises me a bit, because I've seen every Barcelona match Griezmann has played, and while he's struggled to fit in at times (though he was a monster in the Copa del Rey and seemed to be rounding into form in the second half of the club season), one thing he has ALWAYS brought is intensity tracking back. It's actually an argument sometimes made by Barca supporters... "We can't pay that much just for his defense".

I'd have to think he'd have been the same for France.

8 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Really guys you're going to let me call out this nonsense by myself?

Offside is vital. Without it we are talking about a completely different sport.  I can’t really even comprehend the argument against it.  Let’s get rid of def pass interference...let’s get rid of illegal motion so receivers can be running full sprint downhill  on snap...let’s remove holdings. Makes absolute no sense. 

VAR is another story...

pogba was good today. So was Kante. the debate rages on 

Edited by SkinssRvA

1 hour ago, SkinssRvA said:

Offside is vital. Without it we are talking about a completely different sport.  I can’t really even comprehend the argument against it.  Let’s get rid of def pass interference...let’s get rid of illegal motion so receivers can be running full sprint downhill  on snap...let’s remove holdings. Makes absolute no sense. 

VAR is another story...

Nobody French is debating they’re too busy planning parade routes. Nothing anyone can do when they’re both playing at that level. 

7 hours ago, techboy said:

This comment surprises me a bit, because I've seen every Barcelona match Griezmann has played, and while he's struggled to fit in at times (though he was a monster in the Copa del Rey and seemed to be rounding into form in the second half of the club season), one thing he has ALWAYS brought is intensity tracking back. It's actually an argument sometimes made by Barca supporters... "We can't pay that much just for his defense".

I'd have to think he'd have been the same for France.

I trust you about Barcelona since I didn't watch any game. That's the first time I've seen him playing with such intensity trying to get the ball back with France. The only guy who always did it was Ribery. He was all over the field to the point that I don't remember he had any opportunity to score. I praised him for that but I wasn't expecting it in the 4-3-3, especially since KB and Giroud can't score.

Edited by FrFan

Hours late to this thread. 

Changing the offsides rule.  Get out of the thread man... as laughable as saying the keeper should be able to handle the ball everywhere on the pitch. 

Only saw highlights, Pogba was phenomenal... 

KB == Benzema?  You think he's no good?  Given space he can rip the net from anywhere. Certainly he will score more than Griezmann... but he will likely be a top goals and assit leader. 

Off sides doesn’t need to change.  Getting the calls damn right does.  As a striker for two decades I was pissed when I had goals take away because of bad decisions where I knew I was absolutely onside. The worst one was getting called offside on a counter where I was still on my half which negates any offside rule and I got flagged down after scoring by rounding the keeper.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fergasun said:

KB == Benzema?  You think he's no good?  Given space he can rip the net from anywhere. Certainly he will score more than Griezmann... but he will likely be a top goals and assit leader.

Actually history and numbers say otherwise, Griezmann scored 37 in 7 years (2014-2021) with a .4 rate, KB 27 in 13 years (2007-2021) with a .32 rate

KB outscoring Griezmann during this competition remains to be seen eventhough the task was made easier by Deschamps since Griezmann played more like Kanté than a real winger.

We won the Worlc Cup without him, and strangely nobody seemed to miss him.

He scored vs Faroe Islands !!! in the qualifying group for Euro 2008. During this competition (most shameful probably) he is scoreless.

Versus which teams had he scored ? Albania, Bosnia, Luxembourg and mostly during friendly games (England).

1222 minutes that's 13 games without a goal, an all time record !!! We had to play a friendly at home vs Austarlia (6-0) so he could score ! Then again he scores twice during friendlies vs Brazil and Jamaica.

Duirng his first WC 2014 he scored twice vs Honduras ! One of his goals being the first one awarded by goal line technology. He scores another one vs Switzerland !

Then he enters his usual ghost mode vs the top teams Nigeria, and Germany in the quarter finals.

I might have memory lapses but I don't remember him being named assist leader in any international competition.

I'm not going into the specifics about his off fields issues, just a couple :

On December 6, 2006, he said on RMC, about the fact that he could play for Algeria: "It is the country of my parents, it is in the heart. it is true that I will play for the French team. I will always be there for the France team. "Then" It's more for the sporting side, because Algeria is my country, there you are, my parents come from there. Afterwards, France… It's more sporty.

On top of that he is involved in the infamous sextape (Justice decision coming up).

Nevertheless Zidane called him the best striker in team France history (he is 10th !) :stop:🤢 

I believe Giroud (those two hate each others) would add at baby football ;):)

Edited by FrFan

LMAO every time a major soccer competition is on there is ALWAYS some knucklehead who comes in here wanting the offside rule to be abolished. Come on man, that would completely destroy the sport. Imagine football without a line of scrimmage. If you don't like it watch something else.

2 hours ago, Fergasun said:

@FrFan

I watch him wifh Real Madrid and he is fantastic.  To be fair, he hasn't played for flag for years... but I think you could be wrong about his talent.  

You nailed it, he's very good surrounded by Madrid stars, take him out of this team and let's see what he can do. When playing for France he's below average most of the time. In my book you can't be a great player when you failed every time you had the chance to play for your country, but that's just me.

Wales is pushing hard vs Turkey, Ramsey already missed twice, this game is quite entertaining so far.

Edit: Ramsey scores 1-0 Wales just before halftime. @Elessar78

Bale being awarded a PK and missing it ! :blink:

Wales 2-0 final score.

Today's training: Griezmann played goalkeeper, Coman, Dembélé and Giroud couldn't score :blink::ols:

Edited by FrFan

15 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

VAR is another story...

Pogba was stellar. He's not Man Utd pogba. I think the combination of Pogba-Kante is a dream. Zidane-Makalele 2.0?

On 6/15/2021 at 11:18 AM, abdcskins said:

At the very least I think they should modify the rule to allow players to make runs past the defender when there is forward movement (as opposed to players just camping around the goal waiting for a long pass).  There are too many situations where attackers are unfairly hindered in making a run and getting open.  Make the defender keep up with the runner - don't let his slow ass just stand there waiting for the pass.  It is a lazy rule that gives the defense an unfair advantage, and there are many people that agree with me.  

Because I have seen a few people chime in, this is what I propose.  I think there is a difference between players deliberately camping out behind the play and every defender waiting for a pass and a player making a run past the defenders as the ball is moved up the field.  I think it unfairly limits players for getting open and creating space to score.  There must be a way to differentiate.  I think everyone would agree that soccer could benefit from some added scoring and excitement.

I do not think forwards should be able to stay near goal waiting for passes - although I doubt many would even attempt doing that since they would be giving the other side an advantage by doing so.  Soccer is a fluid game and player movement is mostly determined by where the ball is at any given moment.

49 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Because I have seen a few people chime in, this is what I propose.  I think there is a difference between players deliberately camping out behind the play and every defender waiting for a pass and a player making a run past the defenders as the ball is moved up the field.  I think it unfairly limits players for getting open and creating space to score.  There must be a way to differentiate.  I think everyone would agree that soccer could benefit from some added scoring and excitement.

I do not think forwards should be able to stay near goal waiting for passes - although I doubt many would even attempt doing that since they would be giving the other side an advantage by doing so.  Soccer is a fluid game and player movement is mostly determined by where the ball is at any given moment.

This is a sport played and watched by billions on every corner of the globe, and literally nobody is even entertaining the idea of changing the offside rules. Bow out gracefully. 

This Italian midfield is so much fun to watch. Barella and Locatelli aren't household names yet but their time is fast approaching. Barella in particular is a player Klopp would come out of a lab with if someone told him to go make his perfect midfielder. 

2 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Boy you sure are grumpy.

Derision is the word you're looking for

27 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

This Italian midfield is so much fun to watch. Barella and Locatelli aren't household names yet but their time is fast approaching. Barella in particular is a player Klopp would come out of a lab with if someone told him to go make his perfect midfielder. 

Derision is the word you're looking for

We’ve been linked with him the past three summers now (of course, been linked with 9M others too.) Think the cost may be too much this time of COVID, even if Inter were willing to sell, which I’d doubt. Kid can do it all.

I still bang the drum for Chiesa though, after seeing him a couple years ago. A pacey winger who would be a nice replacement for Salah in a couple years.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Italy might be the 2nd best team in this tournament. This isn't like those traditional super defensive Italy teams, they can fly.

Mancini has got them playing a delightful brand of footy, and they are still missing Verratti. Would not surprise me one bit to see them in the final game.

35 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

We’ve been linked with him the past three summers now (of course, been linked with 9M others too.) Think the cost may be too much this time of COVID, even if Inter were willing to sell, which I’d doubt. Kid can do it all.

I still bang the drum for Chiesa though, after seeing him a couple years ago. A pacey winger who would be a nice replacement for Salah in a couple years.

Can't really argue with anything Mancini is doing but I think Chiesa is can start ahead of Insigne.

We have an Italian friend of the family that always says jokingly Italian players rarely move too far from their mother's kitchen (can't blame them) but the top ones rarely transfer out of Serie A for whatever reason. I imagine Barella is what Klopp envisioned Keita could be if he stayed healthy. 

13 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Can't really argue with anything Mancini is doing but I think Chiesa is can start ahead of Insigne.

We have an Italian friend of the family that always says jokingly Italian players rarely move too far from their mother's kitchen (can't blame them) but the top ones rarely transfer out of Serie A for whatever reason. I imagine Barella is what Klopp envisioned Keita could be if he stayed healthy. 

Yeah, there is a quality player there (in Keita), unfortunately, he is made from glass.

8 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Gareth Bale taking over top spot for worst penalty take of the year.

Congrats Wales

But was still best player on the pitch. 5 big chances created in one game. which if you look up how that compares to players over an entire tournament becomes an insane number.