Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Woot Game Day! Mia San Mia! 

(I’m crying inside not because we’re close to the final but in a year that’s so strange I want to celebrate with our other fans in the area and we can’t because RVA is still considered quite risky.  I’m not even sure what I’ll do if we go through today.  Championship day is suppose to be a day out for supporters. I know I’m a selfish a** for wishing things were different. )

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

1 hour ago, Berggy9598 said:

Serge Gnabry is the best winger or wide forward or whatever you want to call it in the world. Salah and Mane aren’t far behind, and all three combined cost about a quarter of what Neymar and Mbappe cost. 

Bayern has a young core that are made up of talented players that worked hard to get where they were.  Serge was rejected winger that honestly looked on the verge of ending up playing for a 2 tier team for years.  Coman was doubted constantly for his injury history and casted away by Juventus and PSG. Kimmich was sold for cheap by Leipzig and has become arguably the best all around player for how he adapts. Groetzka was always told he wouldn’t cut it at Bayern.  Sule was questioned for his recent injures yet stepped in early due to Boateng‘s injury.  Coutinho tossed aside helped eliminate Barca and finish out the match.  Ironically now Barca has to pay Liverpool more because he won CL which was in his clause which specifically said if he wins CL. Perisic was not appreciated at Inter and yet he’s been great for us. Sané’s urge to prove himself will fit right in. Flick’s ability to motivate is another level.  It’s Klopp ish.  He knows how to connect with the squad and is willing to take risks to play the style him and the squad want to play.   Bayern looks poised to real have a chance at European dominance as these players are only getting better.  They have arguably the best RB in the world and he’s 19. That’s insane. 

On 8/24/2020 at 2:31 AM, FrFan said:

PSG has invested €1 billion for that ! :rolleyes:

Bayern scorer comes from PSG youth academy ! :rolleyes:

A few years back PSG fired their coach, Ancelotti, the next season he won the CL with Real Madrid ! :rolleyes:

To think they could have had the likes of Ikone, Moussa Diaby, Odsonne Edouard (Off the top of my head. I'm sure there are quite a few more examples) off the bench instead of bums like Icardi and the fella that Stoke didn't want. 

• 3 weeks later...

new season, let's run it back, Redmen!

Top 4:

Liverpool

Man City

Chelsea

ManU

would like to see Liverpool still pick up a player or two... Thiago would be great, but it feels like he's slipping away.  can't question FSG's approach with the club's results, but they're being damned frugal.

2 minutes ago, dchogs said:

new season, let's run it back, Redmen!

Top 4:

Liverpool

Man City

Chelsea

ManU

would like to see Liverpool still pick up a player or two... Thiago would be great, but it feels like he's slipping away.  can't question FSG's approach with the club's results, but they're being damned frugal.

I think they need at least one player to provide more creative spark in the attacking half when the opponent’s defensive scheme, or other factors, are shutting down the front three. But Keita might be it with enough consistency and health. Maybe a healthy Ox? Maybe Minamino?

Just now, Corcaigh said:

I think they need at least one player to provide more creative spark in the attacking half when the opponent’s defensive scheme, or other factors, are shutting down the front three. But Keita might be it with enough consistency and health. Maybe a healthy Ox? Maybe Minamino?

i don't see it with ox, sadly.  he was on a tear when he got hurt, but he hasn't been the same.  keita has shown maddening flashes, but needs to stay healthy and be consistently great.  minamino did look like he was starting to get more comfortable with what klopp is asking him to do.  i agree, though, one more creative force in the midfield to help break down sides that are bunkering is needed, regardless if it comes from last year's bench stepping up or a signing. 

fun to have leeds back in the premier league.  that's your team, right?  or is that someone else?

12 minutes ago, dchogs said:

i don't see it with ox, sadly.  he was on a tear when he got hurt, but he hasn't been the same.  keita has shown maddening flashes, but needs to stay healthy and be consistently great.  minamino did look like he was starting to get more comfortable with what klopp is asking him to do.  i agree, though, one more creative force in the midfield to help break down sides that are bunkering is needed, regardless if it comes from last year's bench stepping up or a signing. 

fun to have leeds back in the premier league.  that's your team, right?  or is that someone else?

@MartinC is a lifetime Leeds supporter. You might have been thinking of him.

I’ve been a Liverpool fan since birth. My mother is from Liverpool. I don’t remember there being a choice in our house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

@MartinC is a lifetime Leeds supporter. You might have been thinking of him.

I’ve been a Liverpool fan since birth. My mother is from Liverpool. I don’t remember there being a choice in our house.

It was a hell of a game. Not many teams will go to Anfield and get at Liverpool like that. Mind you Liverpool should have had 6.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MartinC said:

It was a hell of a game. Not many teams will go to Anfield and get at Liverpool like that. Mind you Liverpool should have had 6.

Yeah ... they exploited Liverpool's weaknesses well and took their chances. Liverpool were a little overconfident in places and deservedly got burned. Fabinho needs to start if the center backs are going to be that aggressive.

And for your heart health Leeds might want to change their style against the stronger opponents. But based on one game Leeds are going to give plenty of people trouble.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Yeah ... they exploited Liverpool's weaknesses well and took their chances. Liverpool were a little overconfident in places and deservedly got burned. Fabinho needs to start if the center backs are going to be that aggressive.

And for your heart health Leeds might want to change their style against the stronger opponents. But based on one game Leeds are going to give plenty of people trouble.

There is zero chance we change our style - that’s how we play under Bielsa. 

11 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Well maybe splash on a rockstar center back or two.

We just bought one - Koch who is a German international. Cooper who is our captain and normally plays left center back was out injured and we are in for another center back from Croatia. 

We were solid last year at the back - but step up in class obviously.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

He chose the US over his native born Holland, because, word is, Ki Jana Hoever is tipped to be the Oranje RB, taking over from Dumfries, in the very near future.

I do like Dest, think he has talent, but he’s got a way to go to be a solid all around RB. Training in one of those two sides will help immensely.

18 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

They finally figured out college soccer gets you a finish behind Panama and watching the WC at the house. 

When flicking through the channels for something to watch I occasionally come across college soccer. After watching for a bit I try to work out if it’s men’s or women’s soccer.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 1

As to the above tweet about USA bedrock youngsters, I would also add Sargent, and Weah. If they can find a LB, and CB’s among a very promising group of young players, the US could make a little noise in 2022, and be a talked about side in 2026. The caveat is injuries (as always), and Berhalter (or a hopefully more qualified manager) needs to select and play these youngsters together in national caps, in order to get them to gel. Bradley, Altidore, Zardes, and the like should be nowhere near these kids and this team.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

French Soccer Roiled by Claims of Toxic Workplace Culture :stop:🤢

"But inside the federation, current and former officials said, that golden aura has masked at least two years of roiling discontent, including accusations of improper behavior by executives toward female staff members, charges of bullying by the organization’s director general and complaints about a toxic culture in which some men routinely direct sexist language and suggestive remarks toward female staff members......."

Edited by FrFan