Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

6 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

I’d be incredible too if the other team refused to acknowledge the fact that I was on the pitch. If so dire is the need to protect Pepe that your right completely ignore the left wing back then he shouldn’t be on the pitch, and why play Carvalho and Danilo together if neither of them is protecting the back four? Santos completely crapped his pants today 

Pepe has always been overrated, always the weak link of their D on top of that he's 38 !!! As @TryTheBeal! said the team was falling appart mentally

Edited by FrFan
3 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Pepe has always been overrated, always the weak link of their D on top of that he's 38 !!! As @TryTheBeal! said the team was falling appart mentally

Of course they are otherwise they wouldn’t be Portugal. Germany aren’t a whole lot better than they showed against France. 

• Like 1

Norway's football clubs to vote on Qatar World Cup boycott

""sportswashing" -- the polishing of a country's public image through a major sporting event."

Report: More than 6,500 migrant workers have died during Qatar's World Cup prep

"According to The Guardian, 2,711 workers from India, 1,641 from Nepal, 1,018 from Bangladesh, 824 from Pakistan and 557 from Sri Lanka have died working in Qatar since 2010. The Guardian estimates that the actual death toll of migrant workers is "considerably higher" since the data it cites is limited to the listed countries."

WCH (world cup hypocrits) who are all turning a blind eye on that 🤢

Granting the organization of a WC to a country that is football wise totally and absolutely irrelevant. A country accused of bribery by US department of justice.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/campaigns/2016/03/qatar-world-cup-of-shame/

Edit : Norway voted against boycott of WC Qatar by a landslide (75%). I guess FIFA threats came to fruition, no matter the leader this organization is rotten to the bone (Argentina 78 ---> Qatar 2022).

Edited by FrFan

Dembelé sorry Dembléssé :P out for the rest of the tounament. Another media feud after Giroud complaining about Mbappé so called "selfishness", now Griezmann complaining about KB not scoring. :rolleyes: At this stage I truly think Gignac would have played much better than the couple of clumsy walkers we have up front. I'm wondering about Kanté and Griezmann, they have been all over the field and might run out of gas.

Edited by FrFan

KB scored twice, sky is falling ! :P Eventhough he was granted a pk (from Mbappé) he did the job. Let's see if he can do that on a regular basis. :unsure:

Pogba was unfortunately as usually inconsistent, assisting KB and causing too many turnovers. Mbappé, Griezmann and Kanté were very active and Kimpembe solid.

Last but not least the officiating was piss poor (Lloris should have been ejected, four French booked no Portuguese !!!, no pk awarded to Coman).

On to the next round with a couple of big clashes Belgium vs Portugal and England vs Germany

Edit: Neue Zürcher Zeitung warns that the case is not yet over for les Bleus: "In sport too, the French are used to condescending by calling their Swiss neighbors" "the little Swiss. "" But concedes that "if the Blues do not have exactly a champion's course, the French team has provided only the minimum service" demonstrating "energy-saving realism". And that we should be wary of “national coach Didier Deschamps, known for his cunning. "

Little swiss is a reference to a french cheese

Our group was the toughest, and the next rounds are getting even tougher (Croatia, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Belgium) while on the other side it's quite the opposite.

Things are getting worse, Dembele, Lemar, Hernandez, Digne, Thuram, all injured !

Edited by FrFan

KB came up big today.  He would have been ragged on for missing the PK, but his 2nd was class.  90% of even the pros clatter that wide or into the goalie.  Felt the overall result was poor for Portugal.... Mbappe-Semedo... it looked like Mbappe ran into him, at the same time Semedo was not playing the ball.  Pogba looked like National Team Pogba again.  

We were all wanting Hungary... they were about 10 min short.

Watching Columbia vs Brazil last night was a reminder the U.S. still has a ways to go.  As good as we looked beating Mexico, I am not sure we would have had a good chance to beat either of those two teams last night.  I am not saying we would have lost to Columbia, but their D looked good.  Brazil was Brazil, and they just keep attacking.  Even their D look to move the ball to the attack quickly.  

1 hour ago, gbear said:

Watching Columbia vs Brazil last night was a reminder the U.S. still has a ways to go.  As good as we looked beating Mexico, I am not sure we would have had a good chance to beat either of those two teams last night.  I am not saying we would have lost to Columbia, but their D looked good.  Brazil was Brazil, and they just keep attacking.  Even their D look to move the ball to the attack quickly.  

https://fr.soccerway.com/players/players_abroad/united-states/ . As we say Rome wasn't biuld in a day, time will come. Most difficult thing will be to keep the balance between players developing outside the country and within.

The average MLS team is valued at $313mm (30% growth from last year) and team valuation growth outpaces every major US league team valuation growth by at least 2x Link

7 hours ago, Fergasun said:

KB came up big today.  He would have been ragged on for missing the PK, but his 2nd was class.  90% of even the pros clatter that wide or into the goalie.

Spaniards missed 5 pks in a row !

Edited by FrFan

Uefa scrap away goals rule for all club competitions

The away goals rule has been scrapped for all Uefa club competitions from next season, it has been confirmed.

The away goals rule, initially used back in 1965, was brought in to determine a winner in two-legged knockout ties where the two teams had scored the same number of goals on aggregate over the two matches. The winner, in such a scenario, was the team who scored more goals in the away leg.

But the rule has come in for criticism in recent years with home advantage no longer as strong across the game and many believing the rule to be inherently unfair on those teams playing second in a two-legged tie.

Now extra-time and - should they be needed - penalties will decide such games.

Commenting on the announcement, Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin said: “The away goals rule has been an intrinsic part of Uefa competitions since it was introduced in 1965. However, the question of its abolition has been debated at various Uefa meetings over the last few years. Although there was no unanimity of views, many coaches, fans and other football stakeholders have questioned its fairness and have expressed a preference for the rule to be abolished.

That's not more fun... we have had so much excitement with the away goals rule.  PSG-Barca... Spurs-Ajax... was it Man City vs. Man U (?) with the offsides goal called back.  

I started watching around 15' and Wales has barely had the ball in the attacking 3rd. 

Denmark #14 -- Damsgaard has looked like a great player. 

The entire Wales team is invisible.  ESPN is acting like they just have to come out and "punch Denmark in the face" in the 2nd half.  Horrible commentary from Twilman... Wales looks like they don't have the talent to keep up.  

On 6/24/2021 at 7:15 AM, gbear said:

The core of this USA team is in the 18-23 year old range, they aren’t ready for the big time…yet. In 2026 WC,  I expect them to be one of those sides nobody wants to face, and if they keep developing talent, or should I say sending talent overseas to develop, they have a real chance to be a top 10, or better squad.

A projected starting 11 right now would likely include 10 players getting first team run on top 5 European league sides. America is churning out young talent, and many are going abroad to further their development. The fact that top 5 league games are readily accessible on television in America now, will only lead to more and more kids looking at soccer as a legitimate sport to pursue. The USA could be an international player sooner than many think.

Edited by Long n Left

Malen missing one on one with the Czech goal keeper, on the next play De Ligt gets a red !

1-0 Czech Republic, 20' left

Edited by FrFan

The margin between victory and defeat have been utter thin and make for thrilling matches, albeit a 0-0 tie is about as unexciting as things go. 

Austria offsides goal called back. 

Netherlands game turning on a blown breakthru on goal followed shortly by a red card they can't overcome (kudos to Czech Republic for scoring with the extra man). 

Thorgan Hazard with a huge strike out of nowhere vs. Jota missing the net for Portugal in a better chance.  No telling how the game would have gone in the 2nd half if Belgium were not sitting back.  Portugal also had a blister off the post and a perfectly executed header straight into the keeper. 

About as physical a match as we get... I mean Pepe was involved and I think he caused 2 bench clearing brawls.  Quite honestly if Belgium tackle thru the whistle, fair play to tackle them back...