Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Morning Storm...

Btubes18

Well here's what I know, my slug driver this morning is a dick. Organized hitchhiking, for those wondering.

He called out for 14th and New York Avenue...which means he was going up 14th street and making a right on New York Avenue, heading in the direction of Chinatown. Perfect...I work in Chinatown, on H street. Of course, when I got picked up in Woodbridge, it was sunny and I had no idea what was on the horizon and thus had no umbrella.

Flash forward an hour, past the bus that was on fire on 395, into the city. It is pouring rain, lightning everywhere. Driver approaches intersection of 14th and New York, pulls over, looks at the riders and says "Good luck."

Seriously? We work on the same damn street!! People are offered to go further down in these situations when it's 72 degrees and sunny. It's not expected, but in this weather...would it have killed him to drive us down New York Avenue, the same direction he was going anyway?

Apparently it would have. So I spent a good half hour running from overhang to overhang down H street, getting soaked in the process, and here I sit in my office, soaking wet, the A/C on full blast with no way of shutting it off. I won't wish too much harm on that guy, but I hope he messes up a presentation in front of his boss or something.:saber:

ah... both originally from Mclean, and I work right around the corner from you now as well... are you following me? :paranoid:

I had some morning errands and biked in after the storm... but it was PITCH BLACK at 730 at my house, and there were minor tree limbs down all over the place during my ride in. I actually stopped at the cvs at the corner of 14th and NY ave to grab a water... there was a set of forlorn soggy footprints in front of the InterAmerican Development Bank heading down new york ave, i think there were teardrops interspersed as well... ;)

I was in it, I took me 3 hours to get home!
I just met a buddy for drinks in Crystal City. The next day, from north old town to Reagan, the GW parkway looked like a twister just went right up it.

I work in old town and that day when I got outside I realized that a tree had fallen at the entrance of our parking lot so I had to drive my SUV over the curb and sidewalk to get out of here. And on the way home, GW Parkway definitely did look like a tornado had hit. They had it shut down southbound and had some equipment on that side of the road removing trees. I was lucky that none fell into the NB lanes.

Did you guys see the HUGE tree that was uprooted and sitting in the median for a few days?

We barely got a bit of rain in Springfield.

However...

I woke up at 8AM this morning and it was dark outside. I wondered if I slept through my whole day and missed work. It was so weird. I snoozed for 10 minutes and got up and checked weather.com (for convenience) and it said that Fairfax County was under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning. Looked at the radar and it looked like it barely missed us.

Weird.

****. I'm still w/o power. This is day two. Tomorrow will be day three. They say maybe I'll get it back by 5 PM tomorrow. Nobody has done ****. Tree is still down blocking the road. High wires still in the road. No help in sight. :wtf:

Yesterday's commute home from Bethesda coming up CT Ave was the worst I've seen. Cops weren't even trying to direct traffic. Every traffic light was out from the DC line north up CT Ave to Viers Mill Rd. It was mass chaos and anarchy. I finally gave up and turned around and took I-270.

No power, no light, no TV, no fios, no internet, no phone, no refrigeration, no dishwasher, no laundry, no hot water, no oven. Typing this from the county library but my hour is almost up...

Not much to do but drink.

Fortunately, I have a game to go to today. :)

Typing this from the county library but my hour is almost up...

Not much to do but drink.

Fortunately, I have a game to go to today. :)

Internet at the library. Makes me feel like its 1998 all over again. Of course I was a craft little **** and got more than an hour to play games as well.

Got my power back Friday while I was at the game. :)

Here are some pics.

This is the west side of Brookeville at the intersection of Rt 97 and Brookeville Rd. There's a small creek that goes under both roads, and it flooded.

This is looking north up Georgia Ave during the Thursday morning rush. The water rushing across Georgia Ave was halfway up the wheel wells...

dcp6606s.jpg

This is looking west up Brookeville Rd - the road is completely under water, and the current is moving real fast...

dcp6608s.jpg

dcp6612s.jpg

This is my neighbor's yard. She lives on the corner and alongside the creek. Three quarters of her grassy lot was underwater. Her cellar flooded, of course.

dcp6611s.jpg

On the other side of town, 400 yards away, the road was also closed because a huge limb fell across it, taking down all the utility wires with it...

dcp6613s.jpg

dcp6614s.jpg

dcp6615s.jpg

dcp6616s.jpg

The high voltage lines running at the top of the pole have been completely stripped and are lying in the road...

dcp6617s.jpg

dcp6618s.jpg

Meanwhile, in the center of town, there's another huge limb that had fallen and was lying on top of the high voltage lines.

dcp6619s.jpg

The next day, Friday, nobody had done a thing to remove the wreckage and restore power. This pic was taken Friday morning:

dcp6621s.jpg

Fortunately, power was restored by Friday evening, although the tree was still in the road as of Saturday night.

Archived