Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serious Question: Is Today Abnormally Hot?

Hubbs

I know that we've pretty much been experiencing one continuous heat wave for a month now, and that temps have been near record levels for the past few days, but my walk to work this morning felt different. I don't know if it's humidity, the ozone layer, maybe everyone in China jumped at the same time and they pushed us closer to the sun when they landed... but it felt significantly hotter than even the worst days this summer have been, even though the local news doesn't sound any different than it did yesterday. I thought maybe the weather people here who actually understand how atmospheric stuff is calculated in the heat index could drop some knowledge. Is there some reason today feels ridiculously hot, or am I taking crazy pills?

I know I've been melting a lot recently. I also know the largest chunk of ice since at least '62 just dropped off Antartica, I think they said it was the size of multiple Manhattens and ten times higher than the Empire State Building. That sucker apparently had enough fresh water to supplythe United States for a month.

Anyway, yes it has been unGodly hot.

It's a predictable consequence of a world in which the Democrats in Washington actually proposed creating a system that will slow the growth of Medicare and Medicaid, and the Republicans unanimously (and successfully) opposing it.

Thermodynamics clearly states that Hell freezing over has consequences.

I think there's something to the OP. The Post's weather section says that it's going to be VERY hot and humid. The high will be 98 (which, by itself, is very hot). The current temp is 88 but it feels like 95 according to the site. I'm not sure how to calculate that out further, but I would assume as the temp rises another 10 degrees, it will feel like it's AT LEAST 105 at some point today. That's pretty uncomfortable!

I know that we've pretty much been experiencing one continuous heat wave for a month now, and that temps have been near record levels for the past few days, but my walk to work this morning felt different. I don't know if it's humidity, the ozone layer, maybe everyone in China jumped at the same time and they pushed us closer to the sun when they landed... but it felt significantly hotter than even the worst days this summer have been, even though the local news doesn't sound any different than it did yesterday. I thought maybe the weather people here who actually understand how atmospheric stuff is calculated in the heat index could drop some knowledge. Is there some reason today feels ridiculously hot, or am I taking crazy pills?

It's the increasing humidity that is making it feel hotter.

It's August man, it's the dog days. The humidity is what makes it seem like it's ridiculously hot. It has been really hot this summer though. Can't wait until September when nice weather returns. Summer here is horrible. It's just too humid unless you're on the beach swimming.

The day I left for Arkansas last week, I heard on the Monday morning news that if hte temp averaged 83%, it would be the hottest July on record beating a July in the 70's. Yuck!

The I go to Arkansas, I hear it has been moderate temps here in DC by our summer standards, and I hit record temps for 3 of my 4 full days there. We're talking 104, 110, and 106...with humidity because we are in and near hot springs. I thought I was going to die. Even going to the lake offered little relief because it felt like a hot tub.

So I come back to DC, and gosh darn it if this humid hot crap isn't still following me like some stray dog who thinks I was the last one to feed it. All I can say is walking my dogs last night almost felt like I was doing so underwater for all the humidity in the air.

Every night, I just keep telling myself, "Put an X through today. We are now one day closer to the fall season I love most."

It's August man, it's the dog days. The humidity is what makes it seem like it's ridiculously hot. It has been really hot this summer though. Can't wait until September when nice weather returns. Summer here is horrible. It's just too humid unless you're on the beach swimming.

It was August yesterday, and the day before. Today feels much worse for some reason.

Saint Petersburg Weather :D

Save Location Updated: Aug 11, 2010, 10:45am EDT

Forecast: 28.png

Showers in the Vicinity Temperature: 81°F

Feels Like: 89°

Next 36 Hours

When:TodayForecast: 38.png Scattered T-Storms / Wind Temperature: 89°

High

When:TonightForecast: 47.png Scattered T-Storms Temperature: 82°

:TomorrowForecast: 38.png Scattered T-Storms Temperature: 89°

High

blank.gif Boone, NC

My trip the 15th-19th is looking excellent. :pfft:

High /

Low (°F) Precip. % blank.gif Today

Aug 11 38.gif Scattered T-Storms 83°/65° 40 % Thu

Aug 12 38.gif Scattered T-Storms 81°/63° 40 % Fri

Aug 13 38.gif Scattered T-Storms 79°/64° 40 % Sat

Aug 14 38.gif Scattered T-Storms 75°/64° 40 % Sun

Aug 15 38.gif Scattered T-Storms 74°/63° 40 % Mon

Aug 16 38.gif Scattered T-Storms 73°/62° 40 % Tue

Aug 17 38.gif Scattered T-Storms 73°/62° 40 % Wed

Aug 18 38.gif Scattered T-Storms 74°/61° 40 % Thu

Aug 19 11.gif Showers 74°/61° 60 % Fri

Aug 20 11.gif Showers 73°/61° 60 %

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/extremes/2010-08-11-heatwaveonline_ST_N.htm?csp=34news&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+usatoday-NewsTopStories+%28News+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

This summer's stifling, deadly heat along the Eastern Seaboard and Deep South could be a preview of summers to come over the next few decades, according to a report about global warming to be published Wednesday by the National Wildlife Federation and the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.

In fact, according to NWF climate scientist Amanda Staudt, the summer of 2010 might actually be considered mild compared with the typical summers in the future. "We all think this summer is miserable, but it's nothing compared to what's in store for us," she says.

Archived