Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serious Question: Is Today Abnormally Hot?

Hubbs

lol

We haven't had a hot summer like this in a while, now all of a sudden it's a sign of things to come?

Odd, because it's the coolest summer out here since I've lived here (3 years).

Almost ever...

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_15723011

DC has been around for more than your 19 years...:ols:

Someone his age has seen several winters that were similar to this past one (assuming he lived here the whole time).

TD, this winter was unprecedented. Not even 1996 was close to this bad and that was bad, especially the first week of 96. Do you know how often we get one foot + snowstorms? Maybe once every 5-7 years. In the last 20 years up to this past winter, D.C. has had a foot + snowstorm in 93, 96, 03. That's three.

This past winter we had foot + snowstorms in December before winter even technically started, and twice in February. Three in one winter is unprecedented. Two would have been ridiculous enough. I mean we are talking about blowing the 1888 winter out of the water.

Nothing has been "similar." In fact after the 79 and 83 storms, there was a long period till we had another foot snowstorm.

I'm not sure what the big deal is. This reminds me of summers growing up. Much like this past winter reminded me of winters growing up. I really think things are just getting back to normal after an odd decade!

In every major American city in the mid-atlantic region, last winter set records for the most snow. In DC, the previous record was from the late 1800's.

This summer has broken multiple records related to heat. Fairly to you, most of them have been in the last 20 years or so.

But the fact of the matter is that there hasn't been a winter like last or a summer like this in the recorded history of Washington DC.

Where was that, cause I know it sure as heck wasn't D.C.
DC has been around for more than your 19 years...:ols:

Someone his age has seen several winters that were similar to this past one (assuming he lived here the whole time).

TD, this winter was unprecedented. Not even 1996 was close to this bad and that was bad, especially the first week of 96. Do you know how often we get one foot + snowstorms? Maybe once every 5-7 years. In the last 20 years up to this past winter, D.C. has had a foot + snowstorm in 93, 96, 03. That's three.

This past winter we had foot + snowstorms in December before winter even technically started, and twice in February. Three in one winter is unprecedented. Two would have been ridiculous enough. I mean we are talking about blowing the 1888 winter out of the water.

Nothing has been "similar." In fact after the 79 and 83 storms, there was a long period till we had another foot snowstorm.

In every major American city in the mid-atlantic region, last winter set records for the most snow. In DC, the previous record was from the late 1800's.

This summer has broken multiple records related to heat. Fairly to you, most of them have been in the last 20 years or so.

But the fact of the matter is that there hasn't been a winter like last or a summer like this in the recorded history of Washington DC.

Grew up in Stafford and I surely remember snowy winters and hot summers. This used to be Fredericksburg Fair time (roughly) and I remember it being nasty hot and humid. And I don't have record books in front of me, but 92-93 and 95-96 immediately jump in my mind as the most recent. Not to mention the ones in the 80's I don't remember offhand!

Like I said, this really feels like returning to normal to me.

A foot of snow isn't a magical number...it's an arbitrary amount. We had big-ass snow storms every 5-7 years almost like clockwork. As you pointed out, this winters was the biggest, but so what? I consider a winter of 60 inches of snow "similar" to a winter of 55 inches of snow.

As for heat, I don't know. Hot is hot to me. I remember summers growing up when I'd leave the house to play basketball and it was a "code red" and my mom would chase me out the door with a jug of water. But, since that is pretty anecdotal and I know you study this type of thing, I'll defer to you regarding the summer heat.

I think the point is that having a snowy winter every 5-7 years and hot-ass summers is what we're used to in this area. What was odd was the past few years when we had very little accumulating snow and the occasional summer with not much heat and a lot of rain. To me, those are the outliers.

A foot of snow isn't a magical number...it's an arbitrary amount. We had big-ass snow storms every 5-7 years almost like clockwork. As you pointed out, this winters was the biggest, but so what? I consider a winter of 60 inches of snow "similar" to a winter of 55 inches of snow.

It's a benchmark. The average "significant" snowstorm for D.C. is generally 4-8 inches. To enter the top 10 biggest snowstorms in D.C. history, you need 14.5 inches of snow. A little over a foot is top 10 in recorded history, going back to 1884. We had three storms, two that hit the top 7 and one that nearly broke the top 10, in the same season. Insane. Also, this February was the first month ever to have two double digit snowstorms. A two foot snowstorm in December before X-mas is just ridiculous also. Every other historical storm has occurred Jan-March.

Now, let's look at the snowiest winters in DCA (Reagan) history...

1898-99 (54.4")

1995-96 (46.0")

1921-22 (44.5")

1891-92 (41.7")

1904-05 (41.0")

2002-03 (40.0")

This past winter, we recorded 55.9 inches. Well, looking at the stats I don't see anything approaching this insane total in the last....hundred years. We beat out the legendary 96 winter by nearly a foot and we did it by luckily evading snow after the second week of February somehow.

This was not a typical winter by any means and there is no other winter to compare it to, not even 96, which was unprecedented as well.

(This is all using DCA's flawed measurements, if we use Dulles, they recorded 72 inches this winter, the closest being 60 back in 1996).

My point is, we didn't just beat the records, we shattered them. I remember during the storm they brought Paul Kocin, the maker of the NESIS list on and he was just incredibly wowed at how unprecedented it was to have two historical storms in one season.

It's a benchmark. The average "significant" snowstorm for D.C. is generally 4-8 inches. To enter the top 10 biggest snowstorms in D.C. history, you need 14.5 inches of snow. A little over a foot is top 10 in recorded history, going back to 1884. We had three storms, two that hit the top 7 and one that nearly broke the top 10, in the same season. Insane. Also, this February was the first month ever to have two double digit snowstorms. A two foot snowstorm in December before X-mas is just ridiculous also. Every other historical storm has occurred Jan-March.

Now, let's look at the snowiest winters in DCA (Reagan) history...

1898-99 (54.4")

1995-96 (46.0")

1921-22 (44.5")

1891-92 (41.7")

1904-05 (41.0")

2002-03 (40.0")

This past winter, we recorded 55.9 inches. Well, looking at the stats I don't see anything approaching this insane total in the last....hundred years. We beat out the legendary 96 winter by nearly a foot and we did it by luckily evading snow after the second week of February somehow.

This was not a typical winter by any means and there is no other winter to compare it to, not even 96, which was unprecedented as well.

(This is all using DCA's flawed measurements, if we use Dulles, they recorded 72 inches this winter, the closest being 60 back in 1996).

My point is, we didn't just beat the records, we shattered them. I remember during the storm they brought Paul Kocin, the maker of the NESIS list on and he was just incredibly wowed at how unprecedented it was to have two historical storms in one season.

Agreed. I came up for the Super Bowl that weekend. I didn't get back to Williamsburg until that Friday.

Archived