Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Malcolm Kelly injures hamstring at Donovan McNabb's 'Hell Week'

SkinsNatsFan

Thats the last straw. Lets send San Diego our 1st and 2nd rd picks for the next 2 years for Vincent Jackson.

:silly:

I would punch a hole in Snyder's face if we give SD that much for VJ! Anquan Boldin is a better player, and the Ravens didn't give up that much for him! We could have had a player (TO) w/out giving up anything...that non-signing might end up biting us in the ass.

Another thing that prevents hamstrings is not practicing football at an intense level in the desert .

The problem is what he does, and every other WR in football does,(and most other positions) necessarily puts enormous stress on the body .

In the average joe stretching helps prevent strains and muscle pulls because we don't work the body to such extremes . A professional athlete going into his 3rd year in the NFL will know more about preparing to train and his body than most . Point is ... I am guessing he stretched .

The other point is... this really isn't an injury ... what the team is doing is holding him out as a precaution . It probably happens all over the NFL to all kinds of players but we don't notice because anything bad only happens here . Lets not write of Kelly just yet ...

Good post but I think you'd be surprised how many pro players do not stretch (and I'm not talking just before practice, but more importantly after practice and before/after lifting, which no one did), or if they do, do it half-assed. I was a therapist many years ago (norv era) and had a few skin players as clients and none of them took stretching seriously (nor did they norv!!) and from the way they talk, few of their teammates did either (stretching AFTER a workout was a foreign concept to them, yet the most important part of stretching there is).

Many strain type injuries can be prevented with the proper care.

I can only hope over time this lesson has evolved with the players.

Got to be available, you can have all the talent in the world but if you are always sitting on the bench, you fill the same roll as a scrub does. Kelly has been here for 3 years and has yet to make any real impact on this team. Potential is nothing without results.

I think some of you are being ridiculous.

The guy tweaked his hamstring a little bit while doing extra, voluntary practice with the guys over half way across the country.

It's not like he did it the first day of camp because he wasn't trying. And it's not like these injuries are always serious.

I'll take the tweaked hamstring and the effort over anything else every day of the week. He'll be fine. I just hope he shows up on game days.

Kudos for the kid to extra work, but he is really injury prone. I think 11 games in the last 2 years missed. Tana plays with a hammy, but these things do not tend to just go away, usually linger. Year three of great hands does not do us any good if he is on the sidelines. I hope it is just a nick and he has a great year.

Good post but I think you'd be surprised how many pro players do not stretch (and I'm not talking just before practice, but more importantly after practice and before/after lifting, which no one did), or if they do, do it half-assed. I was a therapist many years ago (norv era) and had a few skin players as clients and none of them took stretching seriously (nor did they norv!!) and from the way they talk, few of their teammates did either (stretching AFTER a workout was a foreign concept to them, yet the most important part of stretching there is).

Many strain type injuries can be prevented with the proper care.

I can only hope over time this lesson has evolved with the players.

just as an FYI - new studies are showing that streching does nothing to prevent these types of injuries, and that it may even be better to not stretch.

i know this because my fiance is a nurse working on her masters degree and has done research papers focusing on physical therapy as well as joint therapy.

just saying :)

Another thing that prevents hamstrings is not practicing football at an intense level in the desert .

The problem is what he does, and every other WR in football does,(and most other positions) necessarily puts enormous stress on the body .

In the average joe stretching helps prevent strains and muscle pulls because we don't work the body to such extremes . A professional athlete going into his 3rd year in the NFL will know more about preparing to train and his body than most . Point is ... I am guessing he stretched ..[/QUOTE]

Concidering that they were working out with a certified trainer, you can bet they did plenty of stretching.

MK has the best hands on the team, and Shanahan really likes the kid,

he is not going to be traded or cut.

Yea, but Moss has one per year, Comb has one per week.

You must be thinking of Thomas, because I don't remember Kelly getting too many hammy injuries. Knee problems, yes, but not hammy injuries.

Hopefully for him he can recover quickly and make an impression in training camp.

just as an FYI - new studies are showing that streching does nothing to prevent these types of injuries, and that it may even be better to not stretch.

i know this because my fiance is a nurse working on her masters degree and has done research papers focusing on physical therapy as well as joint therapy.

just saying :)

True enough. Research is a bit conflicting,but if anything,it is beginning to get consistent with when to best stretch and what it actually may help and not help. To say that research is causing a few ripples in the fitness world would be an understatement. :)

You must be thinking of Thomas, because I don't remember Kelly getting too many hammy injuries. Knee problems, yes, but not hammy injuries.

I did kind of exxagerate that, didnt I:ols:

I just lumped all his injuries together:paranoid:

Archived