Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Malcolm Kelly injures hamstring at Donovan McNabb's 'Hell Week'

SkinsNatsFan

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

On the day before training camp begins, the Redskins already face a potential injury problem.

Third-year player Malcolm Kelly, vying for the No. 2 wide receiver position, recently suffered a hamstring injury and might sit out practice Thursday at Redskins Park, according to people familiar with the situation. The injury occurred while Kelly participated in quarterback Donovan McNabb's "Hell Week" that began July 19.

McNabb, as he did during his time with the Philadelphia Eagles, invited some of his new teammates to his Phoenix-area home for a week of grueling workouts and team building. Wideouts Devin Thomas, Santana Moss and Kelly were among those expected to participate.

Kelly experienced tightness in his hamstring during one of the workouts, the sources said. He immediately contacted the Redskins' medical/training staff for guidance. The Redskins plan to proceed cautiously with Kelly, who worked hard to overcome knee problems and microfracture surgery after his rookie season. Coach Mike Shanahan is expected to address Kelly's situation after the first practice Thursday.

Although the injury is not considered serious, the team would rather have Kelly rest and receive treatment than try to participate in the early stages of camp. Hamstring injuries can linger, especially when players rush back before they are completely healed.

I hope this is a minor setback for Malcolm. He seems a perfect fit for the new offense and I'm hoping him and Devin explode on the scene this year. The Skins need both to have good seasons for the team to make any real steps to get back to playoff contention. After last years collapse I think all Skins fans are praying for a healthy season with as few injuries as possible.

Sheez, why does it always have to be something with this guy!!! I really want him to be healthy and contribute but damn...

That's exactly how I feel. I like the guy, want him to be great, but will we EVER see him do ANYTHING?!?! I'm sure it's more annoying for him than it is for us, so I hope he's alright and heals up quick, and doesn't have any more of this **** to deal with.

While Kelly watches practice Austin, Banks, Wade, Galloway and Armstrong will be getting his reps..I feel bad for the guy.if he misses too many practices his only chance to show will be in the preseason games. But it could be minor pull and nothing to nworry about.

Archived