Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just finished Atlas Shrugged

endzone_dave

I thought it was a decent read, I'd give it a 4 out of 5. I could have given it a 5 out of 5 but Rand spent an extra 300 pages trying to hammer her point across which she didn't have to do. The long radio sermon by Galt at the end was tough to get through.

Rand would have mixed feelings if she lived today. She was afraid that government would control big business but big business controls government - she'd be happy about that. CEOs are getting paid higher than ever, she'd love that too.

She'd hate how our government has to be everything to everyone (I'd agree with her). Distributing the wealth and accumulating massive debts to give money to the "needy".

The book got pretty predictable too. How many times is Francisco going to come in at the last minute to save the day.

I can't make myself read it.

I read the Fountain Head because I wanted a better understanding of the life lived by philosiphy so different from my own. I cringed reading the book, because it was like spending time with characters for whom I couldn't bring myself to chear while they were trying to do something I could care less about. It was like Seinfeld with the humor.

That said, I have thought more about that book than all but a handful of other books. It was worth sludging my way through, but I can't make myself go back for seconds with Atlas Shrugged. I have been told the characters in Atlas shrugged were not as 2 dimensional. Is that true?

I've always wanted to read Atlas Shrugged.

I'm currently reading many of the books that were slipped into scenes of the television show LOST and damn, are there a lot of them.

Just finished reading VALIS which is quite an unusual story. Currently, I've read a large chunk of Ulysses and to be honest with you, I'm probably gonna give up on it. It's bizarre and not keeping my atttention.

I enjoyed it, there were parts that I just skipped because they were to damn long and boring, but I enjoyed the theme of the book, its kinda of funny to see things she describes happening now, but of course if you are a liberal *cough* Perdicto *Cough* then you will hate both the book and Rand. She had some pretty far out there ideas and took some things to whole new levels, but the core of what she is saying I believe in. Atlas Shrugged is like a more indepth version of Fountainhead, she really started to flesh out here ideas in Atlas Shrugged. I think I will have to pull that off my bookshelf and crack it open again tonight.

I thought it was a decent read, I'd give it a 4 out of 5. I could have given it a 5 out of 5 but Rand spent an extra 300 pages trying to hammer her point across which she didn't have to do. The long radio sermon by Galt at the end was tough to get through.

Rand would have mixed feelings if she lived today. She was afraid that government would control big business but big business controls government - she'd be happy about that. CEOs are getting paid higher than ever, she'd love that too.

She'd hate how our government has to be everything to everyone (I'd agree with her). Distributing the wealth and accumulating massive debts to give money to the "needy".

The book got pretty predictable too. How many times is Francisco going to come in at the last minute to save the day.

You'd have to be blind not to see that GOVERNMENT CONTROLS BUSINESS today. Heck, why do you think so many businesses bend over to take the government's dry stick up their ass instead of doing the socially responsible thing and maximize profit? One element the book is talking about is called economic capture and a major aspect of that is today called privatization.

I liked the book

As a high schooler I found it persuasive (became a full blown libertarian for a while)

now i'm just mad that I was dumb enough to be that naive

I actually still think its a good book, but not as any sort of philosophy or poli sci lesson

She liked perfect people.

perfect sociopaths maybe

You are only 23... In 10 years, you'll change your mind 5 times at least.

So true.

I'm NOTHING like I was 10 years ago. In fact, I'd probably yell at my 23 yr old self to, "Get off my lawn, you damn kid!"

:ols:

Ayn Rand = Stephenie Meyer. The only difference being that corporations are substituted for vampires.
:tantrum: How DARE you insult Rand like that. NOTHING is as bad as sparkly emo-pussified "vampires" who stalk those they love :cuss:

yea, cause what a ****ing disgrace that is. O, those people with no money, born into ****ed up situations, yea they don't need any help. They'll be just fine.

Archived