Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

People associated with teams you hate that you still respect

thebluefood

There are always those choice people that align themselves with the enemy that you just can't help but respect. Whether they were before your time or staples of your youth, they're the people you loathe on the field, but can't help but like off the field.

For me? I have a few.

Yankees

-Derek Jeter. The man's been with the Yankees since I was a kindergartener. I just can't imagine baseball without him. As much as I can't stand the Yankees, there's no denying his talent and his loyalty to the pinstripes.

-Mariano Rivara. One of, if not the, best closer the game has ever seen. When he's called from the bullpen, chances are your team ain't winning today.

Orioles:

Cal Ripkin, Jr. If you grew up anywhere near Baltimore (including Washington) this guy was the definition of baseball. He's the guy that even a O's hating man like my father could approve of. He broke Gehrig's record, a feat no one thought could do, and he was a solid performer.

Duke:

Mike Krzyzewski-If you're an ACC Hoops fan that roots for any other school other than Duke, chances are this man is the epitome of evil; but let's face it, the man's a winner and he knows how to coach.

Sonny Jurgensen: Yes, believe or not, our own Sonny Jurgensen was a quarterback and star defensive back at Duke and even lead them to a victory at the 1955 Orange Bowl.

Eagles:

Chuck Bednarik-The NFL's last 60 minute man and a total badass. 'Nough said.

Cowboys:

Tom Landry-A man who for many of our posters has been responsible for a lot of heartache and grief, but like Krzyzewski he was a winner and a fine coach. Also, from all accounts, Landry was a gentleman.

Emmitt Smith.

I wouldn't have thought of Tom Landry, but when you mentioned him I kicked myself for not thinking of him.

And, I think Troy Aikman is a heck of a broadcaster. Possibly the best one working today.

Baltimore Orioles: Eddie Murray. A shame how Baltimore's sportwriters and fans treated him.

Baltimore Colts: Joe Washington and Mike Curtis.

Dallas Cowboys: Charles Haley and Randy White. Two bad mother-****ers.

Terrell Owens. The guy can flat out play football, I believe his 'cancer' is overstated and largely generated by overzealous media feeding off a reputation he earned almost ten years ago.

The guy works his butt off, stays in impeccable shape, works hard after injury, goes all out for his team whether anyone chooses to believe that or not. He is respectful off the field, never have you heard of him in any kind of trouble, no altercations with fans, no arrests, no problems of any kind, never even a cuss word. He maintains a sense of humor about himself, and is not afraid to poke a little fun.

I ain't ashamed to say, I like TO, I respect TO. I hate the teams he's played for, but I like his style of play.

~Bang

Emmitt Smith.

I wouldn't have thought of Tom Landry, but when you mentioned him I kicked myself for not thinking of him.

And, I think Troy Aikman is a heck of a broadcaster. Possibly the best one working today.

I respect Emmitt a ton as a RB. People get on him for how good his o-line was, but he was just an efficient back, period. What I can't respect is his broadcasting abilities. Why ESPN thought it'd be a good idea to try him out on MNF, I'm not sure. Nobody butchers the English language like Emmitt.

On the flip side, I agree that Aikman is the best guy for the job currently. I'll see people in the Stadium complain that he's a Cowboys homer and he's terrible, but that's a load of nonsense. He's actually usually very critical of the Cowboys (probably because he expects more out of them), and he's never afraid to call out a coach or player during a game if he thinks they're doing something stupid.

I really respect Ochocinco as well. He has his fun, but he works very hard, and there is no trouble from him. He wants to be the best, and he gives it all on every play. I like guys who truly enjoy the game, and he really does.

~Bang

Aikman and Jeter are the two that top my list

I respect Crosby's game, and really was a fan of Mario Lemuix. Seeing him live was a treat

From the college ranks, Bobby Bowden. He had many big wins over Virginia Tech, but man is the guy just a legend. Its a shame he will no longer be on the sidelines at FSU

From the college ranks, Bobby Bowden. He had many big wins over Virginia Tech, but man is the guy just a legend. Its a shame he will no longer be on the sidelines at FSU

I think what you really mean is, it's a shame for VT and the rest of the ACC that he won't be on the sidelines anymore. For FSU, it's great. :)

I respect Emmitt a ton as a RB. People get on him for how good his o-line was, but he was just an efficient back, period. What I can't respect is his broadcasting abilities. Why ESPN thought it'd be a good idea to try him out on MNF, I'm not sure. Nobody butchers the English language like Emmitt.

Oh, there's lots of players I liked to watch on the field, but I hate in the broadcast booth.

I loathe Theisman in the booth. Turn the sound off if he's doing the game.

I think what you really mean is, it's a shame for VT and the rest of the ACC that he won't be on the sidelines anymore. For FSU, it's great. :)

I am not ready to anoint Jimbo just yet. He actually has to prove it with wins

Bobby leaving, objectively, is great for the ACC seeing how dominant FSU was. That type of run that he had will probably never happen again.

Bobby himself was such an innovator, and such an absolute character and giant that you can't help but respect the guy. And this coming from a guy who watched FSU beat us time and again on the big stage with Bobby coaching.

Oh, there's lots of players I liked to watch on the field, but I hate in the broadcast booth.

I loathe Theisman in the booth. Turn the sound off if he's doing the game.

Theismann is too wishy-washy for me to take. Every off-season he's ready to hand the Redskins the NFC East crown, and once things start going bad he's first in line to criticize. The man has no opinions of substance to stand behind.

Cowboys - Demarcus Ware, he may be a Puke, but he plays his ass off, is good with kids and handles himself with dignity and class.
Ware's a good pick. I hate that he's such a beast for the Cowboys of all teams, but he really is the definition of class, especially for playing such a vicious position.
I am not ready to anoint Jimbo just yet. He actually has to prove it with wins

Bobby leaving, objectively, is great for the ACC seeing how dominant FSU was. That type of run that he had will probably never happen again.

Bobby himself was such an innovator, and such an absolute character and giant that you can't help but respect the guy. And this coming from a guy who watched FSU beat us time and again on the big stage with Bobby coaching.

Just remember, since 2007 and Jimbo was hired, I've been saying FSU would turn things around starting in 2010 and especially 2011. Well the time has now arrived and so far he's off to as good of a start as possible.

As for Bobby, I could write an entire thread page worth of material on him and why I'm glad he's finally gone from the program, but rather than bore everyone with that, I'll sum it up with this:

I'll always be very thankful for what Bobby did in the late 80s and 90s, and I'll never forgive him for what he did in the 2000's.

Archived