Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Things Soccer Could Do to Become More Popular

Hubbs

I think there are things that can be done to improve the game, but none of the ones listed in the OP.

Adding a 2nd ref, putting a sensor in the ball to note if it passed the goal line, replays run by an official in the booth, reviews of unfair play after the game (handing out suspensions for diving, etc.). Those things would add a lot to the game, IMO.

people who are into video games just need to play some Fifa World Cup 2010.

my friend who was totally against watching the world cup played some of this over the weekend at my place and now he's admitted to me that he's much more interested in soccer and the world cup after playing that game

r.e. offsides- maybe they could put a blue line in similar to hockey... once the ball is past that blue line there is no offsides. That might be interesting.

But if you want to make the game truly exciting, don't let the goalie use his hands.

I am not a soccer fan...however - nothing really needs to change.

I use to be like the OP and insist that soccer just needs to change a few rules. BUT then MLS did that, and lost other fans without really gaining any one.

Here's the think - FIFA has the most popular sport in a large chunk of the world. They simply need to stop trying to think that they will ever be that popular in the US. Soccer will simply fight with NHL for the 4th spot (Before you laugh that off, Attendance for MLS is about 16k. Same as NHL and not that far off from NBA).

Its like the NFL always wanting to go to Europe. Why? NFL is the number 1 money maker and attended league.

Its like the NFL always wanting to go to Europe. Why? NFL is the number 1 money maker and attended league.

Because it's all about growth. Expenses go up every year, you need growth year over year.

The United States market is tapped out. I do think that Canada is under-utilized. I'd rather see an NFL Franchise or two in Canada before London. Next, Mexico or other parts of Central America.

just curious...are you staunchly against ANY change to offside?

not eliminating it, but tweaking it?

I know you weren't directing this question at me, but I'd be willing to bet HH's response will be no to tweaking the offside rule. The offside rule exists for good reason. Why do you want to change it?

Because it's all about growth. Expenses go up every year, you need growth year over year.

The United States market is tapped out. I do think that Canada is under-utilized. I'd rather see an NFL Franchise or two in Canada before London. Next, Mexico or other parts of Central America.

What? Please lets not lower the quality of the NFL by having teams in Mexico and England.

Both of them!!!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

(sorry it took me a little while to respond, I fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard at this one)

(but here you go, just for fun: WC Ratings MLS Attendance)

Regarding the offsides rule, I think people would be more apt to taking it away inside the 18yd box (as in, when the ball is passed within the box). It's such a cluster**** in there many times anyway I don't know how the assistant ref is expected to see exactly where everyone is and who is touching the ball.

I would rather not speak of "the shootout" which would happen if the teams were still tied at regulation. What an abomination that was.

I'm not gonna lie to you Big O, I kind of dug "the shootout," even as a traditional soccer fan. I know, I know, my dark secret, I'll go hang my head in shame now.

I know you weren't directing this question at me, but I'd be willing to bet HH's response will be no to tweaking the offside rule. The offside rule exists for good reason. Why do you want to change it?

i think it's a very hard rule to call. and it's infinitely harder once the ball is inside the 18. once the goalie isn't the last defender, it gets damn near impossible.

the beauty of the rule is the strategy it creates....but once the ball is inside the 18, the strategy is largely gone. there's not much offside trapping going on, it's so bang-bang.

i'm not die-hard about this. i do think they need to consider more eyes on the field, i think it's really stupid they don't have goal line technology.

i'm against instant replay in any form, other than goals if for some reason goal-line tech couldn't be implemented.

I can honestly say that I have watched several World Cup games and have come to the conclusion that it would take A LOT to change my mind about the game being a complete bore. Of course the last Ghana game would be an exception to the rule.

Like others have said the offsides rule needs to be modified because when the defender sees that he is going to be beat he pulls up causing the offsides. Total BS IMO. Also, for those soccer enthusisats that claimed the "diving" doesn't happen that often? Really? Really?

I can honestly say that I have watched several World Cup games and have come to the conclusion that it would take A LOT to change my mind about the game being a complete bore. Of course the last Ghana game would be an exception to the rule.

Like others have said the offsides rule needs to be modified because when the defender sees that he is going to be beat he pulls up causing the offsides. Total BS IMO. Also, for those soccer enthusisats that claimed the "diving" doesn't happen that often? Really? Really?

The thing is, do you complain when a wide receiver dives to draw a P.I. call (which happens pretty commonly nowadays)?

It's an issue but diving is in every sport. But I wish FIFA old do more about it. I loved the Spain-Paraguay ref, he wasn't taking any of that crap. He was just like get the hell up.

The 2006 World Cup was more exciting because the ball wasn't so damn over-engineered. This World Cup there have been no goals off free kicks and barely any off set pieces which is exciting stuff.

The thing is, do you complain when a wide receiver dives to draw a P.I. call (which happens pretty commonly nowadays)?

It's an issue but diving is in every sport. But I wish FIFA old do more about it. I loved the Spain-Paraguay ref, he wasn't taking any of that crap. He was just like get the hell up.

Were not talking about a sport that is equal to a 35 mile an hour car crash when some collisions occur. We're talking about soccer. So let's stay on topic.

If you are talking about the bald ref, yes, he has been outstanding throughout the Cup. He's not having any of that diving BS and it's almost as if he's telling them to "get up *****.":)

I'll never understand the obsession with diving. Yes it happens, yes soccer fans hate it too, but good god is it overblown by non-fans.

How about football players stop ****ing and crying for interference calls every time they trip over their own shoes? Or basketball players stop committing a zillion intentional fouls in the last 45seconds of a close game with the hopes that their opponent will miss free throws? In my opinion these things are no different than diving in soccer. Intentional manipulation of the rules in order to give yourself an advantage. Yet I don't see people getting so annoyed when it happens in any sport other than soccer.

Allright, let's get creative, building on E-Dog's brilliant suggestion about bringing nut sacks into play:

-If the goalie touches the ball without catching it, penalty kick is awarded.

-No fouls

-Country that wins world cup is awarded permanent seat on UN Security council (well, 4 years permanent at least)

-Game is played on hardwood court to speed things up a bit

-Have a strategic alliance cup every 4 years (2 years after wc) between NATO, Warsaw Pact, OPEC, OAS, and the Axis of Evil.

I'll never understand the obsession with diving. Yes it happens, yes soccer fans hate it too, but good god is it overblown by non-fans.

How about football players stop ****ing and crying for interference calls every time they trip over their own shoes? Or basketball players stop committing a zillion intentional fouls in the last 45seconds of a close game with the hopes that their opponent will miss free throws? In my opinion these things are no different than diving in soccer. Intentional manipulation of the rules in order to give yourself an advantage. Yet I don't see people getting so annoyed when it happens in any sport other than soccer.

All valid points. Can a player get a card for diving? Like the guy Kaka "hit in the face"??

Yet I don't see people getting so annoyed when it happens in any sport other than soccer.

The main problem for sports fans is the complete and utter lack of any semblence of pride or manliness involved in diving.

Yes, b-ball players foul in the last 2 minutes. Yes, football players argue with refs. Yes, it is manipulation of the rules to buy an advantage.

But what you DON'T see is people acting like a bunch of candy-asses. That's what people struggle with r.e. diving. The fact that professional male athletes can act like such *******. Concerning.

In my dealings with one die-hard soccer fan on the topic of diving, he explained that you "have to sell it". Doesn't sound like disdain for the act of diving to me. Rather, it sounds like they (he) embrace it (when it suits their team, at least).

Don't watch Basketball, so i can't comment on that, but I do hate seeing players ***** in other sports. Why do you think so many hate Sidney Crosby? He's known as the biggest crybaby in hockey (as voted by the players, though they used a different term, i believe) and as such is subject to ridicule and vitriol.

Man, what a great argument for how awesome baseball is. There's no manipulation! You have to throw the ball over the plate and give the other team their chance! I made the same point in a different thread last week, and it was mostly dismissed. But now that a woman made the point for me (in a roundabout way) watch it be taken as gospel!:ols:

Anyway, before you get all uppity with me, remember I actually played and like soccer.;)

In my dealings with one die-hard soccer fan on the topic of diving, he explained that you "have to sell it". Doesn't sound like disdain for the act of diving to me. Rather, it sounds like they (he) embrace it (when it suits their team, at least).

One person is one person.

Archived