Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Things Soccer Could Do to Become More Popular

Hubbs

No offense, but these suggestions are terrible. The worst suggestion is to eliminate the offside rule. That would ruin the game.

The offside rule isn't well loved anywhere in the world. I can tell you from experience that getting rid of it after a ball reaches a certain point on the field would be a popular change just about anywhere on the planet expect FIFA. I certainly would hate to see it eliminated entirely because the game would lose it's midfield but certainly once both teams are crowding the area shrinking the playing field even more with off sides flags doesn't help.

The offside rule isn't well loved anywhere in the world. I can tell you from experience that getting rid of it after a ball reaches a certain point on the field would be a popular change just about anywhere on the planet expect FIFA. I certainly would hate to see it eliminated entirely because the game would lose it's midfield but certainly once both teams are crowding the area shrinking the playing field even more with off sides flags doesn't help.

Sure I know several players that would like to eliminate offsides b/c they are constantly getting caught offside. 1 of the amateur leagues I play in has no offside until you reach the 18, but that is 7v7 on an 80 yard field. You wind up with the savy strikers camping out on the 18. I understand they are going back to regular offside next year.

Please explain your experience.

messing with offside is a risky proposition. it is responsible for a lot of the strategy in the game. but i think once the ball is inside the 18, taking away the rule at that point might be a good idea. it's so bang-bang, half the time it's hardly a result of a smart play by the defense. the rule is so hard to call, it's exponentially harder at that point to get it right.

I think MLS could quite a few things without messing with the integrity of the sport. Its goal (pun intended) should be primarily to increase scoring. They should aim around 5 total goals per game on average. This could be done in several ways.

-Shrink the field

-Reduce the number of players

-Increase the size of the goal

-Alter off-side rule

-Increase substutitions

Just to throw out a couple ideas I haven't heard yet, why not substitute on the fly like they do in hockey?

Why not a rule regarding passing the ball backwards? Sort of a back-court rule for soccer.

I think MLS could quite a few things without messing with the integrity of the sport. Its goal (pun intended) should be primarily to increase scoring. They should aim around 5 total goals per game on average. This could be done in several ways.

-Shrink the field

-Reduce the number of players

-Increase the size of the goal

-Alter off-side rule

-Increase substutitions

Just to throw out a couple ideas I haven't heard yet, why not substitute on the fly like they do in hockey?

Why not a rule regarding passing the ball backwards? Sort of a back-court rule for soccer.

These suggestions would absolutely "mess with the integrity of the sport". These are terrible suggestions. Leave the sport alone. It's great the way it is, if Americans don't like it, so be it. These changes wouldn't increase popularity anyways.

These suggestions would absolutely "mess with the integrity of the sport". These are terrible suggestions. Leave the sport alone. It's great the way it is, if Americans don't like it, so be it. These changes wouldn't increase popularity anyways.

I actually like soccer, but can't really get into it for a lot of the reasons mentioned.

I actually like soccer, but can't really get into it for a lot of the reasons mentioned.

I understand, and plenty of Americans agree with you. The game is great how it is though, and most of these suggestions would ruin the quality of the game. Either give it some more time and really learn the game, or decide you don't like it and move on.

It's essentially hockey played with your feet.

not really. I mean, perhaps the basic concept of putting the object in the net, but other than that, they're not really alike at all. From the rules of the game, the flow, the skillset, the strategies, the physicality, the diving... they really aren't alike. One could argue Lacrosse is like hockey (I'd argue that its trying to be hockey), but I would not make the same argument for soccer.

I think the title should be renamed "Things Soccer could do to become more popular in America for one or two games until they all realized they'd rather watch a 'Jersey Shore' marathon."

Or the exciting climax of Paint Drying, the Movie

Its been nearly 40 years when both soccer fans tried to make this riot inspiring activity relevant in the USA and you'd think after Pele and a babe stripping down to a sports bra that the message has been sent:

WE ARE Not Interested.

Any shot that bounces off your opponent's scrotum is worth 10 goals. The shot doesn't have to get anywhere the net, it just has to ricochet off the junk. Although if it does go in the net, the shooter gets a new airplane.

LOL! good one E. Seriously though. Just leave soccer alone guys. If you don't like it, just don't watch. People that enjoy soccer don't want you to try to fix it.

Honestly, I think the biggest thing holding back futbol in America is the continuous play. Americans want a chance to grab a beer, go to the bathroom, but more importantly broadcasters want ad revenue. Where are the friggin' commercials. Why CBS, ABC, NBC, or ESPN want to air this game if they can't make money off of it? If they found a way to make money they would push the product more and make it available... eventually, especially in the sports desert that is Summer fans would follow cause there ain't nothing else to watch.

But it's all about money. It's not about the sport itself.

You guys are hilarious.

This thread needs to be re-titled to "Things Soccer Could Do To Become More Popular in America". Because half the things mentioned here would be met with either shock, hilarity or derision anywhere else in the world.

You guys are hilarious.

This thread needs to be re-titled to "Things Soccer Could Do To Become More Popular in America". Because half the things mentioned here would be met with either shock, hilarity or derision anywhere else in the world.

Not to mention losing every current American soccer fan.

You guys are hilarious.

Well sure. Futbol doesn't need to be altered to gain popularity in countries where it is already immensely popular. :pfft:

the only thing i don't like about soccer is the diving.

if there was a way to put a stop to the diving, that would be the only thing I would change

I agree. Until they go to a post-match review of game film, coupled with punishments, it is still going to be hard to regulate during the matches.

You guys are hilarious.

just curious...are you staunchly against ANY change to offside?

not eliminating it, but tweaking it?

Archived