Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Things Soccer Could Do to Become More Popular

Hubbs

I haven't looked it up, but does anyone know what the US ratings were for the Cup post US team?

http://tvbythenumbers.com/category/2010-fifa-world-cup-tv-ratings

Here are some of the numbers taken from the above website.

Note: The viewership average is for the entire telecast (including pre-game) as measured by Nielsen, not just the “game window” often referred to in network press releases. Some of these airings are repeats, note the telecast times.

288qk4m.jpg

better and more consistent camera angles. the mainstay overhead shot makes the players look too small and misses the actual action around the ball.

I've said for years FIFA should contact the NFL filming group for ideas because of the way they've revolutionized football through their additions of cameras and closer angles.

the current common camera angle in soccer is too far and gives a sense of detachment. you feel like you are watching from the back rows in the upperdecks.

So much in soccer happens off the ball. There's a good reason the camera angles don't focus on play simply around the ball.

And to be fair, we've had our share of low scoring, dull Super Bowls.

The only points scored in Super Bowl IX was a safety in the second quarter. Super Bowl VII was basically a 2-1 game (if touchdowns were worth the same as soccer goals).

We're not immune from low scoring matches in America, either.

And to be fair, we've had our share of low scoring, dull Super Bowls.

The only points scored in Super Bowl IX was a safety in the second quarter. Super Bowl VII was basically a 2-1 game (if touchdowns were worth the same as soccer goals).

We're not immune from low scoring matches in America, either.

Low scoring is fine, but that wasn't really great soccer.

Low scoring is fine, but that wasn't really great soccer.

very true. I am a die hard soccer fan, its my favorite sport, and i was super pumped for that game...

I almost fell asleep from boredom in the second half. ET was actually pretty exciting and the goal was electric.

Even Ruud Gullit and Steve McMannaman were saying that that was one of teh worst soccer matches they had seen and were disappointed that this was the final.

Also, the dutch can go **** themselves after that disgusting display.

One thing: Don't have a championship game last two hours and have no scoring.

Yes! Next time they need to plan on having a high scoring final! That way more Americans will enjoy the match!

I think this thread title should probably be revised to, "Things U.S. Soccer or MLS Could Do to Become More Popular." Soccer in general is already popular. When you draw 750 million viewers to the WC final, the discussion isn't relevant.

To me, the biggest thing MLS can do is raise it's level of play. I want to support MLS, I really do, but the matches are often too ugly to hold me.

MLS and U.S. Soccer need to invest more in the Soccer Academy. We need the academies to expand our talent pool by providing the best training available as well as educational, social, and material needs. If we want to expand our player pool beyond middle class youth, soccer in this country needs to offer pathways to economic stability. This would not only attract talented U.S. athletes, but also create better opportunities for MLS to develop foreign talent that would be more likely to play here professional.

Archived